Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"soft" subjects conning poor students watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    By the time a kid is 16 they should be able to plan their future; especially if they want to go to uni.
    plan their future? are you having an absolute joke? :eyeball: :rofl:

my dad is 54 and still has no idea as to what he really wants to do! how can you ever expect a 16 year old to plan their future when they are being badgered down set routes - whether its maths, science or media studies?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliver5084)
    And if there not allowed to study 'hard' subjects by there school its probably for the best as they are not academically able enough to be successful on those courses...
    Thats a tad unfair, quite often the entry standard is raised as there is a lack of teaching resource and/or the school wants to promote that it has a high proportion of As in say Maths which they can do by restricting the entry.

At uni all the places I looked at advertised their 2.1+ rate for people on the masters, however if you didn't get an arbitary 55% after the secon year you weren't allowed to do the masters. Doesn't mean you weren't good enough to do it just because you got 54.3% though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Apparently, poor but able students are being conned into doing "soft" subjects like media studies while students in private schools are encouraged to do "hard" subjects like sciences and foriegn languages and go to "good" unis according to the headmaster of Harrow School. Poor students are ending up with useless qualifications.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...qualifications

Are poor students being conned?
    I agree with richer students being pushed to do 'hard' subjects (or, that is, students who are at a well-to-do school/college that are pushed to do harder subjects).

I wouldn't say that poorer students are pushed to do 'softer' subjects; in fact its pretty safe to say an average student isn't pushed to do anything per se; its just that much poorer schools do not have the facilities to give students a 'leg-up' to more prestigious unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)

my dad is 54 and still has no idea as to what he really wants to do! how can you ever expect a 16 year old to plan their future when they are being badgered down set routes - whether its maths, science or media studies?!
    Has your dad been upset his entire life? If not he was doing what he roughly wanted and he has just got bored of his previous ideals/aims.

Check my other post for a clarification, plan wasn't the right word to use. I mean they should know what general area they wanted to go into and know to go into that area they could do alevels in that area. It's common sense, you know before GCSE if your better than maths or english for example.

ReputationRep:

They didn't exactly mean that.

I did A Levels even though I could have done a GNVQ as I knew a GNVQ limited my future prospects. If someone doesn't realise that General Studies, ICT and Business Studies as a combination would do the same is a fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    Has your dad been upset his entire life? If not he was doing what he roughly wanted and he has just got bored of his previous ideals/aims.

Check my other post for a clarification, plan wasn't the right word to use. I mean they should know what general area they wanted to go into and know to go into that area they could do alevels in that area. It's common sense, you know before GCSE if your better than maths or english for example.

They do know what area they roughly want to go into, nine times out of ten... i would know, i finished college in 2009.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at university and still not 100% sure of what I want to do in the future! At the end of the day, I know I will make the right decisions. I'm working hard to acheive my degree at the highest level I can.

Who knows I might end up working in a very low paid job, but if thats what I want to do at the time, so be it. Can't be bothered with taking things too seriously at this early stage in my life.

Life is for living!

ReputationRep:
    All soft subjects should be banned entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    All soft subjects should be banned entirely.
    yawn

And how would you be defining that then?

ReputationRep:
    I took Media Studies. (as well as Chemistry, History and English lit). I didn't chose it because it was easy or soft or whatever, i chose it because i like it. Im generaly interested in advertisment, creating magazines, etc. I know alot of you people chose subjects because you want to sound intelligent and want to do hard subjects in uni. But i think it's more important to chose subjects that you would actualy enjoy in the future. I also know that alot of people on here look down on the less academic intelligent people who prefer to be a bit creative, but i think that's pretty ridiculous. People who study constantly and are extremely academic can be a bit boring. Personaly, i'd rather hang out with people who are more relaxed, and have midly interesting intrests, rather than a stuck up idiot who looks down on anyone who doesn't do maths. Of course, not all people who do more academic subjects are prats, but those who look down on others because they chose more creative and 'softer' subjects are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    yawn

And how would you be defining that then?
    Traditional subjects, you can learn doss alevels in about a week of working, they are an absolute waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I'd say students both rich and poor are being conned tbh.

No teacher ever told me at school that certain subjects like Business Studies, Media Studies are looked down upon by some universities, and I went to a private school.
    no offence mate, but i think if you're 15,16.. you're intelligent enough to go research your future, we all have careers sessions at school from a young age and also the internet has so much information... i think the blame is more on lazy students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    Of course, not all people who do more academic subjects are prats, but those who look down on others because they chose more creative and 'softer' subjects are.
    Are you equating creative and softer?

I wouldn't say general studies or ICT are creative...

ReputationRep:
    I particularly agree with the comments in that article from the shadow education secretary as to why media studies has suddenly become popular. The state schools have to be more concerned now about hitting targets than actually providing a good education, and as such the whole thing falls down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Are you equating creative and softer?

I wouldn't say general studies or ICT are creative...
    ICT isn't soft. You have to take maths at A level to do it....
    And yeah, i guess i am. (General studies doesn't class as a real subject). On here, the subjects people class as soft are Media, Performing Arts, Textiles, Art, Photography etc. And they are fairly creative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Traditional subjects, you can learn doss alevels in about a week of working, they are an absolute waste of time.
    So Human Biology goes as its non traditional?

ReputationRep:
    I walked past Harrow boys twice a day during college but still ended up in a top top uni, yet at the same time the college were perfectly happy for me to do media with politics at a rubbish uni until I changed my mind.

ReputationRep:
    They do know what area they roughly want to go into, nine times out of ten... i would know, i finished college in 2009.
    That was my point to start with. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    I took Media Studies. (as well as Chemistry, History and English lit). I didn't chose it because it was easy or soft or whatever, i chose it because i like it. Im generaly interested in advertisment, creating magazines, etc. I know alot of you people chose subjects because you want to sound intelligent and want to do hard subjects in uni. But i think it's more important to chose subjects that you would actualy enjoy in the future. I also know that alot of people on here look down on the less academic intelligent people who prefer to be a bit creative, but i think that's pretty ridiculous. People who study constantly and are extremely academic can be a bit boring. Personaly, i'd rather hang out with people who are more relaxed, and have midly interesting intrests, rather than a stuck up idiot who looks down on anyone who doesn't do maths. Of course, not all people who do more academic subjects are prats, but those who look down on others because they chose more creative and 'softer' subjects are.
    so everyone who does maths and hard subjects cant be interesting? or in anything creative, iv done 4 hard subjects so to speak... but i have alot of interest in art... tbh unless you're some uber clever super geek, levels of academia doesnt have much to do with personality

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of students in this country aren't going to end up in a top 10 uni where things like media studies aren't counted. There are 110+ universities in the UK and not everyone aspires to end up at Oxbridge suffice to say thus for many media studies is more than adequate to end up on a course where they want to go.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.