Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else here attending? It's mercifully short, at least!

ReputationRep:
    edited post

ReputationRep:
    Let's try and arrange a meet/post mortem once the times have been published... share the pain/joy!

ReputationRep:
    edited post

ReputationRep:
    I thought a place on a BVC course was pretty much a done deal?

Is it just Kaplan that is competitive in terms of entry?

ReputationRep:
    In fact I applied to Kaplan (London) and have heard nothing back yet.

Were you guys for Notts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b4u386)
    Indeedm we should. I'll PM you when we get our times.

Do you know anyone else that got through? One other person at Queen Mary did, but I've heard of lots of rejections at from applicants at other unis (UCL, Kings, Bristol, Warwick). I really want to know how many people applied.... We now have a 3 in 4 chance of getting in!
    I don't know anyone else that's got a place, but my degree was distance learning and finished last year so am out of the loop. I *really* hope I get through - would be great to be with such competent colleagues!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dalianatkinson)
    In fact I applied to Kaplan (London) and have heard nothing back yet.

Were you guys for Notts?
    Nope, London. I got my email on the 22nd of Jan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dalianatkinson)
    I thought a place on a BVC course was pretty much a done deal?

Is it just Kaplan that is competitive in terms of entry?
    Kaplan is only going to take 60 people for the London course this year, hence the competitiveness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jnrbox)
    Kaplan is only going to take 60 people for the London course this year, hence the competitiveness.
    Cheers for this.

It was my 5th choice or something so that might provide an explanation.

Good luck with the selection day.

ReputationRep:
    edited post

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else got the assessment day coming up this Saturday?

ReputationRep:
    To the people who are attending the Kaplan selection day....was Kaplan your first choice for the BPTC?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Kaplan was my first choice. Although I did speak to somebody who told me that they treated first and second choices equally.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply! I made it my third choice so I guess I can rule it out now!

ReputationRep:
    I put Kaplan as my second choice and got invited to the selection day. My slot's on Saturday.

Daliana -- if you put Kaplan as your fifth choice, they probably won't even have seen your application. Any choices after the third are used for clearing only.

ReputationRep:
    @ Ratatosk:

Mine is on Saturday as well, beginning at 10:15am. Are you just doing general interview type preparation rather than any legal revision?

Will be quite interesting to see the form that the oral and written advocacy exercises take.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I'm new to this but i've got a selection day invite for the 16th! I'd love to know how many people applied; I'm surprised to hear that people haven't been invited to the selection day though! Most everyone I know whom put it as first or second choice got an interview!

I do remember speaking to someone there once though and he said that the criteria to get an interview are:

2.1 (expected or achieved)
    Three mini-pupillages (or other such relevant work experience)
    Evidence of mooting/debating.

I didn't think those requirements were that stringent!

ReputationRep:
    I took the bptc at Kaplan. Happy to discuss queries privately.

Essentially, they're looking for evidence that you'll do well on the course. I really don't think that it's a tick box exercise: 2.1 tick, 3 minis tick, evidence of mooting tick.

My advice would be to do what barristers do. This advice applies at all stages of the pupillage application process. So:

1. There's a written exercise at Kaplan. A barrister would weigh up the different sides of the argument and come to a reasonable conclusion. Just do that, it's not difficult.

2. There's an advocacy exercise. A barrister would prepare it to go something like this: quick introduction of the key issues, go through your most persuasive points, conclude.

3. Interview. Be prepared to say why you want to be a barrister. Be prepared to say why you're keen on Kaplan. Be prepared to talk about the qualities you possess that make that career a good match.

Job done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hell_to_pay)
    I took the bptc at Kaplan. Happy to discuss queries privately.

Essentially, they're looking for evidence that you'll do well on the course. I really don't think that it's a tick box exercise: 2.1 tick, 3 minis tick, evidence of mooting tick.

My advice would be to do what barristers do. This advice applies at all stages of the pupillage application process. So:

1. There's a written exercise at Kaplan. A barrister would weigh up the different sides of the argument and come to a reasonable conclusion. Just do that, it's not difficult.

2. There's an advocacy exercise. A barrister would prepare it to go something like this: quick introduction of the key issues, go through your most persuasive points, conclude.

3. Interview. Be prepared to say why you want to be a barrister. Be prepared to say why you're keen on Kaplan. Be prepared to talk about the qualities you possess that make that career a good match.

Job done.

Sorry, you misunderstood me; I meant to get an interview in the first place you apparently need those three things (or that's what someone there told me!).

Thanks for the interview stuff though; I'm starting to get a little nervous!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.