Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm going to list my reasons to make it easier to read, as oppose to one huge paragraph that nobody will bother with:

- Always find myself getting distracted in everything I do, from school work to browsing the internet

- Never have any motivation to do work, go and visit friends, do anything worthwhile

- Daydream randomly, like I will just spend ages playing out a scenario in my head (What if I was a French terrorist or something equally useless)

- I'm very forgetful, can't remember simple things or much of my childhood (all my friends seem to be able to recall in detail so much about primary school)

- I feel like my thoughts are clouded, as if there is white noise clouding my thoughts (this gets really really annoying to where I just want to scream)

- Work is done at the last minute or late because there's no way I can do it otherwise, as if there is something mentally stopping me from doing it.

- Really struggling at Sixth Form now the work is difficult, I consider myself to be smart, but I find it so hard to stay focused and learn anything. At GCSE I was able to just listen for a bit, get distracted, do the work because it was easy and get great marks, but now it requires my full attention, and I just can't do it. I'm failing.

Can anybody give some insight? I'm embarrassed to go to the doctor because I'm afraid s/he will just dismiss it as laziness or something and that it kind of makes me feel weak where I'm so used to be top of my class.

I'm also worried that if I do go to the doctor and they ask my school teachers, they won't see anything, as I'm generally the quiet one in most of my lessons anyway, and because I'm at a new place for Sixth Form they won't really know me. Even if they asked my teachers from my previous Secondary School I feel that they won't have noticed anything because I aced my GCSEs..

I'm at my wits end with all this now, it's starting to make me feel depressed at how I'm failing everything and at how weak it's making me feel

Thanks

Bump...

ReputationRep:
    Sounds quite like me, but I'm just lazy/depressed. I ****** up my last year of school, still managed to get into a decent uni and everything, so don't stress about it too much.

Don't feel embarrassed about going to the doctor's if you really think there's something wrong with you, that's what they're there for. Doctors don't generally go round interviewing teachers though...

Do you think it's possible you could be depressed, because that would explain your lack of motivation/inability to think clearly etc.

ReputationRep:
    If you were the 'quiet one' in primary school I can say with 100% certainty you have NOT got ADHD.

(Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    If you were the 'quiet one' in primary school I can say with 100% certainty you have NOT got ADHD.
    I'm under the impression that there are two types of it, and that the type you're thinking of is the 'bouncing around the walls' type, the Hyperactive type, as oppose to the 'Attention Deficit' type.

I don't know really, I'm just looking for answers...

Thanks for the replies so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm under the impression that there are two types of it, and that the type you're thinking of is the 'bouncing around the walls' type, the Hyperactive type, as oppose to the 'Attention Deficit' type.

I don't know really, I'm just looking for answers...

Thanks for the replies so far
    Sorry, didn't read the title properly, missed out the inattentive part.

Your teachers would've noticed if you were inattentive tbh.

My sister has an adult ADHD diagnosis and I'm suspected inattentive but not yet diagnosed. I permanently had 'could do better' or 'not enough detail in her school work' 'needs to pay more attention to detail' in my primary, middle and secondary school reports.

I would say you're just lacking focus and motivation. Though I'm no expert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm going to list my reasons to make it easier to read, as oppose to one huge paragraph that nobody will bother with:

- Always find myself getting distracted in everything I do, from school work to browsing the internet

- Never have any motivation to do work, go and visit friends, do anything worthwhile

- Daydream randomly, like I will just spend ages playing out a scenario in my head (What if I was a French terrorist or something equally useless)

- I'm very forgetful, can't remember simple things or much of my childhood (all my friends seem to be able to recall in detail so much about primary school)

- I feel like my thoughts are clouded, as if there is white noise clouding my thoughts (this gets really really annoying to where I just want to scream)

- Work is done at the last minute or late because there's no way I can do it otherwise, as if there is something mentally stopping me from doing it.

- Really struggling at Sixth Form now the work is difficult, I consider myself to be smart, but I find it so hard to stay focused and learn anything. At GCSE I was able to just listen for a bit, get distracted, do the work because it was easy and get great marks, but now it requires my full attention, and I just can't do it. I'm failing.

Can anybody give some insight? I'm embarrassed to go to the doctor because I'm afraid s/he will just dismiss it as laziness or something and that it kind of makes me feel weak where I'm so used to be top of my class.

