Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Awefully strange paper, I did well though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by oatmeal118)
    what did you think of the paper Mr M
    I have done so many of these now that I seem to have lost the ability to compare them. It seemed about standard difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say above standard difficulty. Well above, however, I will say one thing. That 9 mark question has only been worth 6 max in previous papers.

ReputationRep:
    If someone could upload the paper that would be very helpful! Looking at Mr M's answers I can't remember what the question was and am struggling to think what answers I got. Looking at the questions might remind me. Although I do seem to remember getting 25 seconds on 5 ii).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mrdude)
    I initially had the co-efficient of friction as 1.7 like others said, but thought it was impossible because it has to between 0 and 1
    Have you have started M2? The coefficient of restitution in M2 does have to be between 0 and 1 (unless you are adding energy such as in an explosion) but the coefficient of friction can be greater than one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Have you have started M2? The coefficient of restitution in M2 does have to be between 0 and 1 (unless you are adding energy such as in an explosion) but the coefficient of friction can be greater than one.
    No I'm not doing M2 (thankfully!), I just assumed it had to be between 0 and 1 as that is what all the answers have been in past papers - even in questions where you are given µ it was always between 0 and 1. Annoying though, because I put 1.7 and then crossed all that working out. Oh well, may still get 1 or 2 marks and maybe 1 for writing F= µR in the second part of the question. So not too bad. Overall, I reckon I'm on the A/B boundary, which I'm pleased with because I'm re-sitting this after getting a C in the summer

ReputationRep:
    Anybody want to take a crack at guessing the grade boundaries, I'm thinking 53 maybe.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No I'm not doing M2 (thankfully!), I just assumed it had to be between 0 and 1 as that is what all the answers have been in past papers - even in questions where you are given µ it was always between 0 and 1. Annoying though, because I put 1.7 and then crossed all that working out. Oh well, may still get 1 or 2 marks and maybe 1 for writing F= µR in the second part of the question. So not too bad. Overall, I reckon I'm on the A/B boundary, which I'm pleased with because I'm re-sitting this after getting a C in the summer
    If your working is readable, they will still mark it even if it is crossed out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    If your working is readable, they will still mark it even if it is crossed out.
    Eek, I think I crossed it out pretty vigorously out of frustration! Oh well, only a few marks gone. Thankfully I got the 9 marker right, and most others too.

(Original post by mcp2)
    Anybody want to take a crack at guessing the grade boundaries, I'm thinking 53 maybe.
    I doubt it'd be that low, M1 generally has high grade boundaries. I'd say something more like 58.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will1692)
    Did anyone do C3 as well? You must be loving OCR right now lol
    Don't make me rant about the C3 paper anymore :P

They seem to be just rewording questions in obscure ways to confuse candidates? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it'd be that low, M1 generally has high grade boundaries. I'd say something more like 58.
    You think? Jan boundaries are usually lower than June and this paper was harder than past ones. OK, Maybe not 53, but not 58 either! 55, it could be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh-H)
    Don't make me rant about the C3 paper anymore :P

They seem to be just rewording questions in obscure ways to confuse candidates? :rolleyes:
    It's probably to do with the introducion of the A*. Don't want everybody getting A*'s when they first are available or it undermines the whole point of them. So made the paper harder this year. That's my guess anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably to do with the introducion of the A*. Don't want everybody getting A*'s when they first are available or it undermines the whole point of them. So made the paper harder this year. That's my guess anyway.
    But if we all did poorer than usual, won't the grade boundaries get lowered anyway?

ReputationRep:
    I got coefficient as 1.7 something. The two horizontal forces at 60 degrees from each other confused me for a bit too. T was 4. something and the time i got was 26 2/3 s Overall time at the end for 9 marker I got as 50 something too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    OCR (not OCR MEI) answers January 2010

All non-exact answer given to 3 s.f.

1. (i) Speed of P at ground = 18.9 m/s (2 marks)

(ii) Height = 17.3 m (2 marks)

(iii) Speed of P when 5 m above ground = 16.1 m/s (2 marks)

2. (i) Magnitude of resultant = 27.1 N (5 marks)

(ii) Angle = 37.4 degrees (3 marks)

3. (i) m = 0.096 kg (4 marks)

(ii) Change in momentum = 1.2 Ns (2 marks)

(iii) Common speed = 3.25 m/s (3 marks)

4. (i) (a) R perpendicular = 0.49 N

R parallel = 0.849 N (4 marks)

(b) Coefficient of friction = 1.73 (2 marks)

(ii) T = 4.36 N a = 1.09 m/s² (4 marks)

5. (i) t = 12.5 seconds (3 marks)

(ii) t = 26.7 s (5 marks)

(iii) Sketch graph (3 marks)

6. (i) a = 0.012t - 0.18 (2 marks)

(ii) Show k = 2 (5 marks)

(iii) x = 0.002t³ - 0.09t² + 2t

x = 30.0 m (5 marks)

7. (i) T = 1960 N (5 marks)

(ii) (a) Show 3.15 (2 marks)

(b) t = 9.50 seconds (9 marks)

Edit: question 7 fixed.
    Looks like I may have got full marks. When you had to integrate I added a constant but then thought there cannot have been one on question 6.

ReputationRep:
    Dammit. I failed so badly. I just couldnt think straight after question 4 because I realised I was running out of time. I think from then on I may have only got a couple right which is really depressing. Seriously didnt want to retake but Im going to have to, definitely got lower than a C. Everyone else in my class found it really hard to, are we like seriously retarded or something.

ReputationRep:
    I thought they were making the C3 and C4 papers harder for the A* not the rest?

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the coefficient of friction question. Every time I attempted it I got a value above 1. This was however, taking the tension of the pulley into account, as I was under the impression that it always has to be between 0 and 1 I returned to the question and took the wording to mean that T was unimportant as it was addressed in the last part.
    This resulted in obtaining a ~0.47 coefficient.
    Time obtained at overtaking of the runners was 26.7s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcp2)
    I thought they were making the C3 and C4 papers harder for the A* not the rest?
    Yeah, I only meant that to do with C3. It's not relevant to M1.

(Original post by Josh-H)
    But if we all did poorer than usual, won't the grade boundaries get lowered anyway?
    There will always be some who get full marks or close, so making the paper harder will just distinguish the gap. I may be wrong, that's just my guess.

Does anybody have today's paper please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)

Will you be paying a visit to the D1 OCR thread today? :ninja: Thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.