Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I have an interview at Swansea for History next week and just wondered what level of formality I should go for...
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I went to my university interview in jeans - I would just go in what you feel comfortable in.

ReputationRep:
    I had an interview at Oxford in December and my tutors had told me to dress quite formally..I wore a grey dress and black shoes(not flat but neither heels)
    They said that it's very important to give a clean and elegant impression.
    However, I don't think that clothes matter that much. We all have first impressions about the people we meet but i know plenty of people who wore their everyday clothes and got accepted and the opposite.
    So, i think the best is somewhere in the middle. It's better not to wear jeans and sneakers but you should were something you feel comfortable in

ReputationRep:
    Usually I wear pretty scruffy clothes, however I was thinking for this jeans and a shirt, but my trainers are ****** dirty and broken so maybe black shoes?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I don't think you should dress too formally but nor should you look like you're going to go to the cinema with your mates later. If you're a girl, a dress with either no or very small heels and a cardie or something would be good, imo. If you're a boy, I'd say trousers with a shirt and maybe a t-shirt underneath?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micah114)
    Usually I wear pretty scruffy clothes, however I was thinking for this jeans and a shirt, but my trainers are ****** dirty and broken so maybe black shoes?
    That sounds fine. Better coming looking smart than a mess . It shouldn't be too formal so you won't need black trousers/a suit I wouldn't think.

ReputationRep:
    Jeans and t-shirt. You're there for a uni interview, not applying to work in the Queens household.

ReputationRep:
    gotta be a tux!

ReputationRep:
    For my Oxford interviews I just wore what are probably my smartest 'regular' clothes (red polo shirt, suit jacket, jeans) but to be honest that was just what I'd happened to pack - I'd have been just as comfortable in a hoodie or whatever. I'm not convinced that clothes really made much of a difference to my application!

I mean, obviously don't wear anything ridiculous, like with swear words on it or whatever, but you're going to be talking to serious academics, it's what you say that's important. Just wear what you feel comfortable in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.