I'm also worried that if I do go to the doctor and they ask my school teachers, they won't see anything, as I'm generally the quiet one in most of my lessons anyway, and because I'm at a new place for Sixth Form they won't really know me. Even if they asked my teachers from my previous Secondary School I feel that they won't have noticed anything because I aced my GCSEs..

I'm at my wits end with all this now, it's starting to make me feel depressed at how I'm failing everything and at how weak it's making me feel

Thanks
    I feel your pain, so much. I'm in my 3rd yr of uni now and it's hitting me hard, got another email from the department today as I haven't handed in half my work this yr, not always through lack of trying I find it so hard to get started or persevere when it's so difficult. My life is a mess. I've always got by with good marks because of my intelligence but I fear this year I may crash and burn. I want to change, so bad, but I never can, I want my first, but its not enough. I know I will regret it, like I regret my years of underacheiving at school. I was in detention from the 1st time they set me homework in yr 4, but I was allowed to get away with so much in secondary school its hard to believe, then tried to kick me out of 6th form, but they couldnt cause my exams were too good. It's not like im lazy, I play sport 6 days a week, all weekend, I take every opportunity I have, but I can't translate that to academia. No, I'm not depressed, that was my 13 yr old self and I'm certainly not back there. I love uni so much apart from the work side of life.

I can't ask for help. I'm just too scared. I will be dismissed as lazy and making excuses for my failings. 'You're probably just lacking motivation' - how much do I have to want something before I can make it happen? It seems like if you're not that 7 yr old disruptive boy you can not get diagnosed and get help. The future scares me, I can't sit at a desk for 5 minutes without going insane, how can I get a job And I'm a chronic procrastinator, even for the simplest of things, like replying to an email or fb message, I have to leave it, often I forget, I'll do it later, like some sick form of ocd. fml.

ReputationRep:
    I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 20. You describe many symptoms of ADHD. What I would also ask you are:
    1. Do you display implusive behaviours. Let in class do you just blurb out the answer or make insensitive comments to others without thinking about what you are about to say.
    2. Also can all these behaviours be traced back to when you were a young boy or girl. ADHD is like say Colour Blindness or Autism it is much more common in boys. If these symptoms have only appeared since you were an older child or youth then it cannot be ADHD.
    The other thing to think about is that it is very painful to jump through all the hoops to get a diagnoses through the NHS. You will wait 12 months or so to see a Psychologist. Another 12 months to undertake the diagnostic tests with your parents. The Psychologist will also want to see School reports etc and may want to speak to responsible adults like a former Teacher, GP, Priest etc. This is a safeguard to stop People from faking the symptoms. Then you will undergo some cognitive behaviour therapy and get a referral to a Psychiatrist or Neurologist. This will take a further 6-12 months.
    Then they might write a letter to your GP recommending that he prescribe you a controlled drug like Ritalin or Dexedrine. Your GP will then start prescribing the medication. To be honest the meds have their drawbacks. They are addictive, you can develop a tolerance and are not usually good for your heart (they can cause mild palpations). I would not go the drug route if your ADD/ADHD is mild or even pretty moderate. If it is severe then I would do it. Also another thing is that you are likely to have co-morbid symptoms. That means your ADD has triggered another problem which is your case will be something like Depression, Anxiety or Conduct Disorder.
    I recommend the following book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ADHD-Facts-M...629920&sr=8-13

(Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Does this impair your reading / learning? How often for example in 1 hour do you get distracted? Can you easily go back to what you were doing?
    I'm rubbish at reading something and retaining information, takes a lot of time and effort to research and learn something from what I read.

I can go through reading something in school, and the teacher could ask something, or a classmate would say 'oh, that's interesting about X subject' and I won't even remember reading about it. This too happens if the teacher is talking at the class too.

In an hour in school I could get distracted every 5 mintues to only once or twice, it really depends, but I don't really know what on, it just happens. I try to get back to it, but it's not always as easy to as it feels as my head is against it.

At home whilst doing homework, I get distracted every 5-10 minutes, this post alone has taken about 1.5 hours to fully make due to me keep getting distracted by things that pop into my head to do. "Oh! I know, I'll go and Google about hedgehogs"

Do you feel unhappy aswell?

