Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chance to make friends in second term?? Watch

    • #1
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    I just wanted your opinions on if people are willing to make new friends in their second term?? I see most people and many of my friends currently are in their own little clicks and fear this will hinder my chances of making new buddies.

    My situation is that I have made a number of friends but they are not the type of people I would actually call 'friends', they are more like moderately close acquaintances.

    It's because I am able to naturally meet lots of people and make good first impressions, but find it incredibly difficult to uphold these relationships and make them develop; leaving me acquainted with all the dull ones whom I find difficult to socialise with.

    Now I am aware if this and feel I am able to consciously develop friendships but am put off by the thought of no one wanting to meet new people.

    What are your thoughts on this??

    And please no generic 'go to where there's lots of people' bull because that's just stupid; I am in university surrounded by people, the problem is developing relationships with them.

    Thank you!
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    I didn't meet 2 of my best friends from uni (including one I later lived with in my 3rd year) until the 2nd term.

    both were friends of friends. So it does happen.

    as for maintaining relationships...not sure what advice I can give, I find it usually just 'clicks' with the right people. But then again one of my worst traits is that I'm very judgmental, so maybe I just instantly dislike 99% of people I meet, leaving me friends with the 1% I like that are left!
    • #2
    #2

    I am in the same situation than you, i can't find any friends. People see me as a posh, arrogant Aristocrat. I don't know what their problem is, but they probably just hate me because i'm blonde with blue eyes and not indian with a leather jacket and a baseball bat to hit people with. Or maybe its just because i am a catholic.
    • #1
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    (Original post by Rooftopcowboy)
    I didn't meet 2 of my best friends from uni (including one I later lived with in my 3rd year) until the 2nd term.

    both were friends of friends. So it does happen.

    as for maintaining relationships...not sure what advice I can give, I find it usually just 'clicks' with the right people. But then again one of my worst traits is that I'm very judgmental, so maybe I just instantly dislike 99% of people I meet, leaving me friends with the 1% I like that are left!
    I am very prejudice too but I make good first impressions and get along well for a short period, just can't sustain it.

    But thanks. You've given me some hope! :awesome:

    Appreciated
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    I am also very curious about this.. I haven't got a single friend on my course, and only 2 good friends from uni. It's really starting to get me down
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    get involved with a casual sports club with a good social side
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    If the first thing you tell people is that you're Catholic then it might be an issue, not because everyone hates Catholicism but just because being openly religious (particularly Christian) seems to be frowned upon... CU reps generally don't do a good job of being the most normal people...

    BUT! Back to the original point, almost everyone I know didn't meet their good friends until second term. Obviously there are people you do actually like from last term, but you'll probably find that a lot of the cliques disband (or at least mix up a bit).

    I hate cliques though. My god.
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reply
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.