Turn on thread page Beta

"soft" subjects conning poor students watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So an A Level in Further Maths should be as difficult as an A Level in Maths? Doesn't that kinda defeat the point of it?
    Obviously not in that situation, but every other subject should be on par.

ReputationRep:
    yeahhh do what you want to do then you'll always get the best grades, it can help to have a 'supporting' subject so if you want to do a science at uni another is helpful. They say for english you should do history but my uni's didn't seem to mind.
    Go with what you'll be happy doing when it gets a little tougher Anyway, my ox int seemed driven on passion and enthusiasm even when my knowledge was limited to say the least..so it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliver5084)
    What a load of ****...

How can you blame other people for your subject choices...

And if there not allowed to study 'hard' subjects by there school its probably for the best as they are not academically able enough to be successful on those courses...

This is just another example of people being jealous of successful students...... ! :mad:
    err, at my school they strongly encouraged people not to do physics because it was a hard subject only about a handful of people ended up studying it and there is only 1 physics teacher for ther whole school including 6th form and years 7-11.
    The number of people doing a foreign language is about 3,
    maths and the sciences combined is about a quarter of those doing sociology. All in all i would say at my school the number of people doing either or a combination of business studies, sociology, photography and psycology totals 95% and quite a few of these are intelligent students just guided down the wrong route by the school who wants to be able to write down higher grades

ReputationRep:
    Im 15 to turn 16 in junes and my school dont conn people i go to an comprehensive and i know exactly what i wangt to do i make sure i do the credible subjects and have done this even when picking my gcse... 16 year old should be checking what there future outcome will be in the future its not that hard it takes about 15 mintues to check what is credible and u can go to university with 3 'hard' subject s and 1 'soft' subject and everyone is made aware of their choices

ReputationRep:
    Well, having league tables and mangerialist stances on further education, and, indeed, higher education, don't help.

ReputationRep:
    Can't recall being particularly encouraged or discouraged as to my subject choices at sixth form - if anything I think what put some off more "difficult" subjects was the reputation from other students finding them difficult/failing etc.

I will admit making one quite flippant decision , I was planning on doing AS Graphic Design for a long time but then shortly after my GCSE results I read about the Oxbridge less favoured list and then decided doing Chemistry would be a better idea.Not that I regret it much , I suspect Graphics might have been easier but needed quite a bit more in terms of actual work than Chemistry which may have caused issues with my Maths and Further Maths (sat 5 modules in lower sixth).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    People should be able to do their own research to find out what's best for them and what their universities of choice expect. If they can't, something is VERY wrong with the very fact that they're intending to continue education.
    As I added above, no school teacher is going to know what's best for you. YOU should know that, and you should use a wide variety of sources to find it out.
    Given that you don't make university choices until your second year of college, I don't think it's fair to suggest everyone should be doing their research straight after GCSEs. Besides, a lot of people change their minds during the course of college anyway, I know I did, although I didn't have the capacity to choose from many subjects at decent universities due to the A levels that were advised (or rather disadvised) for me. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with entering A levels without a clue of what you want to do afterwards. It should be the responsibility of teachers and sixth form staff to make sure students know the values of different subjects before they make their A level choices. It should be the teachers teaching kids which subjects will benefit them when it comes to applying for universities; it is their job to provide an education, not go about any means to raise the status and rank of the school.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think people should be stopped from doing soft subjects, but my college doesnt offer enough guidance or advice, and many people do them. the college only cares about getting pass rates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Obviously not in that situation, but every other subject should be on par.
    But, History surely can't ever be 'as hard' as Sports Science. Its just an impossible thing to measure.

(Original post by cpj1987)
    People should be able to do their own research to find out what's best for them and what their universities of choice expect. If they can't, something is VERY wrong with the very fact that they're intending to continue education.
    I think it is unfair to say that a 16 year old choosing A-levels should research particular universities let alone specific courses. I remember that the advice I was given at that age is that "it's too early to be thinking about university".

For this reason, the school needs to have guidelines in place which make it clear that hard and soft A-levels exist and that if you wish to apply to an elite university you should not do the soft ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THRASHx)
    My exam wasnt anything to do with the recession but theirs was all about Blu-Ray players. That or they spent 3 hours revising one part of the exam; Blue-Ray players.
    Yeah you're missing the point there.

Could you explain the rise and fall of HD?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 46Bit)
    To be frank, this is plain and simple government policy. 'Improving grades' is not in any way shape or form intended for the good of the country - it's so Labour can show off whilst flushing the country's future down the *******.
    So the previous Tory Govts didn't have the same agenda?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So the previous Tory Govts didn't have the same agenda?
    The whole point of most people in Government is to serve their own interests. Just because a previous party did something doesn't mean the incumbents must just be ignored. The whole point of getting another party in is to get Labour out - realistically they're all ~ as bad as each other, the only advantage of the Tories is that they won't be quite as cocky as the current Labour dictatorship for a little while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 46Bit)
    The whole point of most people in Government is to serve their own interests. Just because a previous party did something doesn't mean the incumbents must just be ignored. The whole point of getting another party in is to get Labour out - realistically they're all ~ as bad as each other, the only advantage of the Tories is that they won't be quite as cocky as the current Labour dictatorship for a little while.
    Don't disagree, but just because something kept happening doesn't mean the previous administrations should be ignored either.

Personally I think they will be more cocky, as they will have more of a dictatorship than the current 70ish majority Labour has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THRASHx)
    I had an economics exam at the same time as the media studies people had one. Before the exam I was revising some topics from economics, they were revising Sony Blu-Ray players because thats what their exam was about.
    I did this Media exam and granted, it was about Blu Ray and Sony but we didn't find that out untill we got into the exam. The only thing we were told before the exam that it was going to be a moving image text - meaning that it could be virtually anything shown on a TV.

If they were studying Sony Blu-Ray before the exam then they were really lucky to have picked such a narrow topic area to revise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Don't disagree, but just because something kept happening doesn't mean the previous administrations should be ignored either.

Personally I think they will be more cocky, as they will have more of a dictatorship than the current 70ish majority Labour has.
    Whilst Polls as I see it more influence than actually show the current state of affairs, as far as I know the entire way democracy in this country messes with their actual vote means any majority is likely to be smaller than that, not a lot larger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    By the time a kid is 16 they should be able to plan their future; especially if they want to go to uni.
    when i was 16 i had no idea what i wanted to do, and i still have no idea, its not a problem though, i just picked courses at uni which look interesting and have good employment prospects.

also what does rich and poor have to do with what subjects someone chooses? and it seems clear to be that if a subject isn't offered at gcse then its not classed as 'academic'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helcas)
    when i was 16 i had no idea what i wanted to do, and i still have no idea, its not a problem though, i just picked courses at uni which look interesting and have good employment prospects.

also what does rich and poor have to do with what subjects someone chooses? and it seems clear to be that if a subject isn't offered at gcse then its not classed as 'academic'
    So Sports Science is academic because its offered as a GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 46Bit)
    Whilst Polls as I see it more influence than actually show the current state of affairs, as far as I know the entire way democracy in this country messes with their actual vote means any majority is likely to be smaller than that, not a lot larger.
    Thatcher has a 102 majority in '87, following 144 in '83 why can't Cameroon beat 70?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So Sports Science is academic because its offered as a GCSE?
    It is academic: you need a pen in the exam to pass. Brains not necessary.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.