Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Telephone interview - not sure what to expect watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I think this is the right place. I have a telephone interview with an insurance company in a couple of days, for the position of a risk modeller. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what it'll be like. They've said it won't be 'technical', so what kinds of questions will they be asking?

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    I've had two of these types...

One with Aviva, one with Zurich.

The former was strengths based - testing me on situations and my responses. Looking into my personality and how I deal with things basically.

The latter put my technical knowledge under a microscope and grilled me on the company and business in general. It was daunting.

Phone interviews are, in my view, horrendous.

ReputationRep:
    I had (and failed) a phone interview a few months ago. Sounds like it will be a 'competency based' interview (to give you something to google)

here's some example questions
    http://www.interview-skills.co.uk/co...questions.aspx

Try & have some things in mind for a few of the skills they mention. In mine they were after really specific events and i got asked something like 'Describe a time when you were working on a team and something unexpected went wrong and how you worked together to solve the problem. What was your role and did this role change when you faced the problem?' I got a bit scared cause they were asking about so many things at once

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't much advice I threw in earlier, sorry, was at work.

Basically as above, but draft out situations for each competency element. Key ones include:
    -teamwork
    -meeting deadline
    -quality control in work
    -dealing with difficult situations/persons
    -learning from a mistake

etc.

draft an example situation: what happened, how it affected you, what action you took, and what the end result was due to your actions.

You may have to ad lib sometimes to mould a scenario to your question, but it should be reasonably straightforward if it was a real event you base your response on.

ReputationRep:
    Phone sex? :unsure:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.