Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Question asks it all.

ReputationRep:
    Last year from our school it was 34 out of 152. So it's pretty high. Around 26 got in. Mind you, I went to a grammar school but I doubt that means much these days.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's about 2 applicants per place and there's about 7k places, so around 14k applicants.

ReputationRep:
    I think this year there have been ~21 000 applications to study medicine...well that's according to some data Keele sent me with my offer letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    I think there's about 2 applicants per place and there's about 7k places, so around 14k applicants.
    I thought it was waaaaaay more than that. Like 7 or 8 per place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    I thought it was waaaaaay more than that. Like 7 or 8 per place?
    Yea at each university there's about that many people per place. Everyone has 4 choices so the amount of people applying per place overall is the average of people per place universities get divided by four.

If there's about 7 or 8 per place at every uni, then there's about 2 people per place overall. The most oversubscribed unis have a 15:1 applicantlace ratio and the least 6:1 or something like that.

It's probably a bit higher now - if that data from Keele is correct than it's at around 2.8 now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it's around 24,000 applicants this year, an increase of around 17% from last year apparently.
    I'm not sure how many of them are school leavers, although I'm not exactly sure what you want to know op!
    There are 2 from ~150 applying from our school this year, a 100% increase from last year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    lol. from my year at school i'd estimate approx. nil out of around 200. BOOM!
    yep same here. no one in my year at school applied to medicine and there were 1000 people in my year group.
    so zaf1991 - it make a big differance.

ReputationRep:
    There is a notch above 21k applicants. I've got the statistics from a post I made ages ago when the numbers first surfaced.

21,389 Base applicants.
    - non-eu, since we don't compete against these
    - Foundation courses
    ~18,700
    - GEP (Assuming you're a student)
    ~18,000

~7500 offers made.

~41% chance.

The original base statistic and non-eu statistics were taken from UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Lol no it isn't. Fail math is fail. There is a notch above 21k APPLICANTS. There are around 85k applications.
    21k applicants, about 7k places, that sounds similar enough to 2.8:1 to me? Are you sure it isn't you with the maths fail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Lol no it isn't. Fail math is fail. There is a notch above 21k APPLICANTS. There are around 85k applications.
    :lolwut:

2010 entry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8338245.stm

''There have been 27,429 applicants for medicine courses, up 13.7%.'' (inclide school leavers, mature students, graduates etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuytrew)
    :lolwut:

2010 entry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8338245.stm

''There have been 27,429 applicants for medicine courses, up 13.7%.'' (inclide school leavers, mature students, graduates etc)
    Applications. Not applicants. Each applicant gets 4xapplications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    21k applicants, about 7k places, that sounds similar enough to 2.8:1 to me? Are you sure it isn't you with the maths fail?
    Yeah it is, my bad. That was an epic facepalm on my behalf. Edited my earlier post to hide my epic stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1991)
    Last year from our school it was 34 out of 152. So it's pretty high. Around 26 got in. Mind you, I went to a grammar school but I doubt that means much these days.
    Wow.. I think that makes a pretty big difference.
    I'm at a state school and there 4 applicants for medicine out of about 250 - 300 students :O

ReputationRep:
    Noo who neg repped me?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by zaf1991)
    I went to a grammar school but I doubt that means much these days.
    What does that mean? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    What does that mean? :lolwut:
    I meant that there are loads of people who study in a comprehensive schools who want to and get into medicine too. Doing medicine depends on whether the person wants to do it, not by the school or college they attend. That's all.

ReputationRep:
    Wasnt it something like 23k?

ReputationRep:
    BL is about 7:1

ReputationRep:
    I'm the only person in my year applying for Medicine...about 250 in my year.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.