Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Want to get fit and healthy but have a question. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ello,

Okay basically I want to be fit and healthy...haven't started yet but I will be! :yep:

Anyway my question is can unhealthy people be as healthy as say people who have always ate the right things, never smokes, never drank? Is the damage reversable?

Take me, I am a slim person...which, I don't know, some people would see as healthy..meh, yeah right. I smoke..about 15 a day...20 on a bad day. I drink rarely. Okay the smoking is the worst thing here I know. I'm most definatly "skinny fat" as in I'm slim outside but on the inside I probably have fat around organs...nice!

If I totally changed my ways would I be on the same level as someone who has always been super healthy? Or is the damage lasting? Will the creaking stop? My joints creak ffs.

I used to be a great swimmer. Won competitions the lot! Gave up at 16 and I'm a wreck :sigh: I wish I never quit now.

I don't know I think I just need encouragement. If I knew that changing my ways would reverse damage I'd do it....actualy I think I'll be doing it anyway.

Sorry about the long post guys. Some words of wisdom wouldn't go a miss....and yes I will quit smoking. I did it for 6 months before now, I'm sure I could do it forever...damn smoking! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I watched a documentary about twins who didn't know they had a twin. One was a fitness enthusiast, lived by the book - ate his 5 a day, never smoked, didn't drink, exercised regularly etc etc - the other twin, ate crap, did no exercise and smoked 20 a day.

Guess which one had a the most health problems.... the so called 'healthy' twin. What I'm saying, is that if you're gonna pop your clogs from a heart attack, it's gonna happen.

Sure, you may feel much healthier in yourself, have stamina, be fit and 'healthy' but at the end of the day, health is genetic lol.

Of course, get fit, stop smoking (yes, smoking kills so it 100% preventable) and live healthier because in the short term, your body will thank you for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I watched a documentary about twins who didn't know they had a twin. One was a fitness enthusiast, lived by the book - ate his 5 a day, never smoked, didn't drink, exercised regularly etc etc - the other twin, ate crap, did no exercise and smoked 20 a day.

Guess which one had a the most health problems.... the so called 'healthy' twin. What I'm saying, is that if you're gonna pop your clogs from a heart attack, it's gonna happen.

Sure, you may feel much healthier in yourself, have stamina, be fit and 'healthy' but at the end of the day, health is genetic lol.

Of course, get fit, stop smoking (yes, smoking kills so it 100% preventable) and live healthier because in the short term, your body will thank you for it.
    Uh...what? So in theory, they should have had the same amount of health problems (ignoring everything else about the post).

As a reply to the OP, I don't know how reparable it is at the moment, but the longer you leave it the harder it will be.

ReputationRep:

Um, pretty sure it's both genetic and environmental.

ReputationRep:

That was quite depressing! Hmm will have to check out my family history methinks :yep:
    Yep I will be quitting. Last time I stopped for 6 months but setting a date and stopping on that day. Worked well. Shame you can't "forget" what it's like to smoke :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah smoking is just stupid in this day and age, the sooner you can quit, the better. Your body will thank you for it for sure.

ReputationRep:
    As far as smoking goes, Allen Carr (of The Easy Way to Stop Smoking- great book btw) claims that unless you've done something permanent to your lungs or already contracted a disease, your lungs are back to normal 3 weeks after quitting. I'm sceptical, but look it up.

ReputationRep:

That is...nonsense, on a number of different levels. First of all you have clearly misunderstood the idea of healthy living, balanced diets and regular exercise reducing the risk of illness and disease, the key word is reduce. Secondly, the program you watched was idiotic and is merely used as an excuse for those who lack motivation, this documentary merely showed an anomaly, think about the thousands upon thousands of others, and the documented research which says otherwise. The advice applies even more so in the long term so I am unsure what exactly your are trying to push.

What I'm saying, is that if you're gonna pop your clogs from a heart attack, it's gonna happen.
    What the hell is this? If I drive a car there is a chance that I will crash and die, however if I dont speed, not wear a seatbelt, drive on the opposite end of the road, and use my mobile while moving I can safely say my risk of having an accident are significantly reduced. The same applies to anything else, in both the long term and the short term.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah smoking is just stupid in this day and age, the sooner you can quit, the better. Your body will thank you for it for sure.
    I know it is, I know. When I like doing something I just can't stop. I need a new healthy addiction :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    As far as smoking goes, Allen Carr (of The Easy Way to Stop Smoking- great book btw) claims that unless you've done something permanent to your lungs or already contracted a disease, your lungs are back to normal 3 weeks after quitting. I'm sceptical, but look it up.
    Ah I've just been looking at quitting smoking threads and that book came up. Yes I will deffo give it a try.

I have had a chest infection...does that count as permenent damage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    That is...nonsense, on a number of different levels. First of all you have clearly misunderstood the idea of healthy living, balanced diets and regular exercise reducing the risk of illness and disease, the key word is reduce. Secondly, the program you watched was idiotic and is merely used as an excuse for those who lack motivation, this documentary merely showed an anomaly, think about the thousands upon thousands of others, and the documented research which says otherwise. The advice applies even more so in the long term so I am unsure what exactly your are trying to push.

What the hell is this? If I drive a car there is a chance that I will crash and die, however if I dont speed, not wear a seatbelt, drive on the opposite end of the road, and use my mobile while moving I can safely say my risk of having an accident are significantly reduced. The same applies to anything else, in both the long term and the short term.
    Stephen Gately popped his clogs due to an unknown congenital heart condition...

I was merely pointing out that even if you do live a particularly healthy lifestyle, some things just happen naturally...

I have no idea how my story was relevant to 'getting fit and healthy' I just thought it was quite ironic.... :p:

ReputationRep:
    "healthy" is subjective to your own physiology, but the sooner you quit the sure-fire ways of ruining your body the better (long term chain-smoking, excessive binge drinking, stuffing your face with mcdonalds etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ernestestes)
    "healthy" is subjective to your own physiology, but the sooner you quit the sure-fire ways of ruining your body the better (long term chain-smoking, excessive binge drinking, stuffing your face with mcdonalds etc)
    ....how did you know about my sneaky McChicken Sandwiches? :sigh:

I was going to start as soon as the exams are done...I don't need the added stress

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Gately popped his clogs due to an unknown congenital heart condition...

I was merely pointing out that even if you do live a particularly healthy lifestyle, some things just happen naturally...

I have no idea how my story was relevant to 'getting fit and healthy' I just thought it was quite ironic.... :p:
    Wasnt he some singer/pop idol contestant? Of course you heard about it, he was famous.

I mean seriously, your comments really aid the complaints of tabloid culture causing the miscommunication of facts. One case in the paper does not make it the rule.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think much damage is ever truly completely reversible, and it's irrelevant because you can't change past decisions anyway. Just the sooner you quit your bad habits, and the sooner you begin a healthier lifestyle the better! Good luck with your road to slightly improved lifestyle choices

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.