Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just received my IGCSE result and they are 4A*s (Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology), 2 A's(English and ICT) and 1 B (German). Now, I want to apply for medicine in UK. I just wanted to know if these grades are acceptable and good enough for top universities like cambridge, oxford and imperial... or should I retake some subjects ..

ReputationRep:
    Your grades look great to me. I took IGCSE rather than GCSE in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

The B in German isn't a proplem as it isn't a core subject. I think that you will be great!

Also, universities seem to realise that the IGCSEs are generally accepted as harder than standard GCSEs, as they cover signifant amounts of the A level course, especially Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    what is an IGCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    what is an IGCSE?
    It is an international GCSE. Generally accepted a little harder than ordinary GCSE because it includes some of Unit one of AS.

My school do them because we have an award for being an international school (we have lots of links with schools abroad and lots of "international' themes in the teaching.)

ReputationRep:
    It'll be a problem for Oxford, because of their shortlisting method.

Imperial: should be fine.

I don't know about Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_surrender)
    I just received my IGCSE result and they are 4A*s (Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology), 2 A's(English and ICT) and 1 B (German). Now, I want to apply for medicine in UK. I just wanted to know if these grades are acceptable and good enough for top universities like cambridge, oxford and imperial... or should I retake some subjects ..
    I'm pretty sure at the moment Universities consider IGCSE as identical to GCSE (even though their is a bit of discrepancy in difficulty). ( I did Bio,Chem,Phys and maths IGCSE and the rest normal)

Doing well on the BMAT would probably be the most important thing here although you would have to do very well in it if you apply to oxford because of their short listing system.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.