Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone did this paper? How did you find it? I thought question 5 and 6 were well hard - 5 was drawing the graph and stuff. Six was the velocity(differentiation question). I couldn't do part (ii)- gay!

Ah, well could have been better!!!
    I want to check the answers too if anyone remembers.. So I have a rough idea

Overall, the paper wasn't bad tho!

ReputationRep:
    It was certainly challenging in each m1 area. I messed up the overtaking business and the pulley system. I even had coefficent of friction as 1.2 ish so basically it was screwed up!

ReputationRep:
    27 marks for the last page and I wasn't sure about the 9 mark question

ReputationRep:
    Yeah me too. It wasn't that bad tho... Did you do the graph sketching- the question part (ii) number 5

ReputationRep:
    I had coeff as 1.7, **** was wack. Hardesdt M1 paper in the history of mechanics. FML.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcp2)
    I had coeff as 1.7, **** was wack. Hardesdt M1 paper in the history of mechanics. FML.
    same ish i think. I just didnt get it lol. Ive done m2 as well so thought i mgt b ok. Lost around 16 marks me thinks at best. I really wanted a high A lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will1692)
    same ish i think. I just didnt get it lol. Ive done m2 as well so thought i mgt b ok. Lost around 16 marks me thinks at best. I really wanted a high A lol
    The 9 mark question, what time did you get? I got 9.50s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcp2)
    I dont remember exactly, but i think it was 9. something. i did suvat going upwards which was .something, then acceleration was positive going down as same forces became the driving forces, said u=0, solved s from going upwards, then said u=0, s=10+ distance upwards a =0.315, then solved for t, then added together, hope its correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcp2)
    think I got the same.

Overall not a bad paper I think. Was fine with the last 2 questions. Main problem was with question 4, the pulley system question - I too got coefficient of friction as 1.7 so messed up there!

Finding time when B overtook A was also very hard, found t to be 26.7 seconds?

ReputationRep:
    Much harder than all the mocks right? with 6 i had no idea so i just halved the time and assumed she'd be slowest at half way(when she turned round) and that worked.. not sure i'll get all the marks though :P also got a coefficiant of friction of 1.7, so did a lot of people, could it be right? And finally on the 9 marker, I worked it all out correctly but forgot to add that like third of a second more it took while still travelling up the plane was SO pissed, realising 20 seconds after they took the paper away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by owen4567)
    think I got the same.

I got this also, took me a while though

ReputationRep:
    think I got the same.

Overall not a bad paper I think. Was fine with the last 2 questions. Main problem was with question 4, the pulley system question - I too got coefficient of friction as 1.7 so messed up there!

Yep I got 26.7 too. Apparently, according to wikipedia, the coefficient can go over 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry-AA)
    Much harder than all the mocks right? with 6 i had no idea so i just halved the time and assumed she'd be slowest at half way(when she turned round) and that worked.. not sure i'll get all the marks though :P also got a coefficiant of friction of 1.7, so did a lot of people, could it be right? And finally on the 9 marker, I worked it all out correctly but forgot to add that like third of a second more it took while still travelling up the plane was SO pissed, realising 20 seconds after they took the paper away!
    minimum point of velocity was when dv/dt = 0? so basically when a = 0?

Then I found t with the equation of a = 0.

Then to find length of the pool, i substituted t for the time taken to swim to the other end and back, which gave 30m. To find length of pool I divided this by 2...so length of pool = 15m. Did anyone else do this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcp2)
    Yep I got 26.7 too. Apparently, according to wikipedia, the coefficient can go over 1.
    really? Thought it had to be between 0 and 1. Thinking about it driving home though, the hanging particle had a lower mass, so would tension need to be taken into account?

Im fine with pulley or slope questions, but throw them together and I get very confused!

ReputationRep:
    Mate the question says "C swims from one end ot the other in 28.4s" Why did you divide by 2?

ReputationRep:

Then to find length of the pool, i substituted t for the time taken to swim to the other end and back, which gave 30m. To find length of pool I divided this by 2...so length of pool = 15m. Did anyone else do this?

yeah I cocked that one up haha, but might get answer marks?

and for the length, 5 of us took the exam, two(including me) got 50m when subsituting in t, one got 100m because they didn't divide by 2 and one got 15m like you, but...thats a really short pool but I don't know the actual answer

ReputationRep:
    cause C went from one end of the pool and back again took 28.4s
    so one end took 14.2....thats what i did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcp2)
    Mate the question says "C swims from one end ot the other in 28.4s" Why did you divide by 2?
    Damn i must have misread the question! ARrghhh, should only lose one mark though?

ReputationRep:
    Well that was OK, although I felt some of the questions were really poorly written. For example two horizontal forces with angle 60° between them - they can't both be horizontal in that case - it should have said in the same horizontal plain or something.

(Original post by mcp2)
    Yeah same, 26.7s is what I got too.

As for the coefficient of friction, I got sqrt(3) = 1.71. I took tension into account, but either we all made mistakes or the question was wrong. In what situations could μ be greater than 1?

Yeah the first bit is right. Did it say the time to go to the other end and back?? If so I didn't read it properly so I put 30m.

I got 9.50s for the last question, took a bit of working out though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry-AA)
    yeah I cocked that one up haha, but might get answer marks?

and for the length, 5 of us took the exam, two(including me) got 50m when subsituting in t, one got 100m because they didn't divide by 2 and one got 15m like you, but...thats a really short pool but I don't know the actual answer
    so you too divided by 2? SO the question did say that he swam to the other end and back?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.