Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriz M)
    I don't think they work out the UMS separately. They just add all your marks up, so 25+50 then find your UMS from your score out of 75.
    not sure, but in the old spec they had grade boundaries for both sections and separate markings. I got told for the multiple choice they scale it up so it's out of 50, then UMS it out of 100.

Dunno, but lets hope for lowish grade boundaries. I just want a B really xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fahadalhasan)
    not sure, but in the old spec they had grade boundaries for both sections and separate markings. I got told for the multiple choice they scale it up so it's out of 50, then UMS it out of 100.

Dunno, but lets hope for lowish grade boundaries. I just want a B really xD
    As far as I understand the module is out of 120UMS. I'll look on the AQA website.

Edit: After going on the website (and searching for Physics A, and getting Physics B as the top option) and loading the specification it isn't clear, except the 25,50 split. Doesn't really talk about UMS. (And I think it is a useless specification).

ReputationRep:
    The weighting in A2 is the same as AS

ReputationRep:
    I think it's out of 120 UMS, that was a good yet challenging exam, I found I had to rush a bit didn't have time to re- check calculations. Also they didn't give enough space for some responses but overall I liked it.

ReputationRep:
    The rule is that if you're given/using information to a certain degree of accuracy that's the most accuracy you can give answers to; i.e if you're using g as 9.81 your answer can ONLY be 3sf, no more exact, similarly for constants and the mass of the earth etc.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair... I'd be happy with a B.
    Didn't do very well at all.
    The KWh question was GCSE and couldn't remember it.
    And I forgot about laminating the core... I wrote something like "make sure everything is tight so there are no vibrations and sound lose" I know it is a load of pig swill but oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afridi10)
    I think it's out of 120 UMS, that was a good yet challenging exam, I found I had to rush a bit didn't have time to re- check calculations. Also they didn't give enough space for some responses but overall I liked it.
    I agree with the space problem. I required extra paper for one question, (mainly as I used the space up then changed my mind on how to answer it!) the one on proving the time for energy to go down by 90% being about 25s. I think the answer is to make it clearer that you can ask for extra paper.

ReputationRep:
    I always used to get extra paper because I heard it went to chief examiner and therefore if you were a good candidate you get benefit if doubt on some q's. I was told this by a business teacher at gcse. I did this at AS but it backfired, I got 2 exams re marked due to being unhappy about the result and they both went up. Now I've heard that chief examiners or senior examiners are harsher so in this exam cycle Ive stopped using extra paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afridi10)
    I always used to get extra paper because I heard it went to chief examiner and therefore if you were a good candidate you get benefit if doubt on some q's. I was told this by a business teacher at gcse. I did this at AS but it backfired, I got 2 exams re marked due to being unhappy about the result and they both went up. Now I've heard that chief examiners or senior examiners are harsher so in this exam cycle Ive stopped using extra paper.
    My geography teacher said simular too (for GCSE); If you use extra paper you get a human marker rather than scanned in, and with my handwriting that is probably a good thing. But I would rather use extra paper than squish my answer into a tiny square and get no marks because you can't read it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys anyone got the paper ? and i was wondering what books people use for astrophysics if it is one of their choices ?

ReputationRep:
    Massive fail! Couldn't answer half the questions, ran out of time, rushed the last question.

Just one big fail.

ReputationRep:
    Well... i didnt think it was THAT bad... :-/ just alot of random maths and a 16mark question about transformers?!!?! o.O wot is the world comin to?! andfor the one about the centripetal acceleration of the sattelite abit pissed off bout tht, cos no info was given so i had to assume it was geosynchronous.. :-/ well.. it wasnt nething lik the specimen paper, but everything asked was pretty much on spec, except funny how they didnt ask a single question about magnetic fields, flux and emf.. >< i reli lik those!!

i think ppl shud start complainin our joinin tht stupid facebook group, cos it was a relativly decent paper tbh. so we wont have the same effect as the bio ppl, cos theres not as many of us and AQA will just think we're pushing our luck and tryin it after the bio group..

(Original post by Chiaki031)
    Well... i didnt think it was THAT bad... :-/ just alot of random maths and a 16mark question about transformers?!!?! o.O wot is the world comin to?! andfor the one about the centripetal acceleration of the sattelite abit pissed off bout tht, cos no info was given so i had to assume it was geosynchronous.. :-/ well.. it wasnt nething lik the specimen paper, but everything asked was pretty much on spec, except funny how they didnt ask a single question about magnetic fields, flux and emf.. >< i reli lik those!!

i think ppl shud start complainin our joinin tht stupid facebook group, cos it was a relativly decent paper tbh. so we wont have the same effect as the bio ppl, cos theres not as many of us and AQA will just think we're pushing our luck and tryin it after the bio group..
    i think it was a fair paper, my grade will reflect the amount of work (or lack of) that i put in. The bio paper on the other hand :hehe:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trollman)
    i think it was a fair paper, my grade will reflect the amount of work (or lack of) that i put in. The bio paper on the other hand :hehe:
    lol haha yeh, it was decent jst alot of maths... so mayb nt tht gud for ppl who dont do maths? :-/ and as for the gradessss..... >< jst hoping to gt a B!! am nt greedy or nething jst was a B! and lol i herd bout the bio exam, and the shrews issue.. XD funny (but probably nt for u)

ReputationRep:
    what did everyone get for switching off the computer, i was confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabregassed)
    what did everyone get for switching off the computer, i was confused.
    #]

lol yh me too.. i said it saves the owner money, cos it doesnt waste energy. but as forr the disadvantage.. i cudnt think of any, so i put it might cause the computer to lose data.. ><

ReputationRep:
    #]

lol yh me too.. i said it saves the owner money, cos it doesnt waste energy. but as forr the disadvantage.. i cudnt think of any, so i put it might cause the computer to lose data.. ><
    for the disadvantage i put that i takes more energy to switch the computer on :confused:

ReputationRep:
    #]

I put that the computer may wear/break prematurely/earlier, because if you do leave a computer on 24/7 it should last longer than if you were to turn it off/on daily.

ReputationRep:
    is anyone resiting the AQA AS Physics coursework?

ReputationRep:
    no girls do physics??!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.