Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is the average value of school leavers who apply for Medicine each year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    10 in my year out of 150 applying...

6 have offers at the moment.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by zaf1991)
    I meant that there are loads of people who study in a comprehensive schools who want to and get into medicine too. Doing medicine depends on whether the person wants to do it, not by the school or college they attend. That's all.
    Well that's utter ******** (as this thread shows).

ReputationRep:
    its tru.

ReputationRep:
    I meant that there are loads of people who study in a comprehensive schools who want to and get into medicine too. Doing medicine depends on whether the person wants to do it, not by the school or college they attend. That's all.
    what a student does after Alevel is quite dependant on the school they go to.
    grammar schools have small classes and better teachers. the students are expected to be highly qualified when they leave (otherwise the parents would complain that they have paided thousands of pounds and got nothing better than average). so it is fair to say that applying to medicine is more likely in a private school because they are able to achieve higher grades.

yes you are right, a lot of people who go to comp schools get into medicine but it is alot harder for them to achive the good grades needed because of the poor teaching and big classes (which means less teacher attantion). also you find a lot of anti social behaviour from students in state schools compared to private school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Well that's utter ******** (as this thread shows).
    This thread shows that there is a significant amount of people who apply to medicine come from grammar schools. It does not show that if you attend grammar school you more likely to do medicine. Like I said Medicine is down to the person not the school.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This thread shows that there is a significant amount of people who apply to medicine come from grammar schools. It does not show that if you attend grammar school you more likely to do medicine. Like I said Medicine is down to the person not the school.
    huh? lots of people have also posted (comparatively) low statistics from comprehensive schools.

But on the basis of grades alone, obviously what i'm saying is true. If your school gets 20% 5A*-C, the chances of you doing medicine are slim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    what a student does after Alevel is quite dependant on the school they go to.
    grammar schools have small classes and better teachers. the students are expected to be highly qualified when they leave (otherwise the parents would complain that they have paided thousands of pounds and got nothing better than average). so it is fair to say that applying to medicine is more likely in a private school because they are able to achieve higher grades.

yes you are right, a lot of people who go to comp schools get into medicine but it is alot harder for them to achive the good grades needed because of the poor teaching and big classes (which means less teacher attantion). also you find a lot of anti social behaviour from students in state schools compared to private school.
    Personally, I think A-Level study is completely down to the person and all a well qualified teacher does is speed up the process of understanding, which is why I made that comment. It just takes the average person a little longer to grasp a concept. Fair comment made about grades but are grades everything you need to become a doctor? A lot of grammar school kids have their heads stuck up their backsides. As far as anti-social behavior is concerned, we have our share. It is just that there is far less tolerance so suspensions are handed out like merit points. lol. My school was free so it was not perfect. The environment is better, that is undeniable but most of my friends genuinely wanted to do Medicine. There were a few who applied simply because they had good grades but 95% applied because that is all they wanted to do. Some were so adamant they did not even put a 5th choice for back-up. The year before, there were far less Medicine applicants from our school which, is why I said it should be down to the person and not the school. Thanks for your comment btw.

ReputationRep:
    huh? lots of people have also posted (comparatively) low statistics from comprehensive schools.

But on the basis of grades alone, obviously what i'm saying is true. If your school gets 20% 5A*-C, the chances of you doing medicine are slim.
    Yes, you are perfectly right in saying so about the grades but provided you have the grades the person should do Medicine because they want to, not because they have stupidly high grades.

The year before, the number of Medicine applicants was far less from our school because people chose other courses. Medicine is not for everyone. It does not mean they did not have the grades to do it. Do you see the point I am trying to make?

The stats which I showed you are extremely biased.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, you are perfectly right in saying so about the grades but provided you have the grades the person should do Medicine because they want to, not because they have stupidly high grades.

The year before, the number of Medicine applicants was far less from our school because people chose other courses. Medicine is not for everyone. It does not mean they did not have the grades to do it. Do you see the point I am trying to make?

