Clever siblings scoop A* GCSE maths aged just eight and nine watch

ReputationRep:
    maths was hard for me even to get a C

good on them!
    that's wicked.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it always maths? ¬.¬

ReputationRep:
    Well, as someone who took it more than once and never got better than a C, I'm very impressed! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    It's a (bad) the worst song ever made.
    :rolleyes: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    Why is it always maths? ¬.¬
    Because anyone can get a maths book, get past papers questions and with enough practice, understand the context of the questions as it's all repeated over and over again just using different numbers.

Requires no knowledge about any other subject topics?

That's why I think anyway

Why don't they just let the poor things live their lives? Why couldn't they just do it when every other normal person does,and then get an A*...
    Instead they will be pushed by I imagine parents compensating for their own failures,having to live up to the relentless perfection needlessly pushed upon them,and turn into complete socially inept loners.
    Bagpackers at Aldi within ten years....

ReputationRep:
    look at her eyebrows :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    Why don't they just let the poor things live their lives? Why couldn't they just do it when every other normal person does,and then get an A*...
    Instead they will be pushed by I imagine parents compensating for their own failures,having to live up to the relentless perfection needlessly pushed upon them,and turn into complete socially inept loners.
    nah I've seen it, double suicide pact, 8 years time they fail to get a 1st in the masters degree they take, literally by 1%. Parents disowned them, together off a bridge with bricks tied to the feet, or overdose, I forget which one.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I worked really hard to get my C in maths I think it's one of those things that depends on your natural ability- either you understand it, or you don't. Good on them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krakatoa)
    Did you bother to read the article? They weren't pushed at all, they had no tutors, they literally read the textbook for their own enjoyment. They even said there's no rush for them to take A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Presidential)
    LMAO i guessed that too lol, it was the 1st thing that came to mind.
    Me too !

ReputationRep:
    Ah Asians and Math but seriously as a previous poster said its not that hard at all :/

ReputationRep:
    yeah and maybe they can do alevels/go to uni/kill themselves at young age too which seems to be the trend with most young 'prodigies'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I worked really hard to get my C in maths I think it's one of those things that depends on your natural ability- either you understand it, or you don't. Good on them
    Maths is just logic. There is no natural ability about it, more like you can't think logically, then not having talent. Hmm, to be fair most of the material in GCSE is easy, it probably only takes a few lines of reasoning i.e. about two for most questions.

P.S. Also, thats a tautology as by definition that is true i.e. P or not P, so you aren't saying anything. Hmm, I doubt you would understand that.

ReputationRep:
    Maths at GCSE doesn't require any understanding, it's simply regurgitation and learning by repetition. Anybody could get a high grade by simply reading an exam guide, using it to go through a couple of questions, then rinsing and repeating with a few exam past papers. Once you know the methods you simply reapply them repeatedly like a parrot.

Same goes for most GCSE's really.

ReputationRep:
    that girl might have an A* maths GCSE at age 8 but at least i dont have her eyebrows :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Maths at GCSE doesn't require any understanding, it's simply regurgitation and learning by repetition. Anybody could get a high grade by simply reading an exam guide, using it to go through a couple of questions, then rinsing and repeating with a few exam past papers. Once you know the methods you simply reapply them repeatedly like a parrot.

Same goes for most GCSE's really.
    Well not most but quite a few. eg not English chemistry art drama and so on

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, those are some ugly children.

ReputationRep:
    Fair play. I got a B, but to be honest maths is of no interest to me!

ReputationRep:
    This is hilarious it says in the article:

"And the self-taught whizkids both got marks of more than 90% in the tough papers - usually taken by 16-year-olds."

When the GCSE results come out in the summer they will be complaining how easy they are...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.