Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I just bought a blender and really want to try and make some homemade soups.

Can anyone suggest some good, healthy and cheap soups to make as I'm bored of the tinned stuff??

I will rep anyone who interests my tastebuds :P

Leek and potato is delicious....

1. Chuck some bits of chopped onion in a pan with a little butter/olive oil and summer on a low heat for a minute or two;
    2. Add some bits of chopped leek and simmer some more (another minute or two);
    3. Add some bits of finely chopped potato and simmer some more (another minute or two);
    4. Add some stock, bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes or so (basically until the potatoes are cooked);
    5. Take off the heat, put in a blender if you like (optional), then add milk.

peel and chop to some vaguely sensible sizes:

1 Butternut Squash
    3 cloves of garlic
    1/2-2 chillis, deseeded (dependent on how hot you like stuff)
    1 onion

Cook the garlic, onion, chilli slowly in olive oil until softened, add:

1 Tbsp Ground Coriander
    1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
    1/2 Tsp Tumeric
    cook for 30-60 seconds until smelling aromatic

Add you butternut squash, turn the heat down and put a lid on, sweat for 10 minutes-ish then add enough water to cover the squash plus 2-3 stock cubes and a pinch of sugar.

cook until you can squish the squash with a spoon easily and then blend. Season to taste(lots of pepper!) and then add a BIG handful of chopped, fresh Coriander.

Possible things to add:

Double Cream(use more stock!)
    Coconut Milk(same)
    cheese of most varieties
    Toasted bread
    naan Bread
    some fresh chopped chilli

I made spicy parsnip soup from this recipe last week: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle2027250.ece

I also added a couple of carrots and half a red pepper because they needed using up.
    I found that the parsnips needed cooking for longer than the recipe said, and that it was better to add the stock a little earlier and simmer them in the stock, rather than trying to just cook them in the butter.

It was delicious, but a bit too rich. If I did it again, I'd use less cream, or maybe skip it altogether.

sweetcorn and redpepper:
    fry some onions until softened add chopped red peppers and sweetcorn + salt and pepper and any other seasonings you want and cook for ten minutes on a medium heat
    add stock and cook for ten mins
    blend + add cream

use one red pepper to one small tin of sweetcorn

celery soup:

fry onions and chopped celery for 5-10 minutes
    add stock and seasoning and cook for a further 10 minutes
    blend and add cream

I once made carrot and red pepper soup, the colour was amazing. Tasted pretty good too. Think I just used onion, carrots, pepper and some random spices.

I improvise, so far my faves:

Carrot and ginger

Spicey and sweet roast parsnip soup

Pumpkin and chilli

Carrot and Caraway is amazing:

Chop and fry an onion in some butter until softened. Add 8lb carrots, chopped, a teaspoon of caraway seeds and some sherry (i think 250ml, but I can't remember off the top of my head). Then, wet a piece of greaseproof paper and place it on top of the carrots - try to eliminate gaps between the edge of the pan & the greaseproof, put the lid on and leave to simmer for an hour. Add 2 pints of stock and liquidise. Best served with a swirl of cream & warm bread.

Spicy Marrow Soup:

Fry an onion in some butter. Add the marrow, de-seeded and chopped, some paprika, salt & pepper, & a pint of stock. Simmer for 20 mins. Liquidise. Add a can of coconut milk.

jamie oliver's english onion soup is AMAZING - basically fry of lots of leeks, onions, shallots, spring onions in butter, season with black pepper and sage, add some stock, then blend. pour into a bowl, top with crouton and cheese then pop it in the grill. YUM
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.