Turn on thread page Beta

Can you really just be close friends with the opposite sex? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia)
    No. He's older and has been described by a good many as good looking.

And before you ask, no I'm not bad looking either.
    But I bet you value yourself as better looking/a better catch than him.

It's weird but thats what I think happens with male female relationships (sometimes there just isn't attraction both ways though and other times it's both ways but hidden quite well.

ReputationRep:
    Every guy I'm friends with (apart from some of the ones with girlfriends..although that hasn't stopped some of them!) has tried to come onto me at one point when drunk. It's SO irritating, I would love to just have a really close guy friend who doesn't eventually confess he has feelings for me

ReputationRep:
    I certainly can and I, at least in my head, have many platonic relationships. But I'm sure one will most likely have feelings/some sort of attraction for the other, or at least in some cases. which is annoying.

i really like purely platonic close relationships though, but it seems many people find it hard to believe that we're just ''close friends'', say. i guess many people don't understand the concept of said platonic relationships, or maybe i'm being naive but i like to think they exist.

ReputationRep:
    I needn't be passionately in love to sleep with someone, and have slept with friends with no hard feelings next day. Most of us aren't looking for a 'other half'.

That said, I've a handful of friends I've known for years that I would hang out with any day, and would get it if the same situation happened to my gf.

Where I draw the line is if the other person is shunned. That's one step too far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babythestarsshinebright)
    Every guy I'm friends with (apart from some of the ones with girlfriends..although that hasn't stopped some of them!) has tried to come onto me at one point when drunk. It's SO irritating, I would love to just have a really close guy friend who doesn't eventually confess he has feelings for me
    you're not exactly hot or humble though :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    I hear being humble is the number 1 characteristic guys look for in drunk hookups..

ReputationRep:
    I have feelings a good male friend of mine. I was shocked when I realised. It's unfortunate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ken321)
    I'd like to see a guy answer this.
    Why? Because "guys" are evil sexually obsessive maniacs intent on having intercourse with every female they see? Silly ignorant stereotypes.

Of course you can. I have several close friends of both gender without any sexually orientated feelings towards them.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can be. Depends on the other person though really. :rolleyes:

I literally haven't got a single female friend. My best friend is male, my close friends at college are male, and my old friends are male. One of them has a thing for me and has done for years, but knows I don't reciprocate so it's not awkward. Another's an ex, so I suppose we did have feelings for each other, but definitely don't now. :p:

Basically, I'd be pretty screwed (or easy!) if it wasn't possible.

ReputationRep:
    One of my best friends is male and I had a bit of a crush on him when we first met because he can be considered quite a catch but now that we know each other better, I don't because he's not my kind of guy personality wise. Also, his girl friend is one of my best friends.
    And I'd never sleep in the same bed as him/any other friend because that'd just be wierd. I really don't understand people who do that. But then I'm not into touching/being touched that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babythestarsshinebright)
    I hear being humble is the number 1 characteristic guys look for in drunk hookups..
    I hear drunk hookups are the number 1 way mates get off with other female mates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    i agree with the apparent lack of humility. she's not too shabby...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    i agree with the apparent lack of humility. she's not too shabby...
    Hmm, really REALLY not my type! Though attitude like hers is at least a -30% attractiveness debuff.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is possible. My best friend is male and we're not in love with each other or anything, though someone actually said that we're acting like a couple xD
    Anyway, I don't really have female friends (don't know why xD). And although I have plenty of male friends, none of them have romantic feelings towards me. But maybe there's just something wrong with me :lol:

ReputationRep:
    One of my closest friends his male, and I have no feelings for him in any other way than friendship at all. I do hug him, like I hug all my friends regardless of gender. I like to hang out with him, and we do things just us, but then when you're stuck in another country, it's hard and it's always good to have someone regardless of gender to do things. My boyfriend knows I have male friends, but he also knows I love him to bits and so he has no reason to be jealous.

ReputationRep:
    No I think its a load of rubbish. Every male friend I have has either got a crush on me or used to have a crush on me. And every female friend my boyfriend has, he has either slept with or fancied at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    No I think its a load of rubbish. Every male friend I have has either got a crush on me or used to have a crush on me. And every female friend my boyfriend has, he has either slept with or fancied at some point.
    modest

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no. I think the people saying you can only be friends with ugly girls or unattractive men are being a bit short-sighted, well, unless they're chronically shallow. Provided the friend has at least some redeeming features, which they must since you get on well, there is a good chance that you could grow to be attracted to them.

I think if you're very close there's always a good chance that you could end up sleeping together and I've noticed that the strongest mixed couple friendships don't deny the possibility of this and always have some sort of "platonic flirting" if that makes any sense, going on. Rather than the 'secretly one of them being in love' type friendships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrookedLegs)
    modest
    There was nothing arrogant about my post at all. It implied that men and women could never be "just friends".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Hmm, really REALLY not my type! Though attitude like hers is at least a -30% attractiveness debuff.
    fair enough but it's thanks to the guys who keep bending over backwards for her and throwing her in a pool of compliments that she possesses such an attitude.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.