Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did about 4 hours a day of revision on average in the month leading up to my exams. Also a bit of reading before my interview. Otherwise things were pretty relaxed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shebelongs)
    cringeworthy
    Both eloquent and witty. Oh wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Both eloquent and witty
    (and with the impressive ability to refer with equal accuracy to your response)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shebelongs)
    (and with the impressive ability to refer with equal accuracy to your response)
    I'm the cringeworthy one, not the one trying to project a sense of superiority, so I'm not particularly fussed about my wit or eloquence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mf2004)
    I did not know what work was until MT09 hit, it hit hard XD.
    :ditto:

I thought I worked 'hard' when I'd sit down and do an evening's revision for my A2 exams.

Here I am, HT '10 and every second procrastination is another second you can't spend sleeping.

ReputationRep:
    In year 12 I tended to do loads for about a month before the exam periods, around eight to ten hours a day of revision in the holidays/at weekends and as much as possible on school days. A2 (especially after January) I did barely anything. I didn't do any homework and stopped going to most lessons.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't ever do the honework! :p: I only started doing wider reading in the summer holidays of Year 12 really, as that was about the time when I became really interested in the academic aspect of my subject. I did have an organised revision plan for exams though which I started a few months before each exam, but it wasn't too strenuous by any means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    I'm the cringeworthy one, not the one trying to project a sense of superiority, so I'm not particularly fussed about my wit or eloquence.
    i actually laughed. are you sure that's the best thing to bring up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Not really. I keep it as an excuse to be rude to someone if I don't like them and then they try to be snobby at me. I think it's educational for people who like university snobbery.
    exellent. love it when people do this :yep:

ReputationRep:
    i went to classes and did most of the homework (i only got regular work set in history and maths though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    exellent. love it when people do this :yep:
    I would point out that in my case it is completely true that I am a Brookes student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    I would point out that in my case it is completely true that I am a Brookes student.
    its still funny that the oxford students get really offended if you post in their thread.

ReputationRep:
    its still funny that the oxford students get really offended if you post in their thread.
    The distinction is actually that us Oxford students already know. It's everyone else that notices and mentions it.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, he posts in our threads all the time, we know that he did his Oxford undergrad. It's only non-Oxford people who are like "why are you posting in here, fool?!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    Cambridge applicant, but it's fairly similar.

I don't work particularly hard in term, and then revise equally poorly (I have two exams tomorrow and am still trying to finish reading the textbook for the first time :sigh:). A-levels don't take a huge amount of time it you organize yourself well. My work ethic will change dramatically next year though.

I did do extra reading for my PS/interview, as this actually interested me.
    So how well did the biology go for you CJ? There was nothing about seals in the textbook.

ReputationRep:
    I think one of the things about AS/A2 subjects, is understanding - and if you understand something, you will often need not do alot of work during the terms, or alot of revision for the exams. I think that is what is important, not how much work you put in but whether you understand something. After all, oxbridge tutors will be looking for you to grasp the subject not be able to recite the A2 syllabus.

And that is why alot of people in here, have said they didnt need to do alot of work - if you listen in lessons, and understand the subjects, then you should be able to get A's.. and more chance of getting into oxbridge than if you listen in lessons, but don't understand the work, have a tutor for the subject and have to revise 6 hours a day for 2 weeks up to an exam to get an A.

If you are able to acquire your A/A*s needed, the most work you should put in is reading around the subject and showing a genuine interest ready for interview.

That is my view at least, I put a fair bit of work in during term times, I wouldnt say I get every piece of work in, or do very well in the pieces of work, but i don't completely slack off and I listen well in lessons. When it comes to revision, it generally follows a read textbook>write notes>flick through a couple past papers, for a few days before an exam. (I hold an oxford offer, and am predicted 2A*s and an A (though I won't get the A*s, its just what I was predicted - my offer is 3A's)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the messages so far everyone, it's really changed my perspective and I find it all very interesting. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I am one of the people who pay 100% attention in class and understand most the work - except for physics in some cases but I think that's down to our incompetent teacher who is often corrected by us! :p: I place it down to the Scottish educational system... Joking - before I'm bombarded by the Scottish! :bricks:

Although my work ethic slacks sometimes - especially during the exam periods or the time leading up to it - I generally achieve high regardless because I have an understanding of the work in class. Flicking through past notes tends to strike the fire from the cooling coals in your memory when revising and is sufficient for most subjects! I plan on stepping my game up a little now I've done the tests on the first modules of Maths, CT and Biology anyway so hopefully my work ethic will improve...

I think that perhaps the most striking thing that I have realised this year is to what degree learning how the exam paper for a particular subject works, because each paper requires different approaches to questions. For example I was achieving low on my Biology papers in the first term which was worrying me. Eventually I went through a past paper and mark scheme and knew exactly what the examiners were looking for in the answers to questions and BAM! Straight up to the high A's

Anyway, keep this stories/opinions coming in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    So how well did the biology go for you CJ? There was nothing about seals in the textbook.
    Seemed to be the standard biology jokefest.

The seals question was about buffers (it was in the textbook, in a spread question). Ironically enough it was what I was reading when I posted that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    every second procrastination is another second you can't spend sleeping.
    Too true, sadly. So why am I on the internet at 11:30 rather than finishing my problem sheet?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.