Turn on thread page Beta

Don't know what to do with my life watch

Announcements

Feeling really low at the moment...

To give a brief summary...before uni I was fairly popular, did well at school, enjoyed life, wanted to be the best and had a great work ethic. Went to a good uni, got a decent (2:2) degree, had fun, met some nice people...

since the day I stepped out of uni in June 2008, my life has been woeful.

I appreciate that some part hasn't been my 'fault'...trust me to leave uni just as the worst recession in decades hit!

but in general its been a shocker. I was so desperate to get a graduate job, that after months of trying, I accepted an unsuitable job, moved house to a new city...and hated it and left after 6 weeks. I spent the next 6months unemployed. Before getting a job again (which I find ok) which I've held for the last 7months...

meanwhile I've rarely seen my friends from uni (due to living in different parts of the country) and I've grown apart from my home friends, and lost them too.

so basically I'm back living with my parents, doing a job that I could have been doing 3-5 years ago (you don't need a degree) but with less friends and social life than before.

I just don't think I can face decades (or however long i'll live for) of this monotonous, boring life. I just don't see the point of this get up, work, go to bed, get up, work...life.

And my other big issue is that I seem to have a missed a jump in the 'friendship cycle' I'm aware that people drift apart and move on...but my issue is that all my friends have moved on, or moved away...but there have been no 'reinforcements' for me to make friends with. I just don't meet many new people my age in my typical week. whereas at high school, 6th form and uni there were hundreds of new people to meet every 5/2and 3 years respectively.

anyone else think I'm just feeling like this due to the general sapping effect of this recession? and the lack of jobs for young people? anyone else feeling the same dread at the prospect of another 50 or so years boredom before retirement?

ReputationRep:
    a 2:2 isn't a decent degree

(Original post by a_t)
    a 2:2 isn't a decent degree
    thanks for that uplifting input! I aware I didn't put enough effort in, and was disappointed not to get a 2:1...but I'm over that now, and getting a 2:1 or a First would have made no difference to how my last 18months has been, or how I feel now.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you just need some friends and a social life. Try some voluntary work to give your life some 'meaning' - you may make some friends there too. What were your dreams when you were in uni? Can you still achieve them? Think about what you want from life and work at making it happen :]

(Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Sounds like you just need some friends and a social life. Try some voluntary work to give your life some 'meaning' - you may make some friends there too. What were your dreams when you were in uni? Can you still achieve them? Think about what you want from life and work at making it happen :]
    working for charity is a decent suggestion, thanks

its just like I say, in previous years it didn't matter if you drifted from your school freinds, because then 6form arrived and there was hundreds more people to meet..it didn't matter if after 2years you got bored of them, because uni arrived...

in 'real life' IE all work and no play I'm struggling to adapt to the fact most of the people i work with (nice though they are) are all 30+ so aren't likely to be going clubbing with me anytime soon. Apart from work, there's very few places to go alone and meet people.

ReputationRep:
    move abroad for a while! nice bit of sun, parties, and foreign mates!.......DO IT!.......i'm fuking off to Beirut for a while and can't wait!.......good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Quit your job, go on the dole and take cheap buses to visit all your friends. Then find another **** job, work for a while, quit, go on dole... repeat until you find a job you actually like.

ReputationRep:
    set yourself a target to do something new/go somewhere new every weekend. iv been doing this for the last year or so and sometimes its hard to motivate yourself but 100% worth it.

try:
    http://www.meetup.com/

take up a hobby...rock climbing is very social

ReputationRep:
    Tbh posts like the OP's absolutely scare the **** out of me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Feeling really low at the moment...

To give a brief summary...before uni I was fairly popular, did well at school, enjoyed life, wanted to be the best and had a great work ethic. Went to a good uni, got a decent (2:2) degree, had fun, met some nice people...

since the day I stepped out of uni in June 2008, my life has been woeful.

I appreciate that some part hasn't been my 'fault'...trust me to leave uni just as the worst recession in decades hit!

but in general its been a shocker. I was so desperate to get a graduate job, that after months of trying, I accepted an unsuitable job, moved house to a new city...and hated it and left after 6 weeks. I spent the next 6months unemployed. Before getting a job again (which I find ok) which I've held for the last 7months...

meanwhile I've rarely seen my friends from uni (due to living in different parts of the country) and I've grown apart from my home friends, and lost them too.

so basically I'm back living with my parents, doing a job that I could have been doing 3-5 years ago (you don't need a degree) but with less friends and social life than before.

I just don't think I can face decades (or however long i'll live for) of this monotonous, boring life. I just don't see the point of this get up, work, go to bed, get up, work...life.

And my other big issue is that I seem to have a missed a jump in the 'friendship cycle' I'm aware that people drift apart and move on...but my issue is that all my friends have moved on, or moved away...but there have been no 'reinforcements' for me to make friends with. I just don't meet many new people my age in my typical week. whereas at high school, 6th form and uni there were hundreds of new people to meet every 5/2and 3 years respectively.

anyone else think I'm just feeling like this due to the general sapping effect of this recession? and the lack of jobs for young people? anyone else feeling the same dread at the prospect of another 50 or so years boredom before retirement?
    3 suggestions:

ARMY

NAVY

R.A.F.

Serve your Queen.

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared this will happen to me too! Luckily for me I live in the city where i'm sure most people from my uni will stay and all my friends before uni will stay and work in so I will have social circles. I find my degree to hard and will probably get a 2:2 even if I try and try. Pfft. You simply need a social life, lack of friends makes you question everything. Maybe try to visit some old pals.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.