Turn on thread page Beta

Am I overreacting? watch

Announcements

My boyfriend of one year avoided me for over a month about four months ago. This happened out of the blue, we didn't argue or anything. He just stopped texting me, ignored my text and few calls the following two weeks, so when I had enough I messaged him to find out what was going on as we usually talked everyday and I assumed he must have been okay as he had been out at parties a lot more often. He simply replied with "I don't know" and was fairly rude when I spoke to him on chat on facebook (unfortunately it came to that). When I asked him if we're still together, he said it's up to me, so after that I decided to give him some space. A few weeks after that I messaged him again to ask if he was ready to tell me what was going on. We spoke and he told me his mum wasn't very well and he was depressed (yet he still felt like going out more, odd). So I felt bad and we made up etc. However after seeing him again, his mum told me she wasn't that unwell so I just ignored it. Things were odd for a while, he called me clingy for hugging him and I didn't even touch him in public as he seems to have a problem with this.
    After all that, we're back to normal however I can't help but feel like he could get like that anytime again. I don't think it's very fair and the things he said were quite hurtful. Even though this happened a while ago, I posted about it because it's constantly on my mind and when I mentioned it to him last week he got furious and I'm not even sure why!

What I'm trying to get at is... am I overreacting by worrying about this and am I a *****? Most of all why do you think he was like this based on what I've said, do you think it's because he lost his feelings for me?

ReputationRep:
    are you clingy?

ReputationRep:
    he sounds like an odd one. just ask yourself if you like him that much and if hes worth it...

(Original post by hibiscus)
    are you clingy?
    Honestly speaking, not at all

ReputationRep:
    No you are not.

He sounds strange (no offence)... Have you tried talking about it since?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he was cheating on you?

Maybe he's gay. Srsly.

ReputationRep:
    He sounds weird. Don't let him mess you around anymore, get rid :yy:

ReputationRep:
    He does'nt love you . move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mj86)
    Sorry OP - this was my first thought too

ReputationRep:
    Ditch the douche. Seriously, been in your situation before. He doesn't like you or doesn't care enough for you. Do yourself a favour and leave him. I mean he lies to you, ignores you and shows he isn't really bothered about being in a relationship with you. When you see those signs that means you have to leave, took me 2 years to learn that and one of the lessons I'm glad to of learnt. I mean people spend their lives sometimes caring or loving a guy/girl who could not careless about them and it is sad thing when they are blind to what is happening.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think he was cheating on you, and why would you be with someone you had to convince to be with you?

(Original post by ABeautifulMind)
    I personally think he was cheating on you, and why would you be with someone you had to convince to be with you?
    This is what I only noticed afterwards, perhaps because I refused to believe it earlier.

Thanks for all the replies

ReputationRep:
    what makes everyone think he was cheating?

ReputationRep:
    Woah, I'm a guy, and I don't think you're being *****y or anything. I can't make a judgement on whther or not he was cheating on you, I have no idea. It could be anything, but a sudden and massive lapse in communication followed by him not liking physical affection does not a good sign make. In a relationship communication and physical affection are pretty much the founding pillars. If he COMPLETELY ignores you for any stretch of time, I don't see why you'd continue with him though, nothing really accounts for that. You can't just hope that this'll be a problem you can ignore, deal with it with him, or he should have to deal with being dumped.

ReputationRep:
    1) He might have been cheating on you. Maybe even making out/kissing (any sort - i dont necessarily mean explicit sex)
    2) He seems very odd.
    3) You need to evaluate if he's TRULY worth it. Does he treat you like you SHOULD and DESERVE to be treated? If he doesn't, plus he hurts you, it might be time to scrap up whatever feelings you've accumulated in this past year and move on...or maybe bring him to an ultimatum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mj86)
    (Original post by Magic Dust)
    Sorry OP - this was my first thought too
    same here

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like he might have been cheating, but can't be sure. It was my first thought, like some other people above me, but don't assume it's true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LOZZAT)
    Woah, I'm a guy, and I don't think you're being *****y or anything. I can't make a judgement on whther or not he was cheating on you, I have no idea. It could be anything, but a sudden and massive lapse in communication followed by him not liking physical affection does not a good sign make. In a relationship communication and physical affection are pretty much the founding pillars. If he COMPLETELY ignores you for any stretch of time, I don't see why you'd continue with him though, nothing really accounts for that. You can't just hope that this'll be a problem you can ignore, deal with it with him, or he should have to deal with being dumped.
    Have to agree entirely with Lozzat on this one, sorry

ReputationRep:
    so he may have been cheating and out of guilt he is behaving this way?
    what if he's not completely ignoring but being quite distant?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.