Turn on thread page Beta

Need help with this dress watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I recently bought this dress and need help with it.

The neck is really low and the dress is fitting so it gives a cleavage.

What I want to do is try cover that up. I know I could wear a cardigan but not sure if it would flatter the dress but anything to basically cover the top half. I can't wear a long sleeves top underneath as the dress is too tight to let anything underneath it like that (esp. the sleeves). I know this is a wierd request but I'm sure I'll get some helpful replies here.

ReputationRep:
    Just wear a black or white very fitted vest top underneath e.g. http://www.newlook.co.uk/1795463/179...ctDetails.aspx

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with cleavage? :awesome:

But yeah, either necklace or scarf. Can't think of much else if you can't wear anything underneath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    What's wrong with cleavage? :awesome:

But yeah, either necklace or scarf. Can't think of much else if you can't wear anything underneath.
    Nothing wrong. Just in some places a bit innapropriate but maybe I just think that. I didn't think of a scarf, thanks! But then I'll have to take it off indoors...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little.miss.vicki)
    Just wear a black or white very fitted vest top underneath e.g. http://www.newlook.co.uk/1795463/179...ctDetails.aspx
    Thanks for the link!

ReputationRep:
    defo wear a strappy top underneath... otherwise the dress would look really ****gish.
    unless you are flatchested, in which case you could get away with it (if you wear a nice necklace).

and maybe wear some coloured tights with it, brighten it up? not like neon pink or anything, nice plum/burgandy tights and jewellery.

ReputationRep:
    Sow a triangle of material in the bit where 'cleavage' would be (Y)

ReputationRep:
    yeah just wear a vest top.. or a scarf [it is winter after all..]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popple7)
    defo wear a strappy top underneath... otherwise the dress would look really ****gish.
    unless you are flatchested, in which case you could get away with it (if you wear a nice necklace).

and maybe wear some coloured tights with it, brighten it up? not like neon pink or anything, nice plum/burgandy tights and jewellery.
    Yea it does look a bit too much which is why I asked, this dress more than others. Just need to find a strappy top which isn't too low either. I haven't worn tights in ages as I used to find them so uncomfortable but which shops have the best quality tights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinball_heart)
    Sow a triangle of material in the bit where 'cleavage' would be (Y)
    Could try that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle.xo)
    Will do, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    a little camisole

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Handbag)
    Yea it does look a bit too much which is why I asked, this dress more than others. Just need to fins a strappy top which isn't too low either. I haven't worn tights in ages as I used to find them so uncomfortable but which shops have the best quality tights?

its a classy dress, so boobs should not hang out of it! lol. take the dress with you when you're out shopping, try it with tops underneath... brown, plum, burgandy.. nice autumny colours would look nice with it, brighten it up a bit rather than going for typical black, white or grey vest underneath.
    i recommend h&m, primark and new look for vest tops. primark is uber cheap (you can get em for £1!).

as for tights, ive always liked tights from accessorize and topshop (80 denier is best, not too thick/not too thin). and then wear a nice necklace (e.g. http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/68270277) and other bits of jewellery... not too much though, cuz the dress is a nice pattern itself and if you wear bright tights, you just want the accessories to compliment the tights... not look like an xmas tree or anything lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karlalarla)
    a little camisole
    Any links to suggest ones that would match?

ReputationRep:
    its a classy dress, so boobs should not hang out of it! lol. take the dress with you when you're out shopping, try it with tops underneath... brown, plum, burgandy.. nice autumny colours would look nice with it, brighten it up a bit rather than going for typical black, white or grey vest underneath.
    i recommend h&m, primark and new look for vest tops. primark is uber cheap (you can get em for £1!).

as for tights, ive always liked tights from accessorize and topshop (80 denier is best, not too thick/not too thin). and then wear a nice necklace (e.g. http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/68270277) and other bits of jewellery... not too much though, cuz the dress is a nice pattern itself and if you wear bright tights, you just want the accessories to compliment the tights... not look like an xmas tree or anything lol.
    Thank you for your suggestions! Yes I am a bit boring in that I'll stick to the dull colours here but I will try to go with plum and other colours. Love the necklace you linked to.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your suggestions! Yes I am a bit boring in that I'll stick to the dull colours here but I will try to go with plum and other colours. Love the necklace you linked to.
    id wear either bright tights OR a bright vest underneath... dont wear matching vest/tights... otherwise you'd look like a grape lol. so either wear purple vest+black tights... or black vest+ purple tights. and then accessorize it up! accessories are the best way to liven up an outfit, especially if you are afraid of colour (i am too!).. plus you can then mix and match your jewllery with all your clothes, make em look polished and well put together.

ReputationRep:
    id wear either bright tights OR a bright vest underneath... dont wear matching vest/tights... otherwise you'd look like a grape lol. so either wear purple vest+black tights... or black vest+ purple tights. and then accessorize it up! accessories are the best way to liven up an outfit, especially if you are afraid of colour (i am too!).. plus you can then mix and match your jewllery with all your clothes, make em look polished and well put together.
    LOL, sure will do that. Thank you all.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, sure will do that. Thank you all.

if your near a H&M they do vest tops for like £5 and theyre really good, you can wear them over leggings cos they're quite long, or under things, and theyre light fabric with adjustable skinny straps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennn*)
    if your near a H&M they do vest tops for like £5 and theyre really good, you can wear them over leggings cos they're quite long, or under things, and theyre light fabric with adjustable skinny straps
    Thank you! yea I've got loads near me. Need to stay away from shopping lol.

ReputationRep:
    I bought purple tights today.

(Original post by truthandtragedy)
    (Original post by Elle.xo)
    (Original post by karlalarla)
    a little camisole
    Could I have a link to scarves / camisoles please?

Thanks everyone.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.