Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some courses may be a waste of time and they should not be, but surely the students who take these courses know what they are signing on to, it is afterall their choice. If they complain after that the qualification is useless then it is their fault, but it iis also the fault of the school/governemnt for encouraging such courses, after all education is not for all, (although everyone should be given the chance)-not everyone can be a professor of physics at oxford...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Surely the answer is to make harder those A-levels that are perceived as soft?
    Some subjects are inherently soft and intellectually lacking.

Media studies for example is a shallow subject because those that have an interest in it need to study anthropology, psychology, sociology or literature instead. Media studies is too superficial and if you tried to study it in any depth, you end up studying one of the above anyway.

There is no point doing shallow subjects at degree or A level because both qualifications are for those that have a deeper understanding of the subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plonplon)
    Some courses may be a waste of time and they should not be, but surely the students who take these courses know what they are signing on to, it is afterall their choice. If they complain after that the qualification is useless then it is their fault, but it iis also the fault of the school/governemnt for encouraging such courses, after all education is not for all, (although everyone should be given the chance)-not everyone can be a professor of physics at oxford...
    I agree some soft subjects should be removed from A level and degree syllabuses. Its just making up the numbers and massaging statistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I agree some soft subjects should be removed from A level and degree syllabuses. Its just making up the numbers and massaging statistics.
    How do you decide which?

Massaging the stats how? They are pulling down the number of people passing/getting As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Some subjects are inherently soft and intellectually lacking.

Media studies for example is a shallow subject because those that have an interest in it need to study anthropology, psychology, sociology or literature instead. Media studies is too superficial and if you tried to study it in any depth, you end up studying one of the above anyway.

There is no point doing shallow subjects at degree or A level because both qualifications are for those that have a deeper understanding of the subjects.
    So English Language goes too?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as i mentioned just yesterday in another thread i work as a mentor in local schools, and the vast majority of kids are being pushed into doing 'soft' subjects at university and being conned into thinking these subjects have any merit.

It's the fault of our glorious Labour Government trying to make the statistics out to look like they are good getting kids into university when really there just saddling hundreds of people with huge debts and worthless qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    How do you decide which?

Massaging the stats how? They are pulling down the number of people passing/getting As.
    I would suggest using some reasoning and logic to deduce the answer to your question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So English Language goes too?
    I would suggest using some common sense to answer your own question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I would suggest using some common sense to answer your own question
    Yes, good.

ReputationRep:
    Whoever gets into power really should put an emphasis on the importance of engineering and the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meowmeowmutiny)
    Whoever gets into power really should put an emphasis on the importance of engineering and the sciences.
    You genuinely think that people don't realise the importance of such subjects?

ReputationRep:
    So A Level human biology and and engineering should be promoted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    You genuinely think that people don't realise the importance of such subjects?
    Nope.

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonl...ure_32_p11.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

http://www.nationalgrid.com/NR/rdonl...ure_32_p11.pdf
    Why the link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So A Level human biology and and engineering should be promoted?
    I'd prefer it if hard sciences and engineering were widely thought of as worth the effort, highly regarded and very important to society and humanity in general nya~

ReputationRep:
    Why the link?
    I remember being shown the report on how a lot of people don't understand what engineering really is and its importance while working at Nat Grid and couldn't think of any others :P

ReputationRep:
    I remember being shown the report on how a lot of people don't understand what engineering really is and its importance while working at Nat Grid and couldn't think of any others :P
    I see :yep:

Personally, I think most people do understand the importance of engineering and the core sciences, but that doesn't make them enjoyable. Surely more needs to be done to make them more popular? More vocational courses, for instance?

ReputationRep:
    I see :yep:

Personally, I think most people do understand the importance of engineering and the core sciences, but that doesn't make them enjoyable. Surely more needs to be done to make them more popular? More vocational courses, for instance?
    Hmm. Perhaps more should be done to connect our amazement at our technology with the work of the engineers. I find it shocking that people think engineering is some sort of blue collar work >_<

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer it if hard sciences and engineering were widely thought of as worth the effort, highly regarded and very important to society and humanity in general nya~
    I'd prefer it if my poo smelt of lavender but its just not true :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I'd prefer it if my poo smelt of lavender but its just not true :P
    I'll be honest, I don't think poetry will help feed the poor, curing the weak, improving our lives.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.