The Student Room Group

AQA Physics Unit 4 Thread - JAN 28th 2010 (Post Exam)

Scroll to see replies

i'm so screwed... have just starting revising, too late.

Anyway, i was doing those exam questions at the end of the chapter and there was a question on F=kx and E=1/2 k x^2 synoptic, ya but i didn't expect it to be that specific..
there's also a quantum physics question from unit 1, wth??
Reply 21
futuredoc77
i'm so screwed... have just starting revising, too late.

Anyway, i was doing those exam questions at the end of the chapter and there was a question on F=kx and E=1/2 k x^2 synoptic, ya but i didn't expect it to be that specific..
there's also a quantum physics question from unit 1, wth??

these A2 papers can be synoptic, meaning they can test us on anything that has been in the previous units as well as the current unit, i.e. stuff from unit 1 and 2 in AS
Robofish
these A2 papers can be synoptic, meaning they can test us on anything that has been in the previous units as well as the current unit, i.e. stuff from unit 1 and 2 in AS

Yes, I AM aware of that. Its just that i didn't expect the synoptic part to be that specific, you know.
I thought it'll be like biology, where you get asked general stuff about enzymes and stuff... its not as specific as say "what is a peptide bond and how is it made?" which would be very specific and we shouldn't be expected to remember... you know what i am saying?
Reply 23
futuredoc77
Yes, I AM aware of that. Its just that i didn't expect the synoptic part to be that specific, you know.
I thought it'll be like biology, where you get asked general stuff about enzymes and stuff... its not as specific as say "what is a peptide bond and how is it made?" which would be very specific and we shouldn't be expected to remember... you know what i am saying?

ye i know what you mean, the only things i can think of them asking is about hookes law in relation to springs in SHM or maybe internal resistance in capacitors
Robofish
ye i know what you mean, the only things i can think of them asking is about hookes law in relation to springs in SHM or maybe internal resistance in capacitors

like I said, they have asked about an alpha decay in the "exam-style questions" in the book, lets hope none of that stuff pops up tomorrow.

the scariest synoptic for me would be diffraction and waves and all that crap.. i didn't even learn it properly last year... i hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass tomorrow.. :s-smilie:
Also, how much time do you reckon we should spend on the multiple-choice questions, i mean its a third of the whole module, so... would 45 min be enough?
Reply 26
are grav field strength and potential gradient vectors or scalars? And can someone please explain how damping affects resonance as its in the spec but there's not much on it in the book. Thanks for any help!
Reply 27
futuredoc77
Also, how much time do you reckon we should spend on the multiple-choice questions, i mean its a third of the whole module, so... would 45 min be enough?

yeah roughly about 45mins, but you might be able 2 get thru the mutli choice quicker hopefully spend more time on the written answers
Reply 28
koki234
are grav field strength and potential gradient vectors or scalars? And can someone please explain how damping affects resonance as its in the spec but there's not much on it in the book. Thanks for any help!

You only get resonance with light damping. I think they are vectors but not certain, according to the holy source of reference (wikipedia) gravitational field strength is a vector pointing towards the centre of mass. With gravitational potential I think it is a vector as the gradient is g so should be a vector.
Reply 29
futuredoc77
like I said, they have asked about an alpha decay in the "exam-style questions" in the book, lets hope none of that stuff pops up tomorrow.

the scariest synoptic for me would be diffraction and waves and all that crap.. i didn't even learn it properly last year... i hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass tomorrow.. :s-smilie:

O there is a simple reason for that!
They are taken from old syllabus papers and they learned about waves fields and nuclear energy. The alpha decay comes from nuclear energy. However the spring constant you need to know!

Also hello robofish! look at the page before can you do the questions i cant understand? thanks vishal!
Reply 30
what are the advantages and disadvantages of resonance
Reply 31
Ram92
O there is a simple reason for that!
They are taken from old syllabus papers and they learned about waves fields and nuclear energy. The alpha decay comes from nuclear energy. However the spring constant you need to know!

Also hello robofish! look at the page before can you do the questions i cant understand? thanks vishal!

im doing that paper as we speak, except im stuck on Q6, i dunno how though..
Reply 32
Robofish
im doing that paper as we speak, except im stuck on Q6, i dunno how though..

6 is B because... i cant remember how to do it! gimie a sec

When you get to the ones I can't do post them up :biggrin:

It is a good paper to do it will iron out those stupid mistakes! and there are some questions I have not seen before which is good if they come up now
Reply 33
Ram92
6 is B because... i cant remember how to do it! gimie a sec

When you get to the ones I can't do post them up :biggrin:

It is a good paper to do it will iron out those stupid mistakes! and there are some questions I have not seen before which is good if they come up now

also got Q7 wrong, once again, dunno how..
Reply 34
rbnphlp
what are the advantages and disadvantages of resonance

That is a bit random. I guess the disadvantages are easier: Can cause large amplitudes in a vibrating system that can break a bridge, building, spring. Advantages? I guess making a large vibration for swings, mixing stuff, buzzers. I can't think of any really.
Reply 35
Robofish
also got Q7 wrong, once again, dunno how..

7 is 18 - (-12) which is 30 then times that by the mass!
then you get the answer and you know it is going away from the racket
Reply 36
Chriz M
That is a bit random. .

trust me AQA gets much more randomer
Im doing the old one , so just wanted to sneak in trying to revise..
Chriz M
Advantages? I guess making a large vibration for swings, mixing stuff, buzzers. I can't think of any really.

MRI SCAN , microwave ovens, musical instruments .
Your turn ask a question:smile:
Reply 37
rbnphlp
trust me AQA gets much more randomer
Im doing the old one , so just wanted to sneak in trying to revise..

MRI SCAN , microwave ovens, musical instruments .
Your turn ask a question:smile:

Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned that. And going on the infamous AQA Biology exam, I'm not holding my hopes high for a straight forward paper. In that case my question would be why does gravitational potential's formula have a negative sign?
Reply 38
Chriz M
Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned that. And going on the infamous AQA Biology exam, I'm not holding my hopes high for a straight forward paper. In that case my question would be why does gravitational potential's formula have a negative sign?

its the way how gravitational potential is defined..
"The work done in moving an object from infinity to the earth's surface"
the negative sign indicates that potential at infinity (zero) is higher than the potential on the earth.so
an abject at earth has negative potential eenrgy so work must be done on the object to lift it towards infinity.
Reply 39
Q:
State two ways of inducing an emf and explain how

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending