Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That paper was a combination of ALL the hard questions from past papers in one big fat mess of a paper

Anyone else with me??

Xxx

ReputationRep:
    Yea, was pretty hard!
    Question4, (finding out co-efficient of friction for a pulley on a slope!) I got a co-efficient of about 1.73.
    I thought that co-efficient of friction is never greater than 1, so I crossed this out and made up some bogus, to get a reasonable answer.
    I've now been told that 1.73 probably is the correct answer bad times!

Other than this question, the paper was okay.
    Will Mr M be posting the answers sometime today??
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Cricket)
    Yea, was pretty hard!
    Question4, (finding out co-efficient of friction for a pulley on a slope!) I got a co-efficient of about 1.73.
    I thought that co-efficient of friction is never greater than 1, so I crossed this out and made up some bogus, to get a reasonable answer.
    I've now been told that 1.73 probably is the correct answer bad times!

Other than this question, the paper was okay.
    Will Mr M be posting the answers sometime today??
    x
    :O 1.73 was correct!?!?!!

Holy moly, I got the exact same and was thinking along the same lines but I hadn't got time to redo it so thought I'd at least get marks for working! My teacher had mentioned before that it can be more than 1 though. Brilliant for me, sorry about you messing that one up in the end.

Overall, it wasn't a nice paper really but I think I did quite well!

One that took some thinking for me was when we were given the minimum velocity and had to realise that was the same as dv/dt = a = 0 and work it out from there.

It could have been an easier paper overall but still, let's hope for low grade boundaries

ReputationRep:
    I got 1.73 but really then through me for the rest of the paper! Does that then mean the first part was just the weight components? Was 4 marks so messed up lol

ReputationRep:
    Please don't tell me the co-efficient of friction was 1.73!? I had that, but also thought it was impossible because it has to between 0 and 1, so I just crossed that all out and ended up coming up with the answer 0.426. I know that is wrong, I just wrote some forumlas down in the hope of getting some method marks.

Rest of the paper wasn't too bad though, I think I've gotten the 9 marker right at the end. I got 9.5, but speaking to people afterwards everybody seemed to get different answers :confused:

Anyway, hopefully Mr M will be posting the answers later

ReputationRep:
    I also got coefficient as 1.73?!?!?!

I walked out of the exam thinking I had messed up question 4, but suddenly a small chance that I got it right?

Looking forward to hearing from Mr M!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdude)
    Please don't tell me the co-efficient of friction was 1.73!? I had that, but also thought it was impossible because it has to between 0 and 1, so I just crossed that all out and ended up coming up with the answer 0.426. I know that is wrong, I just wrote some forumlas down in the hope of getting some method marks.

Rest of the paper wasn't too bad though, I think I've gotten the 9 marker right at the end. I got 9.5, but speaking to people afterwards everybody seemed to get different answers :confused:

Anyway, hopefully Mr M will be posting the answers later

I think I did a very similar thing to you. I initially got 1.73, crossed it out, did some random stuff and ended up with about 0.43.
    So annoying, because if I had just stuck with what i thought was the wrong answer, i would probably have been right!
    Was such a trick, because there's never been a question before where the co-efficient of friction was over 1.
    I got 9.57 seconds for the last question, so pretty similar!
    Can't really think of many other really hard questions.

Actually when you had to find the length of the swimming pool, you had to intergrate the formula for Velocity, which was fine, but obviously after you intergrate you are left with +c at the end!

I just ingored this, when plugging in time, and got a length of 30m
    What did other people do for this question?
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Cricket)
    I think I did a very similar thing to you. I initially got 1.73, crossed it out, and ended up with about 0.43.
    That was such a trick, because there's never been a question before where the co-efficient of friction was over 1.
    I got 9.57 seconds for the last question, so pretty similar!
    Can't really think of many other really hard questions.

Actually when you had to find the length of the swimming pool, you had to intergrate the formula for Velocity, which was fine, but obviously after you intergrate you are left with +c at the end!

I didnt just ingored this, when plugging in t, and got a length of 30m
    What did other people do for this question?
    x
    I got 30m and assummed that c = 0 as s=0 when t=0? Is this right? Alot of people have coefficient of friction as 1.73......very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    when u get questions asking for minimum velocity how do u work them out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohinder)
    when u get questions asking for minimum velocity how do u work them out?
    A=0

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have this paper im doin M1 in june and need practice and have done all of the past papers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone - so what is the verdict?

Is the co-efficient of friction 1.73?

ReputationRep:
    yes it is I did this paper in class as practice and made loads of silly mistakes the coefficient of friction is 1.73

btw are Jan papers generally harder than June/May papers?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sohinder)
    btw are Jan papers generally harder than June/May papers?
    Why would you think they might be different?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 13, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.