Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genesis-ar92)
    is anyone resiting the AQA AS Physics coursework?
    Me!!
    but we're doing the EMPA so its not really a coursework,.. just a couple of dreadful and sweaty hours

ReputationRep:
    I'm resitting the practical. Idk if its the same as what your doing though.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was ready to answer all of the magnetic field and electrical field stuff and about force being perpendicular to the velocity and stuff. But nothing. The transformer question was like =/ I kind of just remembered what I got taught at GCSE for it, I couldn't remember anything about laminated cores or anything. I just said increase the number of coils or something and increase the resistivity of the coil or something. Epic Fail on that part.

I also thought the question about money, was GCSE, since I couldn't remember how to do it so I got something like £3.14 or something.

Maybe because we're the first lot to go through for the exam, maybe they'll lower the grade boundaries to make it look appealing for the future. Although I think I was kind of cheated, I was expecting hard questions like the old spec so I revised all of that and I was anticipating Transformers, but like something on how to make it better was like =/ well oh s***.

I also put as an advantage, uses less power if you switch it off. As for a disadvantage, I could only think of that it would take longer to load up. It's one of those silly applied questions at the end. Like in my Computing exam last year, the first time it had as the last question "What is a Robot?" now that could have many meanings in the terms of Computing. Silly, silly AQA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuredoc77)
    Me!!
    but we're doing the EMPA so its not really a coursework,.. just a couple of dreadful and sweaty hours
    i had to do that one, its better than the other type i think :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabregassed)
    i had to do that one, its better than the other type i think :yep:
    mine was SH** last year, got a bloody D on it!!! hadn't seen that comin'
    haven't got a clue where it went wrong :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiaki031)
    #]

lol yh me too.. i said it saves the owner money, cos it doesnt waste energy. but as forr the disadvantage.. i cudnt think of any, so i put it might cause the computer to lose data.. ><
    I used the same advantage, but just said it takes longer to start up when you want to use it. Not very scientific, but true. If it starts up in 5s rather than 2 minutes I might turn mine of more often (in my defence I do at night or going out for a while, but whilst eating I leave it on ).

(Original post by Chiaki031)
    lol haha yeh, it was decent jst alot of maths... so mayb nt tht gud for ppl who dont do maths? :-/ and as for the gradessss..... >< jst hoping to gt a B!! am nt greedy or nething jst was a B! and lol i herd bout the bio exam, and the shrews issue.. XD funny (but probably nt for u)
    i dont do maths but i think i got the capacitance/logs right

ReputationRep:
    Ugh.
    Did anyone else find it hard to complete this on time?

ReputationRep:
    If anyone has the paper, please upload it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes, got a C in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazchaz)

My KE Graph
    that's not right
    it should be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physics_fanatic)
    yupp £3.78
    you had to use the 3W power (as this is the power into the transformer) and so it came to £4.20

(Original post by Mr Nonsense)
    that's not right
    it should be
    damn it your right! i forgot the curve mine approaching x axis

ReputationRep:
    anyone calculate the one about accelaration of the satellite B?
    i use the formula v^2/r = GM/r^2 , M is the earth mass,
    and the ans. is somthing like 3.2 m/s^-2

ReputationRep:
    you had to use the 3W power (as this is the power into the transformer) and so it came to £4.20
    The question specifically said the energy wasted due to leaving the TV on standby.

I think it would be ridiculous if they specified this, then included the energy wasted due to efficiency, I checked the wording a few times to make sure it did not say anything to imply using the addition energy wasted in the transformer, therefore I think the answer to that question was £3.78 ~ £4.

I wouldn't be surprised however, if both were valid as both answers are a similar distance away from £4.

(Original post by chimmpin)
    anyone calculate the one about accelaration of the satellite B?
    i use the formula v^2/r = GM/r^2 , M is the earth mass,
    and the ans. is somthing like 3.2 m/s^-2
    Yeah, I got that

For the displacement, the definition is that displacement is opposite and proportional to accelaration, therefore pi radians out of phase. Velocity comes between these too, so it would be pi/2 radians out of phase with displacement.

...Also, pissed at the amount of time I wasted getting to grips with induction. Very. Pissed. Off.

Wait, can't remember if the graph had amplitude or time on the x axis.
    I did amplitude and that gave the 'boob' graph...Could'a bin time though

ReputationRep:
    that's not right
    it should be
    Its not, if you have the Nelson Thornes text book, top right of P45, theyre meant to be non sinusoidal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akhy123)
    The question specifically said the energy wasted due to leaving the TV on standby.

I think it would be ridiculous if they specified this, then included the energy wasted due to efficiency, I checked the wording a few times to make sure it did not say anything to imply using the addition energy wasted in the transformer, therefore I think the answer to that question was £3.78 ~ £4.

I wouldn't be surprised however, if both were valid as both answers are a similar distance away from £4.

Yeah, I got that

For the displacement, the definition is that displacement is opposite and proportional to accelaration, therefore pi radians out of phase. Velocity comes between these too, so it would be pi/2 radians out of phase with displacement.

...Also, pissed at the amount of time I wasted getting to grips with induction. Very. Pissed. Off.

Wait, can't remember if the graph had amplitude or time on the x axis.
    I did amplitude and that gave the 'boob' graph...Could'a bin time though
    yes put the diagram of the transformer circuit clearly showed that the switch was in the primary circuit, so by turning it off at the switch you totally disconnect the transformer from the power and so no energy will be dissipated in the transformer so no energy losses. However with the switch on, the transformer is connected so the power used up is 3W. That is why they made you calculate that energy in the earlier parts.... It is perfectly valid in my opinion. By having it on standby you use up 3W of power, therefore when calculating energy wasted, you consider it using 3W over 80% of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogie)
    Its not, if you have the Nelson Thornes text book, top right of P45, theyre meant to be non sinusoidal.
    the graph in the book is energy with respect to displacement. The graph in the exam was energy with respect to time --> sine^2 graph shown. If you have the CGP book, the exact graph is there...

edit - this shows that it should be a sine^2 graph

ReputationRep:
    I think i got like 5/25 on multiple choice and 40/50 on written :P
    I just can't do multiple choice !

ReputationRep:
    physics a sounds so much more interesting that b

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.