Turn on thread page Beta

Compulsions taking over my life watch

Please keep anon or delete

About 4 years ago, I started to get into the whole excessive handwashing routine, so thinking I could be getting OCD I was sent to a counsellor, who told me that as it wasn't severe and taking over my life, plus some other factors meant instead I was diagnoses with Generalised Anxiety Disorder.

Living with GAD was hard enough, but lately I've been getting awful compulsions. They started about 2 years ago, but not severely. Now however, they really are taking over everything. I have to fulfil them, otherwise I can't think about anything else until I do. It takes me about an hour to do what I need to do sometimes, especially before I go to bed, so it's damaging my sleep-health. And I'm afraid if I don't complete them then something bad will happen, so anxiety is now being combined with fear and paranoia and I'm really struggling with it all, it's even made me pretty depressed.

I don't know what to do. Couselling doesn't seem to have worked for me in the past and it's all getting on top of me now.

*Bump*

ReputationRep:
    go back to the dr.

i know you've had a bad experience with counselling before and it's rubbish when you're not taken seriously but you deserve the appropriate attention/help. it obviously is a serious problem as it's got worse and was resistant to counselling, so it's definitely something that needs tackling before it gets even further down the line. if anxiety is the main issue (or the trigger) then they may be able to give you some medication that could help - only if you're open to that of course - or if not then there may be a better suited therapy for you.

sorry to hear you've had such a tough time of it, feel free to PM me if you ever just need to vent/chat. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    ha nothing with a bit of OCD, i wash my hands everytime i stroke my dog and rinse my glass with water several times before using it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.