Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Simple guide to burning fat watch

ReputationRep:
    I am sorry if this has been explained, but I didn't find what I was looking for.

Basically, I am over 20 stone and 24 (almost) years old. I am pretty fit, especially for my size, and probably don't look so heavy as I am.

BUT I am certainly in need to losing some body fat and mass, and want to find the best way of doing it.

At the moment I am eating:
    cereal or toast w butter
    sandwich at lunch
    sensible sized dinner, cooked

I am gyming approx twice a week (want to step up to three times or more, really). At the gym, I do:

-1 hour of running averaging around 7km/h
    -cycle fairly relaxed for 20 mins
    -20 mins running at around 8km/h

Sometimes I just do the hour run if I'm in a hurry to work/meet friends etc.

I am also restarting my embargo on alcohol (beer and cider especially).

Anything else I can do/variations in exercise for better fat burning... or different approaches to diet (reasonably speaking).

At my weight, I feel like I should be able to drop 5-7lbs a week fairly comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    HIIT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    I am pretty fit, especially for my size, and probably don't look so heavy as I am.
    I'd be sceptical of that given your diet and exercise regime.

BUT I am certainly in need to losing some body fat and mass, and want to find the best way of doing it.
    1) Eat better

2) Exercise more

3) Exercise better

4) Do a combination of the above

At the moment I am eating:
    cereal or toast w butter
    sandwich at lunch
    sensible sized dinner, cooked
    1) No processed food

2) More decent sources of protein (ie; meat, fish, eggs, nuts, beans, lentils, etc)

3) More decent sources of fats (ie; nuts, seeds, olive oil, etc)

4) Moderate consumption of low GI carbs (ie; lentils, beans, vegetables, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, etc)

5) Eat more vegetables

Basically read the healthy eating guide in the Fitness sticky.

I am gyming approx twice a week (want to step up to three times or more, really). At the gym, I do:

-1 hour of running averaging around 7km/h
    -cycle fairly relaxed for 20 mins
    -20 mins running at around 8km/h
    1) Get your 10,000 steps per day minimum (3-5 miles)

2) Resistance train (eg; Starting Strength - it's a beginner routine which would be ideal for you)

3) Perhaps supplement the above with 1-2 days of HIIT per week

I am also restarting my embargo on alcohol (beer and cider especially).
    Good, keep it up. A blast out every week can undo most if not all of your weight loss.

At my weight, I feel like I should be able to drop 5-7lbs a week fairly comfortably.
    5-7lbs per week of weight loss is neither healthy nor sustainable - aim for 1-2lbs per week.

ReputationRep:
    Diet is key to loosing weight so do your research on that, just look at body building websites there are tonnes of fat guys (no offence) who have lost plenty of weight and the post up their diets and training so you can get an idea of what to do. But it's all an individual thing so it will take some trial and error my advice is just eat a bit below maintinance, lift weights and do some HIIT cardio and the weight will come off.

ReputationRep:
    Get a better diet, more fruit and veg and try increasing the exercise a bit

ReputationRep:
    I agree with most of the above, except the high protein notion, which will lead me to build muscle. I have no interest in building muscle, as I already have good levels of strength from my time doing American football. It's all about being lighter, so as little muscle mass conversion as possible is key.

I am not one of those losers who goes to the gym to try and outlift his testosterone-poisoned friends.

I am also not sure that 1-2lbs is the healthy limit, especially at my level of activity and current weight. I should burn calories with relative ease on the exercise regime you (the mod guy) suggested, surely?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with most of the above, except the high protein notion, which will lead me to build muscle. I have no interest in building muscle, as I already have good levels of strength from my time doing American football. It's all about being lighter, so as little muscle mass conversion as possible is key.

I am not one of those losers who goes to the gym to try and outlift his testosterone-poisoned friends.

I am also not sure that 1-2lbs is the healthy limit, especially at my level of activity and current weight. I should burn calories with relative ease on the exercise regime you (the mod guy) suggested, surely?
    If you're going to overlook the advice given here, then why bother asking? Do what you want, pal.

ReputationRep:

You don't magically build muscle just by eating more protein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rummang)
    If you're going to overlook the advice given here, then why bother asking? Do what you want, pal.
    I can see why you have so many warning points, erratic and stupid post here to exemplify that. Check yourself, please.

And Brotherhood, of course not... but I am fairly sure it won't help me to go all Henry VIII, especially without a lot of money available.

Anyway out for a run before bed.

ReputationRep:

with comments like the ones in bold there is not much point in giving you any help

ReputationRep:
    Wrong. But I do recommend you up the protein count because your body uses protein to make hemoglobin, the part of red blood cells that carries oxygen to parts of your body, as clearly your brain isn't getting enough of it.

1-2lbs IS the healthy limit, that's why he friggin' said it you moron.

I can see why you have so many warning points, erratic and stupid post here to exemplify that. Check yourself, please.

And Brotherhood, of course not... but I am fairly sure it won't help me to go all Henry VIII, especially without a lot of money available.

Anyway out for a run before bed.
    Oh shut it, you jackass. It's funny how a guy looking for advice ignores advice and calls someone else stupid.

This topic should've been locked with a single post pointing to the 'FITNESS STICKY' right at the top of this section.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with most of the above, except the high protein notion
    A high protein intake coupled with resistance training during weight loss will ensure that you lose prodominantly fat as opposed to muscle.

