Turn on thread page Beta

I get random chest/throat pains in the night. watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm sitting up at 6:30 AM instead of sleeping in my nice warm bed - didn't have to get up untill 10 today as well :mad:

Ever since I can remember I've had this thing (for lack of a better term) where every five or six weeks I'll wake up in the middle of the night with hot pains in my chest that feel like they're rising up into my throat. It's a horrible, painful sensation which is hard to describe.

The roof of my mouth will go all flemmy, and my mouth produces alot of saliva, meaning I have to swallow alot which seems to make the pain rise again. After about 30 minutes of this, with the pain getting worse and worse untill at times I'm actually writhing about in agony, I start to produce lots more saliva, which tastes sweet. It's at this point I almost throw up, although I never can. What's weird as well, is that throughout all this I can't pass up gass at all, even if I feel the need to burp.

The whole thing last about an hour, and generally happens every five or six weeks, usually in the night, but it has started in the days as well. I've gone to a doctor, but he wasn't able to do anything without me actually having the ailment when I was there. Gaviscon tablets taken on the off before bed, when it's turned out to happen proved useless, as did taken them while it was happening.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Like I said, when it's at its worst, it's excruciating, not to mention disruptive if I have exams or anything else important the following day.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like acid reflux.. do you eat before bed or go to bed hungry? try having a warm milky drink before you try and sleep!

ReputationRep:
    I was told it might be acid reflux, but there seems to be no correlation between what/when I eat and when it happens. I've left it 4/5 hours before eating anything before bed and have still had it that night.

ReputationRep:
    It probably is acid reflux, there are many medications for it if its annoying you.

Avoid coffee and alcohol before bed, and high fat foods. I would not recommend milk before bed. Milky and fatty drinks will make it worse. If you do wish to drink milky drinks, then skimmed milk could help, but full fat milk will make it worse.

ReputationRep:
    Heartburn/Acid Reflux.

1) No food 3 hours before sleep and no water 2 hours before.

2)Elevate your head when you are sleeping, so put an extra pillow under your head.

3) Don't wear tight trousers as that may cause problems.

Are you taking any medication at the moment?

(Original post by tlozoot)
    I was told it might be acid reflux, but there seems to be no correlation between what/when I eat and when it happens. I've left it 4/5 hours before eating anything before bed and have still had it that night.
    I used to get the same. Utter torture. Then got so bad that if I ha d anything acidic in the day (fruit juice for instance) it would happen - even standing up.
    Then i discovered Omeprazole. And now life is good again.

ReputationRep:
    Have it again right now. Like I said before, what I've eaten appears to have no bearing on what I've got right now. I ate soup with bread for lunch at around 2pm, and then some mild curry with rice at about 7pm. I went to bed at 2am. I ate nothing before bed.

(Original post by Jamie)
    I used to get the same. Utter torture. Then got so bad that if I ha d anything acidic in the day (fruit juice for instance) it would happen - even standing up.
    Then i discovered Omeprazole. And now life is good again.

Is that prescription only?

Are u shur ur not bein **********ed?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.