Turn on thread page Beta

Does this look okay? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, have filtered through my previous threads comments ('Just joined the gym. Now what the fudge do?' and come to this timetable:

Aims, lose excess body fat and get big.

MON: HITT (15mins in total, 60 secs jog, followed by 30 secs sprint with 10 repetitions)

TUE: Starting Strength. Squat - 3 x 5/Bench Press - 3 x 5/Deadlift - 1 x 5. Will ask the gym instructor how to do these, of whatever weight I can manage at first!

WED: HITT

FRI: Starting Strength

SUN: Starting Strength

Plus 30 sits up each morning and night at home.

Will take one protein shake every day and basically cut out all the sugary/salty processed foods etc from my diet.

Does this sound alright? I dunno what else to add in, remove? Like, my friends say they're gonna work out the back or whatever one day, then their lower body another day? How does that work? And having just 15 mins at the gym seems a bit pointless, no?

Achhh, so confused...

ReputationRep:
    Do the programme Starting Strength. Just do the ******* programme.

ReputationRep:
    Looks good. Just test it out and see how it goes then make adjustments if necessary.

:gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    Let me know how the HIIT goes, im tempted to give it ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadiechantel)
    Let me know how the HIIT goes, im tempted to give it ago
    Will do!

Starting strength is only 5 reps not 10. Don't edit the program, do it exactly as it tells you.

Trust me starting strength is the right program for you. It's the most efficient way for beginners to get big. You will work out your entire body (most beginners ignore legs) and your lifts will increase significantly after a few weeks.

Your friends are doing a split routine which you can probably do once you've finished with starting strength, but right now there isn't any point.

Once again I will say remember to do it properly. Follow the Rippetoe instructional videos so that you get your form right.

Good luck!

Have a read through this, tells you all you need to know:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

ReputationRep:
    yeah you should have put HIIT not HITT

otherwise seems fine to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_2)
    Starting strength is only 5 reps not 10. Don't edit the program, do it exactly as it tells you.

Trust me starting strength is the right program for you. It's the most efficient way for beginners to get big. You will work out your entire body (most beginners ignore legs) and your lifts will increase significantly after a few weeks.

Your friends are doing a split routine which you can probably do once you've finished with starting strength, but right now there isn't any point.

Once again I will say remember to do it properly. Follow the Rippetoe instructional videos so that you get your form right.

Good luck!

Have a read through this, tells you all you need to know:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki
    Ahhh, 5 reps?

Would it not show quicker results if I were to try and do 10?

And could you also please give me approximate starting weights for the starting strength and how quickly most people progress to higher weights?

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    doin 30 situps every day, morning and night will do nothing.. dont waste your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.Shallot)
    Ahhh, 5 reps?

And could you also please give me approximate starting weights for the starting strength and how quickly most people progress to higher weights?

Thanks a lot!
    No do 5. You can obviously lift heavier weights with 5 than 10 reps.

And as to starting weights, if you actually took 10 minutes to read the goddamned wiki, it would tell you how the first day is supposed to work. Progression is linear, so you can easily calculate how fast you will progress.

And SS days are supposed to be 3 non-consecutive days of the week, with 2 days off each week at the end. Do not modify this. Do it exactly as the wiki says.

Ahhh, 5 reps?

Thanks a lot!
    I've given you the link that tells you all you need to know.

It's only 5 reps because you are working on strength. You will increase in weights quicker with only 5 reps and build more strength.

Please read the info on the link; all of it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey why not do a 100 and really speed up the process, OP you need at least 5 protein shakes a day

ReputationRep:
    15mins in total, 60 secs jog, followed by 30 secs sprint with 10 repetitions
    I'll be very surprised if you manage to do that properly. 30 seconds is actually a very long time to be going at your absolute top speed (which is what sprinting is), especially when you're only just starting fitness training. I suspect it will look more like:

60 secs jog
    30 secs sprint
    60 secs jog
    30 secs sprint
    60 secs jog
    20 secs sprint, 10 secs slightly slower
    60 secs jog
    15 secs sprint, 15 secs slightly slower
    60 secs jog
    30 secs run fairly fast
    ... etc

ReputationRep:
    looks ok, but as the others have said... its 3 sets of 5 except for deadlift which is 1 x 5 and powercleans which is 5 sets of 3 reps.

Weighted sit ups are the way foward. you wouldn't do 30 reps for bench press so why would you do 30 sit ups for muscle. lay on a bench, hold a barbell or dumbbells above you, then do a sit up. The bar will go from a bench position to an overhead position. Do 3-5 sets of 10 reps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    I'll be very surprised if you manage to do that properly. 30 seconds is actually a very long time to be going at your absolute top speed (which is what sprinting is), especially when you're only just starting fitness training. I suspect it will look more like:

60 secs jog
    30 secs sprint
    60 secs jog
    30 secs sprint
    60 secs jog
    20 secs sprint, 10 secs slightly slower
    60 secs jog
    15 secs sprint, 15 secs slightly slower
    60 secs jog
    30 secs run fairly fast
    ... etc
    It's supposed to be 30 secs of absolute top speed that you are able to manage at that point i.e. not jogging because you can't be arsed anymore. So he very well may be able to manage that with some willpower and decent fitness.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I've edited it to this now. Have read that link and my god is it confusing!!

MON: HIIT

TUE: STARTING STRENGTH

- squat - 3 x 5
    - bench press - 3 x 5
    - deadlift - 1 x 5

WED: HIIT

FRI: Starting Strength

SUN: Starting Strenth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_2)
    I've given you the link that tells you all you need to know.

It's only 5 reps because you are working on strength. You will increase in weights quicker with only 5 reps and build more strength.

Please read the info on the link; all of it.
    Thanks a lot for all your help mate, I've just had a look at protein shakes and http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powd...otein-powders/ seems okay, but I have no idea which one to choose?!

Thanks a lot for all your help mate, I've just had a look at protein shakes and http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powd...otein-powders/ seems okay, but I have no idea which one to choose?!
    Go for this one. Can't go wrong with it:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supp...(unflavoured)/

Get 10 lb. It's the cheapest and will last you ages.

It doesn't taste that nice though but it's okay if you add nesquick. I'm not that bothered about the taste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    Do the programme Starting Strength. Just do the ******* programme.
    Listen to this person.

ReputationRep:
    just do the 3 days SS, dont worry about the other stuff atm.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.