Turn on thread page Beta

age difference: younger guy. weird? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21. He's 19. About 1.5 years younger (he'll turn 20 in a few months). I don't know why, but I think about it all the time. No one has really mentioned it and we've never talked about it, but I feel insecure about the age difference. Am I overreacting? I don't know if I should tell him how I feel about it. I love him but sometimes he just seems so YOUNG. I don't know...

ReputationRep:
    its not long really, in a few years it'll seem like nothing.
    if youre at the same stage in life then its not really a big deal.
    tell him how you feel, it cant do any harm

ReputationRep:
    A year and a half is nothing to worry about. I know lads that have gone out with lasses 4+ years older at that age.

ReputationRep:
    It's really no biggy, I had a girlfriend that was 18 when I was 16 and neither one of us batted an eyelid. Just forget about it and enjoy your relationship instead of worrying about something so trivial, if it was the other way round, there would be no problem whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure once he becomes 20, instead of 19, you'll feel much better. I think it's just the '19' putting you off.

ReputationRep:
    My GF turned 22 recently. I'm 17. It's fine, between us we don't notice the age difference.

ReputationRep:
    The girl i fancy is 22. I think that's too big a gap for it ever to work out for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    The girl i fancy is 22. I think that's too big a gap for it ever to work out for us.
    Why should it be? How old are you? And does she know you like her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookitsdanhunt)
    Why should it be? How old are you? And does she know you like her?
    I'm 20 but I don't think I'm mature enough to go out with someone over 2 years older than me.

ReputationRep:
    Urrrrrgh you were like 2 years old when he was only being born.....

Of course 2 years gap is fine! Most married people aren't exactly the same age, one or two years really doesn't make a difference!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    I'm 20 but I don't think I'm mature enough to go out with someone over 2 years older than me.
    Im sure at 22 girls still want a bit of fun in a guy. A little immaturity could play off as charming.

Over time you will mature more, but I would just go for it! What have you got to lose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookitsdanhunt)
    Im sure at 22 girls still want a bit of fun in a guy. A little immaturity could play off as charming.

Over time you will mature more, but I would just go for it! What have you got to lose!
    Well she's probably the girl i'm closest to as a freind so I could well loose that. I pretty much bottle it everytime when it comes to relationships so chances are I will again.

ReputationRep:
    1.5 years hardly makes you a cougar dear.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not weird. I just met up with a colleague of mine, whose gf is 6 months older than him. You wouldn't be able to tell: he's over 6'2, she's under 5'5 and looks young for her age.

I think this trend is becomming more common anyway. Wouldn't worry! Just keep on being yourself

ReputationRep:
    Not weird; my boyfriend's nine months younger than me. Another girl I know who turned twenty about a month ago's boyfriend just turned 18. It's about where you are in your life, not what age you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batesie11)
    I'm 21. He's 19. About 1.5 years younger (he'll turn 20 in a few months). I don't know why, but I think about it all the time.

If YOU cant stop thinking about how immature he is, then it obviously isnt working

but JSYK 1.5 years is NOT a lot, at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batesie11)
    I'm 21. He's 19. About 1.5 years younger (he'll turn 20 in a few months). I don't know why, but I think about it all the time. No one has really mentioned it and we've never talked about it, but I feel insecure about the age difference. Am I overreacting? I don't know if I should tell him how I feel about it. I love him but sometimes he just seems so YOUNG. I don't know...
    As long as you are equal in mental maturity there should not be a problem; I'm 19 and I've been with my 21 year old girlfriend for over a year now.

ReputationRep:
    It's very common and shouldn't be anything to worry about! My boyfriend turns 19 in April and I turned 20 in December so it's about 1 year 5 months difference. We've been together over 2 years and at the start I used to hate the age difference and it would really bug me, but after so long with each other, I realised that no one judges our relationship by age, they see how happy we are together and that's enough I should think!

As long as you're both the same maturity level and it feels right for BOTH of you, then you should relax and go with it! It's your happiness, not anyone elses!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 24 this year, my boyfriend's coming up to 21. Three year age gap.

A year and a half is nothing. Three years is nothing tbh.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is 2 years and 8 months younger than me. I don't think about the age gap because it isn't an issue for us. It seems like your age gap is an issue for you, if you can't accept him for who he is then maybe you shouldn't be with him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.