Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A sledge of mass 25 kg is on a plane inclined at 30° to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the sledge and the plane is 0.2.
    On a subsequent occasion the cable is not in use and two people of total mass 150 kg are seated in the sledge. The sledge is held at rest by a horizontal force of magnitude P newtons. Find the least value of P which will prevent the sledge from sliding down the plane.

Completely stuck and this is the only question I don't understand the full concept. Please could someone explain and show the answer?

ReputationRep:
    draw a diagram of the plane and the block (including the block's total mass [25+2*150]). Resolve parallel to the plane since P acts parallel to the plane (ie do F=ma parallel to the plane [taking up or down as +ve and the other as -ve]):

ie F=ma (on sledge, taking up slope as the +ve direction)

Pcos(30) - {[25+2*150]*9.8}sin(30) +0.2*[25+2*150]cos(30) = [25+2*150]*a

1st term on LHS = horizontal force component, 2nd on LHS = gravity component parallel to slope and 3rd on LHS = friction (acts up slope because it opposes motion)
    P is horizontal, NOT parallel to the slope.
    Where a is acceleration, which is zero since the question says it doesn't move.
    This is my method, I have a slightly different method to the book.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still lost
    oh and the total mass is 150, not each person's mass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    I'm still lost
    oh and the total mass is 150, not each person's mass
    Oh I see, you'll have to forgive me.

OK basically you draw a diagram with all of the forces and angles on it etc, resolve the forces so that you have the component of each force parallel to the slope (remember that P is horizontal not parallel to the slope). Then do F=ma on the sledge, this will give you an equation involving P, which you then make the subject and find the value of it.

Sorry if that doesn't help, but there is only so much I can do over the internet, if not go and ask a teacher to go through it with you, but don't panic over it, it isn't worth it OK.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.