Turn on thread page Beta

Can you really just be close friends with the opposite sex? watch

ReputationRep:
    I always find my relationships with guys often go to sexual attraction or brotherly affection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    No :/ You think she's hot heh?
    I wouldn't say no.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smanth)
    And I'd never sleep in the same bed as him/any other friend because that'd just be wierd. I really don't understand people who do that. But then I'm not into touching/being touched that much.
    I've happily slept in the same bed as 2 of my males friends, if there are no feelings then why should it matter?

Also if there's only bed what's the alternative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    fair enough but it's thanks to the guys who keep bending over backwards for her and throwing her in a pool of compliments that she possesses such an attitude.
    Oh I'm sorry have we met? Do you know what kind of attitude I possess? Just becuase I'm stating the facts doesn't mean I'm up myself, I don't think every guy I've been friends with has come onto me becuase I'm ridiculously hot or anything, it's probably because they're drunk and horny.

Plus, if anything, it's the modeling contract that would make me so 'arrogant' not some pathetic guys...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babythestarsshinebright)
    Oh I'm sorry have we met? Do you know what kind of attitude I possess? Just becuase I'm stating the facts doesn't mean I'm up myself, I don't think every guy I've been friends with has come onto me becuase I'm ridiculously hot or anything, it's probably because they're drunk and horny.

Plus, if anything, it's the modeling contract that would make me so 'arrogant' not some pathetic guys...
    Are you actually trolling or serious lol?

Firstly, your attitude is quite obvious. Little insecure girl up herself and trying to raise her self esteem through a superior and arrogant demeanor \o/

Secondly, when drunk and horny (and yes i'm a guy with many guy friends) us guys don't come on to our female friends [even the ones much hotter than you], we get protected by them as we hit on randoms, and we protect them as randoms hit on them. Thats how it works.

Thirdly, liking you makes them pathetic? Wait, yes indeed it does...

ps. lol modelling contract

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Are you actually trolling or serious lol?

Firstly, your attitude is quite obvious. Little insecure girl up herself and trying to raise her self esteem through a superior and arrogant demeanor \o/

Secondly, when drunk and horny (and yes i'm a guy with many guy friends) us guys don't come on to our female friends [even the ones much hotter than you], we get protected by them as we hit on randoms, and we protect them as randoms hit on them. Thats how it works.

Thirdly, liking you makes them pathetic? Wait, yes indeed it does...

ps. lol modelling contract
    Haha nah I'm serious dude! How can I be both insecure and up myself? Make your mind up!
    Your friendship group of guys and girls sounds pretty nice, I wish it could be like that in mine but there's way too much debauchery it seems.

I don't get why a girl being arrogant (not that I am) makes you so angry, guys act arrogant all the time and it doesn't bother people.

ps www.girlmanagement.com

ReputationRep:
    Yeh. I thought it could never happen. I wouldn't say close friends but yeh you can be. Sometimes when drunk sexual thoughts come tho, which can be annoying. Dam beer goggles suck.

Basically if you don't fancy them and they don't fancy you then it can be a mutual friendship.

ReputationRep:
    Defo
    Nothing else, they're just there for us to make us laugh and playfight with!
    Though i could never imagine myself cuddling in bed with them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Men are intelligent creatures. We know when a female is too full of herself. And that, to me, is incredibly unattractive.

And sure that happens; its happened to/from me. And sure we'd let most suck us off if it came round to it; that doesn't mean we're madly in love.
    She only said that male friends in the past had liked her. Male friends have liked me too and clearly female friends have liked you too.
    Whats the big deal?

And love doesnt have to come into it. If people are willing to screw their friends of the opposite sex (if the chance presented itself) that normally makes the whole "platonic" thing kinda redundant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    She only said that male friends in the past had liked her. Male friends have liked me too and clearly female friends have liked you too.
    Whats the big deal?

And love doesnt have to come into it. If people are willing to screw their friends of the opposite sex (if the chance presented itself) that normally makes the whole "platonic" thing kinda redundant.
    Thank god someone else is seeing some sense! I bet those guys are just secretly bummed because they came onto a friend and she turned them down...

ReputationRep:
    It's the natural progression of things for feelings to develop, as it should be. A good relationship should be two people who care strongly for each other, have strong rapport, among other things. If two people have a strong background of being friends then moving on to a relationship is logical. At some point one or the other is likely to be overwhelmed by how much they feel for the other. It's not a bad thing per se. It's only bad when the the feeling is not reciprocated.

I don't see why you shouldnt be friends first.

ReputationRep:
    i shut myself off to them after a certain point. it has always, without exception, ended up in the guy telling me how they feel. and they've always been such valued friends, if it gets to that point how can the friendship EVER be the same again?? it's horrible though. it's a totally different kind of friendship you get with female friends, which i think is necessary.

just read that back and i'm not saying they felt that way because of me, but just in general that's how close opposite sex friendships turn out.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless to what others think, yes you can definitely just be reallyy close friends with the opposite sex!

OP have you considered the fact that he might like you too?

This is the situation im in

ReputationRep:
    I have lots of male friends, and i have a couple of really close male friends who i see as brothers, neither of us feel anything for eachother it wud just be wierd
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by babythestarsshinebright)

I was totally with you until the last sentence. Now you do seem arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you become close very quickly and have a connection it is hard for romantic feelings not to spring up at leat a little bit I guess it depends what you do about them, I guess once one or both is over the other then you get a platonic friendship.

Alternatively you get guys and girls who just never find each other attractive in that way, I have plenty of guy friends who I feel nothing for and never have done but incidentally those are friendships which grew more gradually :yep:

ReputationRep:
    i think it's perfectly possible, as long as there's no attraction involved - which is where it becomes difficult, because people do tend to naturally befriend people they find attractive even if they're not aware of it.

personally, i think it's fine to be just as close to the opposite sex as the same sex, and i have no issues with hugging etc. as long as there's no further feelings involved. i don't think i'd go as far as 'cuddling' though - simply because i wouldn't do that with female friends either. i think with the opposite sex (if you're straight) it's easier for it to develop into more because boundaries become blurred, but that doesn't have to happen. if you start to have weird thoughts/feelings then just cool the friendship down a bit, or perhaps have a chat about it if you feel comfortable enough. if you're good enough friends then you should be able to deal with that sort of situation maturely anyway.

ReputationRep:
    you have to be gay or blind! :rofl:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.