In simple terms you will end up looking better, quicker.

which will lead me to build muscle.
    Muscle doesn't just appear out of nowhere, you need the right stimulus, energy, plenty of protein and other nutrients, etc - it is extremely unlikely to happen in someone who is running a high calorie deficit (ie; you).

That's the level recommended by most if not all healthcare professionals and/or trainers.

Let's put 5-7lbs into context, you'd have to be running a 2500-3500 calorie deficit on a daily basis - that's equivalent to 5+ hours of moderate to hard exercise on a daily basis and/or cutting back on your calorific intake significantly.

Decent sources of protein don't have to be expensive (eg; eggs, milk, beans, lentils, whey protein, peanut butter, cheap cuts of meat, etc).

Being ignorant and rude is significantly worse in my book.

ReputationRep:
    I've been warned before about using this sub-forum, by somebody who used to be a regular in fitness. I am referring to the wind-up merchant (infinitely more rude than myself and yet to admit his own ignorance).

I do thank you for your advice choco, it is sound and with the figures in mind you do seem much more right about the weight loss rate. However, when I do my running and track calories, by doing intervals of 6kph/8kph/10kph at 2/3/1 mins for an hour... the machine SAYS I've burned 800-900 cals.

Do you place much reliance on the output or should I just ignore it? I like to have it on as a means of motivation sometimes, but not sure if it's giving me the wrong impression.

Please, please don't respond rummang if you aren't going to help with the questions I've posed. I'll report if you if you start behaving like a child and derail the thread again.

ReputationRep:
    crazy troll is crazy trolling you lot

ReputationRep:
    I do thank you for your advice choco, it is sound and with the figures in mind you do seem much more right about the weight loss rate. However, when I do my running and track calories, by doing intervals of 6kph/8kph/10kph at 2/3/1 mins for an hour... the machine SAYS I've burned 800-900 cals.
    To me that sounds a bit optimistic - if we were talking about mph maybe. The vast majority of calorie calculators are incredibly inaccurate.

Even if we assume that it is right it's not likely to be something that you can sustain for 3-5 hours at a time. You'd still have to cut significant amounts of calories from your diet which is going to have an impact on your work capacity.

Do you place much reliance on the output or should I just ignore it? I like to have it on as a means of motivation sometimes, but not sure if it's giving me the wrong impression.
    There is nothing wrong with focusing on a target but some are better indicators of your progress than others (eg; strength, fitness, bodyfat percentage, etc).

Focusing on calorie expenditure tends to create an unhealthy obsession with counting calories.

I've been warned before about using this sub-forum, by somebody who used to be a regular in fitness. I am referring to the wind-up merchant (infinitely more rude than myself and yet to admit his own ignorance).
    Irrespective of how some people are depicted nobody has shown you any animosity (at least not without provocation) - if someone had then sure I could understand your attitude. Take people at face value.

Also think very carefully about what you say concerning certain groups of people (eg; gym goers), especially when the people who are most able to help you probably fit into that category.

You have a notariety of your own.

ReputationRep:
    I am notorious, true, but generally for dismantling trolls in my own domain 'sports'.

Also, when compared to you, rummang has proven himself most unhelpful and a little insulting. Hard not to put two and two together with the warning points decorating him and make 4, or 5 as you may be suggesting.

With respect to my view of some gym goers, it is only an opinion and one that genuinely makes the gym an unpleasant place for people such as myself. I have no problem expressing that.

Thank you for answering my questions choco. You are my days pos rep.

ReputationRep:
    It's just flat-out insulting when you challenge someones intelligence (In this case Chocoholics) when you're seeking advice in an area where you clearly have no clue. Sure you didn't insult me directly (Originally anyway), but we're quite a close-knit group of people around this part of the forum and we don't sit back while ignorant fools come trekking around here insulting one of our guys. And ESPECIALLY when it's someone like Chocoholic, the dude knows straight up what he's talking about.

ReputationRep:
    I am notorious, true, but generally for dismantling trolls in my own domain 'sports'.

Also, when compared to you, rummang has proven himself most unhelpful and a little insulting. Hard not to put two and two together with the warning points decorating him and make 4, or 5 as you may be suggesting.

With respect to my view of some gym goers, it is only an opinion and one that genuinely makes the gym an unpleasant place for people such as myself. I have no problem expressing that.

Thank you for answering my questions choco. You are my days pos rep.
    Why? Nobody cares you're there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Why? Nobody cares you're there.
    And that's why they glare at me when I go in, as if to suggest gtfo. I'm sure you had to be there.

ReputationRep:
    And that's why they glare at me when I go in, as if to suggest gtfo. I'm sure you had to be there.
    As would be suggested by your post and desire to loose bodyfat it would seem your are somewhat body image concerned. If you go to a decent gym (and I don't mean an Americanised health club) then nobody cares who you are or what your doing, they are far to focused on why they are in the gym.

I couldn't have put any of Chocs advice better myself, it is pretty much nail on head time with that. There is further info in the links in my siggy regarding HIIT, which if you played American Football you should be used too and enjoy more, it does say it is for women, only as we get influxes of girls talking of toneing and so on, the principle is the same for fellas though.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.