Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have had my braces put on in early January and am heading towards the halfway mark of my first year.

My problem is that I have an overbite and so i was given traintracks by my orthodontist to fix it. But my orthodontist is now a four hour train ride from my university. The clinic i go to only takes patients on wednesdays and fridays when i have lectures pretty much 9-5. My degree has points given for attending all lectures, but you have to attend them ALL to get the extra 10% and it costs me around £50 to go home and back if I wanted to get to an appointment.

This means i can't get to see my orthodontist very regularly I basically have to wait until i am back in my hometown for the holidays to have another appointment. SO the appointments are going to end up being something like 3 months apart. I have heard from some people that waiting that long isn't worth the treatment so I worry my treatment will be cancelled. And i really want my teeth to be fixed! But I just can't seem to find time, (or really want to spend that much money). I have thought about transferring to an orthodontist in the city of my university. But then from june to october i will have to do the 4 hour journey back.

I was wondering if anyone has ever been in a similar situation and could give some advice? Whether i should just screw the lectures and do it occasionally or put up with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I currently am on free nhs treatment.

ReputationRep:
    dont worry

and can't you just reregister with an actual dentist at your university and make appointments that fit you? They can just continue your treatment there

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be in the same situation from October onwards, but with a 6 hour+ journey

I think that the lecturers would understand as it's probably something they come across quite often, but if you can switch to somewhere closer, then there's no reason not to really is there?

ReputationRep:
    It really sucks - I've had braces for 2 years and every month have had to go for appointments and when I was uni which was 2 n half hours away it was such a pain!!!
    You can't transfer I don't think.

Also I used to catch up with lectures online so try your very best to keep up with the work!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.