Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Epinephrine. Why! What's wrong with Adrenaline?

ReputationRep:
    It's trademarked in the US isn't it?

Jell-O? What is dat all about?

:rolleyes:

I thought you were opposed to elitism Jakko

ReputationRep:
    "This chemical is widely referred to as adrenaline outside of the United States; however, the United States Approved Name and International Nonproprietary Name for this chemical is epinephrine. Epinephrine was chosen because adrenaline bore too much similarity to the Parke, Davis & Co trademark Adrenalin (without the "e"), which was registered in the United States. The British Approved Name and European Pharmacopoeia term for this chemical is adrenaline, and is indeed now one of the few differences between the INN and BAN systems of names.[9]

Amongst American health professionals and scientists, the term epinephrine is used over adrenaline. However, it should be noted that pharmaceuticals that mimic the effects of epinephrine are often called adrenergics, and receptors for epinephrine are called adrenergic receptors or adrenoceptors."

That was easy. Did you really need to make a thread for this? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    And what's the deal with New England? Last time I checked it's not that new.

ReputationRep:
    Get over it :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    That was easy. Did you really need to make a thread for this? :rolleyes:
    We didn't need that much rationalization! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    :rolleyes:

I thought you were opposed to elitism Jakko
    That's not true; I've never said such a thing, elitism can be good and in many places it's inevitable in one form or another....

(Original post by Jakko247)
    That's not true; I've never said such a thing, elitism can be good and in many places it's inevitable in one form or another....

Churchill college thread.

Troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    Churchill college thread.

Troll.
    And where in that so I say elitism is bad?

(Original post by Jakko247)
    And where in that so I say elitism is bad?

When you moan about GCSE requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    When you moan about GCSE requirements.
    I wasn't inclined to moan about any aspects of Churchill college before I met the vociferous oppostion who liked to advocate the ambivalent viewpoint of 'OMFG I DID IT WITH LIKE NO HELP SO THAT MEANS EVERYONE IN THE WORLD CAN. END OF STORY, GOODNIGHT!'

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I'm having deja vu... (Churchill thread).

Anyway, what's wrong with American English? You can't stop a language from evolving!

ReputationRep:
    Why should it matter if American English (at the most only different in terms of vocabulary and spelling) is different to British English?

Languages evolve, and regional differences arise over time.

Are people in Scotland bad for calling potatoes neeps, or is this just another regional linguistic difference?

ReputationRep:
    oh, it is difficult for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy for the regional diversity of English - it is the sign of a healthy language when it starts to develop in each nation that it has spread to, rather than simply being imitated by those nations. Case in point in Singapore, where "Singlish" is the language of the common man in the face of the barmy government there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    And what's the deal with New England? Last time I checked it's not that new.
    Neither is the New Forest; last time I looked it was about 950 :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Are people in Scotland bad for calling potatoes neeps, or is this just another regional linguistic difference?
    Some linguists consider that to be a different language. If someone speaks with a really thick scottish accent and uses lots of scottish words, they're speaking Scots, not English. Well, according to some people anyway. I think it's debatable whether it counts as a different language or whether it's just a dialect.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.