Pretty much, but it seems like it's due to me failing everything, last year I was happy before it dawned on me that I'm not able to handle Sixth Form life. I dropped out and started again this year, and I had a positive outlook, but failing again has depressed me more.

Can you notice yourself daydreaming and stop yourself? Or is it a way to stop boredom?

I do eventually notice and try to get back into things. It could be to stop boredom, but even if I'm not particularly bored I would still faze out, unless it's something incredible interesting and engaging, even then I have little moments where I'll get sidetracked, but it's usually easier to get back.

ADD is more about forgetting short term, do you also have a problem with this?

Yup. I'm well known amongst friends for my lousy short term memory, quite a reputation on that one, haha. :o:

Very ADD like

Also very ADD like

I know alot about ADHD, been through the diagnosis in my teens and got help from schoo and teachers so I hope I can be helpful for you

Thanks for the help How did you find the whole process? I generally hate doctors and hospitals, hospitals depress me so much, and would never stand with some process that takes 6-12 (or 18+) months. It seems like it would be so much effort to just get a diagnosis for this, despite not much being able to help? Obviously there are the meds, but I've already said how I'm cautious about that.

________________________________ ____

(Original post by willow162)
    I can't ask for help. I'm just too scared. I will be dismissed as lazy and making excuses for my failings. 'You're probably just lacking motivation' - how much do I have to want something before I can make it happen? It seems like if you're not that 7 yr old disruptive boy you can not get diagnosed and get help. The future scares me, I can't sit at a desk for 5 minutes without going insane, how can I get a job And I'm a chronic procrastinator, even for the simplest of things, like replying to an email or fb message, I have to leave it, often I forget, I'll do it later, like some sick form of ocd. fml.

The bit in bold
    : I actually found new replies to this topic at 6pm, it has been open in a tab since! I've not even done anything constructive for the past 5 hours.. This reply has taken about half an hour as well. It's absolutely impossible for me to do otherwise, seriously makes me feel weak.

To the rest: It's tough! I was at a talk today that was about half hour, 5 minutes into it and I felt as if I was going to explode, I know other people were bored as hell, but I have no idea if they got as frustrated inside, or how they control it.

I'm embarrassed to speak to my teachers, or a doctor, it's just because if they think I'm making up excuses, as you say, they'll just think even less of you or dismiss it.

Speaking of procrastination, I have some serious History work due in tomorrow that needs to be done...

(Original post by JamesF87)
    I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 20. You describe many symptoms of ADHD. What I would also ask you are:
    1. Do you display implusive behaviours. Let in class do you just blurb out the answer or make insensitive comments to others without thinking about what you are about to say.
    Not at all... I'm usually quiet

2. Also can all these behaviours be traced back to when you were a young boy or girl. ADHD is like say Colour Blindness or Autism it is much more common in boys. If these symptoms have only appeared since you were an older child or youth then it cannot be ADHD.

I kind of think so, it didn't really affect me until Year 10 onwards as before then the work was seriously really easy and I would just manage with listening for a bit then being able to get distracted or whatever.

The other thing to think about is that it is very painful to jump through all the hoops to get a diagnoses through the NHS. You will wait 12 months or so to see a Psychologist. Another 12 months to undertake the diagnostic tests with your parents. The Psychologist will also want to see School reports etc and may want to speak to responsible adults like a former Teacher, GP, Priest etc. This is a safeguard to stop People from faking the symptoms. Then you will undergo some cognitive behaviour therapy and get a referral to a Psychiatrist or Neurologist. This will take a further 6-12 months.

Three years?! Wow, I might as well give up now and apply for JSA or something. Haha.

I would not go the drug route if your ADD/ADHD is mild or even pretty moderate. If it is severe then I would do it. Also another thing is that you are likely to have co-morbid symptoms. That means your ADD has triggered another problem which is your case will be something like Depression, Anxiety or Conduct Disorder.

Not being able to work to what I feel is my best is certainly depressing me...

And I'm not really sure if I even want the meds. I just wish there was some super solution to it, and the meds seem like they're too strong for me to even want to try, not unless I got to the point where there was nothing else, that's even if I do have ADHD or am just stupid.

Longest post in my life, and it took just under two hours
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

sometimes you dont just have one problem if your reading and writing are effected eg. you can't spell very well and you struggle with gramma then you can also have dyslexia

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.