The stats which I showed you are extremely biased.
    Well its good that you agree on the basis of grades, but there are other things that are important in applying to medicine that a school can (and will in some cases) help with. Interview preparation, help with obtaining work experience, better help with the personal statement, and indeed just a culture of applying will make a surprising difference in what people aspire to.

Good schools give students a huge advantage in life and uni applications, something people who can't afford it will miss out on.

ReputationRep:
    Well its good that you agree on the basis of grades, but there are other things that are important in applying to medicine that a school can (and will in some cases) help with. Interview preparation, help with obtaining work experience, better help with the personal statement, and indeed just a culture of applying will make a surprising difference in what people aspire to.

Good schools give students a huge advantage in life and uni applications, something people who can't afford it will miss out on.
    Very true.

ReputationRep:
    truth is, a lot of you wouldnt apply to medicine if you were in certain schools and in certain backgrounds. you'd probably not go to university straight after school.

saying that its dependent on the person is of course a solid slap in the face to all the towns and cities that never send anyone to med school.

well, lets not piss on the backs of the poor and then tell them its raining, maccas?

ReputationRep:

vey true.

gramma schools have a lot of experiance of getting thier pupils on to competative courses at uni. comp schools do not have a clue (well mine didnt).

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think A-Level study is completely down to the person and all a well qualified teacher does is speed up the process of understanding, which is why I made that comment.
    then why do alevel student not just learn at home, why go to school it that is the case. comp school struggle to get good grades because there is offen 30+ pupils in a class. take maths for example, if 30 students are stuck on a question, in a one hour lesson the teacher will prob not get round to everyone to explain it so some pupils are sent home not under standing. in a gramma school it is easier for the teacher to get round the class because there are less pupils.
    It just takes the average person a little longer to grasp a concept. Fair comment made about grades but are grades everything you need to become a doctor? A lot of grammar school kids have their heads stuck up their backsides.
    i think you will find that you have to meet minimum entrance requierment to apply to medicine. at the school i went to (which was a comp) if some one had 1A at GCSE, even if it was in media studies, they were thought of as really clever. generally most pupils left my school with only 3-4 GCSEs, for thoes who passed all their GCSEs very few got more than one A and no one got all As. so no getting good grades has little to do with how good a doctor will be but it has a lot to do with weather someone will apply to medical school.
    As far as anti-social behavior is concerned, we have our share. It is just that there is far less tolerance so suspensions are handed out like merit points. lol.
    exactally my point, your school could aford to put stronger disaplain in place.
    My school was free so it was not perfect. The environment is better, that is undeniable but most of my friends genuinely wanted to do Medicine.
    im not saying gramma school kids are fourced into medicine, i am saying that they have more of a choice because they had a better education and support. there were alot of people in my year who wanted to go into medicine and law but they did not get the grades, yes partly becasue of their own effort but also due to poor teaching and lack of resourses at the school. in fact at my school if a teacher caught to you saying "i wanna do medicine" you got an appointment made with the career advisor to disscuss more realistic options because the school knew that they did not have the resources to help to student achive to that standard.

please understand that this is not a dig at gramma schools i am just stating the fact that gramma school eduction is better. i would love to have gone to a gramma school but due to my families situation i did not have a choice where i studied.
    i know that for the school that i went to i achieved very good grades but if i had achieved thoes grades at gramma school i would have been in the bottem proportion of the class. that is the differance.

ReputationRep:
    but this thread is about applying to med school not going to med school. (hint: its in the title)
    so actually it does show that going to a gramma school(or should i say getting a better education) will give you more choice what course you apply for at uni.

also no one has said in this thread that gramma school kids get forced into medicine, so im not sure where you are getting that idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    well, lets not piss on the backs of the poor and then tell them its raining, maccas?
    Or just tell them your pissing on them?

:p:

ReputationRep:
    macca......

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.