Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I've been with my girl nearly 2 years. I love her lots and lots but sometimes we just run out of stuff to talk about and it just can feel pretty awkward on the phone. Would you guys kinda expect this or is it true you can just talk and talk forever about nothing to the one you really love? Doesn't bother me that much but sometimes gets a bit ****** when I wanna talk to her and she's like what's the point of ringing me if you're not gonna say anything.
    Like she's gone away for a little bit and we've been talking on the phone everyday then today we were like well there's nothing else to talk about really, even though we miss each other greatly.
    I see her at weekends usually at the moment and we talk on phone in the week, usually from about 20 mins to an hour a day and sometimes its just me asking the same boring questions.
    I dunno, what you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed this too and I've been with the girl I love for barely over a month.

ReputationRep:
    Thats a lot of time on the phone.
    Maybe just try to cut it down? Quality not quantity.

Or do something like read the same book, watch the same film, and discuss it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah this is normal, don't worry. What beetrootcake said - cut down a bit on how much time you spend on the phone :yep:

ReputationRep:
    As has already been mentioned, don't talk as much = having more to talk about!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's different- I can talk for England, and maybe Ireland:ninja:, but just try and make conversation, if you can't then just don't worry about it too much, and arrange/do other things like meet up to talk face to face lol/text... but best suggestion is cut down the hours. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I used to have this with my boyfriend, we'd call each other EVERYDAY before bed to have a chat (even if we'd seen each other the whole day) and after a while it seemed like a chore! You don't want it to end up like this because you're supposed to do it for your own enjoyment, not cause you feel you have to!

We solved it by talking a lot less frequently and it immediately felt better as we had more to catch up on!

It also depends on what sort of things you can talk about. Like if your conversations revolve mainly about what happened in each of your days, with your own sets of friends, what's happening with people you both know etc, then sometimes conversation can just slow because you've exhausted the 'list' of what you talk about. But if you can like ask random questions like 'believing in aliens', or 'what scares you most', you can reveal more about yourselves to each other and feel even closer as you know their deep beliefs, concerns etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.