Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

For OCR S1 (not MEI), can we use a calculator to work out r and just write the answer down and still get all the marks(if it doesn't specifically say 'show your working')?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    For AQA i did the whole paper on my calc and got 88%. So i presume you can. If it says, whats r then if you give r you'll get full marks, however a small error will mean you get 0 and not half.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just write down the sum you type into the calculator?

ReputationRep:
    I am told that you can do this on OCR.
    We do MEI and our teacher said that on "every other specification" you can just write down the answer.
    But this might have been an exaggeration.

If I were you, I'd write down the values of all of:
    S_{xx}, S_{xy}, S_{yy}, r
    And give the formula for r in terms of the other three as well.
    But that's just me - it might be over-kill, but in any case it will probably be useful when checking your answer

ReputationRep:
    @ Brightgirl - The calculator can solve it without doing any sums, just type the data points in and it does it all for me ( I'm not lazy - I'm efficient - honest lol..)

Placenta and Ste I think I probably will write down the workings/do it manually just to be on the safe side, then use the calculator as a double check. It would be so annoying to press a wrong button, get the wrong value of R and lose all the points.

Thanks all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ste0731)
    For AQA i did the whole paper on my calc and got 88%. So i presume you can. If it says, whats r then if you give r you'll get full marks, however a small error will mean you get 0 and not half.
    That's true - it's all about the working out marks innit :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rather game than revise)
    @ Brightgirl - The calculator can solve it without doing any sums, just type the data points in and it does it all for me ( I'm not lazy - I'm efficient - honest lol..)

Placenta and Ste I think I probably will write down the workings/do it manually just to be on the safe side, then use the calculator as a double check. It would be so annoying to press a wrong button, get the wrong value of R and lose all the points.

Thanks all.
    I think that's sensible.
    Thing is that it will take ages to write all that stuff out!
    Well it does for me anyway, because I write down a figure and then check it, for like every single number I write down.
    But maybe that's just me being over-overcautious :woo:

I like being called placenta too

I seem to remember just using my calculator, that was with WJEC and about 4 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    I to this day, doing stats at uni still don't know how to calculate or what the hell Sxx manually. Only seen the notation, but it looks long and boring xD

Probably why I am going to fail stats tomorrow though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.