Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Haiti earthquake makes me want to make a difference in this world even more watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone feel the same? When I was at university studying english (I left in my first year) I felt as though I was just learning what other people already knew and what wouldn't further the world anymore than it was-I know it's important to have an understanding of the things you learn in subjects like literature and degrees like that can lead to work in politics or the media but in a world where politicians are choosing to spend millions on the olympics while people are dying due to lack of nhs funding and the media are preoccupied with celebrity these careers don't appeal to me.

I feel I need to make a difference-raising money for charity could be seen as doing this but I want TO use my knowledge to help people. I feel a bit useless though as I can't study medicine due to being really afraid of blood and the body in general. Does anyone have any iideas how people can make a difference other than working in medicine? Is environmental science or geography any use? Anyway, I was just wondering if this event or any others has made anyone feel like this or made them change direction in life...

ReputationRep:
    YES. Environmental sci- solve climate change!
    save 6 billion lives

ReputationRep:
    Go into Pharmacology.

Find the drug that can cure Cancer.
    Potentially not save 6 billion lives but you can still save millions by ending the war.

ReputationRep:
    good for you mate, we can all change the world if we put our hearts into it!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it has that effect on me too but I'm a medical student and have always had a strong desire to help people.

There are all sorts of jobs in the charity sector that don't necessarily go to disaster zones but are involved behind the scenes. If you want to help people 'with knowledge' then I suggest you do a degree in sociology or international relations or similar, become an expert in your field so you can influence policy makers/politicians etc. But you will find tonnes of beurocracy if you're trying to change things in the UK which would personally frustrate me a lot.

You could always do a regular job and agree to always pay 10% of your income to a charity of your choice.. I think historically some people always give 10% to either their church or a charity.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you go and volunteer in Haiti for a while (if you have the resources)? I see you're on a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    I was tempted to fly out there to help out (serious). Had my exams not of been now I would more than likely had of gone.

ReputationRep:
    no, i only want to help my family and friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onmymotherearthilean)
    I feel I need to make a difference-raising money for charity could be seen as doing this but I want TO use my knowledge to help people. I feel a bit useless though as I can't study medicine due to being really afraid of blood and the body in general. Does anyone have any iideas how people can make a difference other than working in medicine?
    Pick up a copy of David Bornstein's "How to Change the World" it has a number of profiles of Social Entrepreneurs and shows how there are a huge number of ways you can make a difference wherever your talents lie.

Do you have any causes in particular you feel strongly about ?

ReputationRep:
    Errrrr you can 'make a difference' at home you know - teaching, nursing etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    Pick up a copy of David Bornstein's "How to Change the World" it has a number of profiles of Social Entrepreneurs and shows how there are a huge number of ways you can make a difference wherever your talents lie.

Do you have any causes in particular you feel strongly about ?
    I suppose at the moment I'm annoyed with the way government funding is allocated-when people can't get the cancer treatment they need and special care baby units are under staffed due to lack of NHS funding shortages. This is while millions are being spent on ridiculously big projects like the olympics (I'm not against the event just the over spending on it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Errrrr you can 'make a difference' at home you know - teaching, nursing etc
    I know but I'd already said I was queasy around blood so nursing's out. Teaching's good but not what I want to do-I was just asking for ideas and about other people's experiences...

ReputationRep:
    Good luck OP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    no, i only want to help my family and friends
    What if environmental disasters get bigger in the future and start to affect future generations of your family? I agree charity starts at home but we have to think about the future of that home.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to make the world a better place, you've gotta look at yourself and make that change ~man in the mirror- MJ~

very true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onmymotherearthilean)
    What if environmental disasters get bigger in the future and start to affect future generations of your family? I agree charity starts at home but we have to think about the future of that home.
    there wont be any future generations since neither me nor my sister are having kids

(Original post by fox_the_fix)
    I was tempted to fly out there to help out (serious). Had my exams not of been now I would more than likely had of gone.
    Yeah, me too, especially after the earthquake in China... I even asked my parents, but you can guess what they said :nothing:

But isn't there something we can do to help them from here (apart from donating) ? I.e. join the Red Cross and help them pack the resources that are being sent there etc. :dontknow: :o:

ReputationRep:
    The world can do what it wants. Haiti was pretty **** but that's the card they were dealt; born in an underdeveloped country prone to such natural disasters.

All i'm concerned with is personal development, getting a decent wage, and enjoying my life.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.