Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

burn ouchies watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Resolved.

so hobs on max.
    wrong hob plate.
    handle over wrong hob plate (not touching it of course).
    I put my hand to the pan handle (not realising it's the wrong hob plate thingy) and within a second my skin goes dead.

I run it under cold water for a minute. Then two minutes not doing anything. Then I kept it in cold water for, now, 2 hours.
    every time it's out of the water I'm in agony with it.
    No painkillers about.
    What should I do to it apart from water?
    ouchies
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    just make sure the waters running, or have lots and lots of ice in the water to keep it really cool. not huge amounts more you can do for it.
    could ask a flatmate or someone if they have any painkillers?

before you go to bed just put a clean bandage, or failing that clingfilm round it to keep the dirt out

ReputationRep:
    How big is the burn area? Is the skin pink or pussy and yellow? You need to keep it cool and clean. Clingflim it and wrap some frozen veg in a towel and put it on that. Don't burst any blisters and if it's still hot and painful in the morning consider going to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    Man up and tough it out.

ReputationRep:
    Amputation is THE only cure.

ReputationRep:
    it's white blisters. end of main lef finger opposite of nail side is about 50% covered.
    slowly filling up with healing fluid.

will the water aid recovery?
    or just less pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HCD)
    Man up and tough it out.
    problem-you're a ****** up **** muncher.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, you could rub a load of savlon over the burn and then bandage or clingfilm it up when you go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    no medicine type things in, and photo added, nowt special about them, just a bit painful...(ok, very painful)

ReputationRep:
    I was told ice packs help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starless Eyes)
    I was told ice packs help.
    frozen veg is all I got:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    frozen veg is all I got:p:
    I guess that will do

ReputationRep:
    Right, make sure you don't burst those blisters! And if you put frozen veg on it, you do wrap it in something - if you put it straight on it'll probably take the blisters and half the remaining skin off :eek: I'd stop with the water tbh, the blisters and the pus inside will start to heal your skin. The idea of cold water is that it draws the heat out of your skin quickly, lessening/stopping any further burning and cooling down the area. If blisters are formed, then it won't have anything to cool down because the pus will do that for it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Right, make sure you don't burst those blisters! And if you put frozen veg on it, you do wrap it in something - if you put it straight on it'll probably take the blisters and half the remaining skin off :eek: I'd stop with the water tbh, the blisters and the pus inside will start to heal your skin. The idea of cold water is that it draws the heat out of your skin quickly, lessening/stopping any further burning and cooling down the area. If blisters are formed, then it won't have anything to cool down because the pus will do that for it...
    why does it feel when out of water that the end of my finger is going to burst off?
    like masturbation, but instead of pleasure, ouchies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    why does it feel when out of water that the end of my finger is going to burst off?
    like masturbation, but instead of pleasure, ouchies.
    I would guess the air is irritating it. Try wrapping them in clingfilm (individually) and go and see someone in the morning if you value your finger tips :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I would guess the air is irritating it. Try wrapping them in clingfilm (individually) and go and see someone in the morning if you value your finger tips :yy:
    nowt to wrap them up with.

ReputationRep:
    okay tonight I'll keep them in water, hand in water on floor...
    ...that way the air can't irritate it?

LOL that's a bad one. Used to work in a kitchen, had my share of burns (I got a perfect love-heart shaped one on Valentines day! No joke!) and basically... you need to man up. Cool it under running water for 10 mins (a luxury - in a busy kitchen you don't even get that) and then just leave it. Keeping it in water will only prolong the pain, it'll hurt just as much every time you take it out. Either that or you'll waterlog / wrinkle the skin and make it more painful. Don't wrap it either, just leave it.

Though if your blisters come off / bleed, it'll need bandaging.

ReputationRep:
    Right, make sure you don't burst those blisters! And if you put frozen veg on it, you do wrap it in something - if you put it straight on it'll probably take the blisters and half the remaining skin off http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/eek.gif I'd stop with the water tbh, the blisters and the pus inside will start to heal your skin. The idea of cold water is that it draws the heat out of your skin quickly, lessening/stopping any further burning and cooling down the area. If blisters are formed, then it won't have anything to cool down because the pus will do that for it...
    you know your stuff :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    Your use of 'ouchies' makes me giggle

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.