Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically this evening I was driving in an area I don't know very well and accidently drown the wrong way down a one way street. Thankfully there was no one else around and as soon as I realized my mistake I pulled into a side road and turned round.
    Anyway my question is does anyone know if I will have been caught doing this and if so what the punishment is? I think there were cameras but I'm not 100% certain. Nobody actually saw me do it. I'm really worried about this.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a bunch of Double Agents are gonna knock on your door in 5,4,3,2,1...

oh please

ReputationRep:
    I suspect you'll get away with it. I wouldn't expect anyone to actually care all that much.

That is, if they don't track you down using your post in this thread :p:

ReputationRep:
    i'm not entirely sure on govt. policy but hopefully it involves a long, painful death for the culprit.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep watching Police, Camera, Action from now on, as you are sure to be on it in the near future.

The rozzers are going to bust you good.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's easy to make a mistake in unfamiliar roads, or in the dark etc. As long as you didn't harm anyone it's okay. If you were speeding down a one way street maybe you may be picked up but from your description it was an unintentional mistake so don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    Friend of mine got a £45 fine and 3 points on his license for going down a one way street the wrong way.
    Same will probably happen to you.

ReputationRep:
    Its unlikely anything will come of it. Learn from it and dont do it again.

I have a seen a couple of people try to drive down princess street in manchester the wrong way, which is a 1 way 3 lane road out of the city!

ReputationRep:
    You've committed the offence of failing to comply with a traffic sign (the 'no entry'). Usually, it would take a policeman to spot you in order to fine you (only police can issue fines with points, not councils) in which case, you'd have been pulled over there and then. It's highly likely you've gotten away with it, unless the council gathered enough evidence by camera to pass on to the police. Again, the council itself can't fine you based on camera evidence alone (like it can for prohibited turn or box junction offences as these are non-endorsable).

(Original post by Adamski91)
    Friend of mine got a £45 fine and 3 points on his license for going down a one way street the wrong way.
    Same will probably happen to you.
    Current fixed penalty is £60 for an endorsable offence, but it was £40 some years ago. If it goes to court, the magistrates can just think of a number.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hogo)
    Yes, a bunch of Double Agents are gonna knock on your door in 5,4,3,2,1...

oh please
    Knock Knock.

ReputationRep:
    If no-one saw you do it then you'll be fine.

However, admitting it in writing as you have means you can now be taken to court, have your car impounded and your licence shredded.

:P :P ;P

Seriously, don't worry about it. The last time I messed up was, literally, right in front of a cop car. On an unfamiliar road, I'd got into the wrong lane-the lane for oncoming traffic-and the first car I encountered was a cop car. I just backed up to where I should have been and held up my hands in apology. He pulled alongside, rolled his window down and I quickly explained that I was new to the area. He just nodded and drove on. People make mistakes and, as long as you don't take the p***, you'll be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.