Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello folks!

I am a journalist from India and need some urgent help and advice. I am thinking of applying for the taught master's degree in Anthropology at Sussex. I liked the course content as it is exhaustive and there is an extra emphasis on development issues which is exactly what I am looking for.

However, I can see that Sussex fares badly at most University league tables and the anthropology department was ranked 12 in the recent Guardian survey.

Can someone please tell me if Sussex is a good place to go for a PG in Anthro. If there are students from the current anthro batch around, please guide me...

Thanks,
    Vidya.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Sussex is ranked above Manchester on Guardian's website (for Anthropology).

Why Sussex anyway?

ReputationRep:
    "We are one of the largest Departments of socio-cultural anthropology in the UK, and were ranked 5th among socio-cultural anthropology Departments in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise."

I'm doing BA Anthropology I love the course. Enthusiastic lecturers, interesting course content, great support and structure. From what I understand, the Anthropology department here is well respected and amongst the best in the country. I wouldn't form your opinion based on the Guardian survey!

ReputationRep:
    Sussex have a very good development studies department (particularly at postgrad) which filters through into their anthropology department. They're certainly one of the better universities for anthropology in the UK from my perspective - other good ones being LSE, Durham, UCL, Oxbridge, Edinburgh, Manchester (in no particular order there). Obviously though at postgrad it depends much more on where you're interested in and where your academic focus lies - can you study the areas you're interested in at Sussex and what is the department like in terms of research? Do you share their research emphasis etc? These are things you have to consider at postgrad because you need to go somewhere which is strong in your areas of study.

For example at Edinburgh (I study anthropology here) the strenghts are in South Asia and Sub Saharan Africa in terms of where they're really interested in, we don't really look at Amazonia at all, whereas at other universities you would do.

Where else are you considering?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.