Turn on thread page Beta

Chlamydia, worth talking about….. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Arghhh! This latest government campaign is driving me bonkers! – its gone way too far now; If you turn on the radio or TV all you hear is "Chlamydia, worth talking about" and it’s plastered all over huge billboards all over Manchester.

I mean honestly, its not ‘worth talking about’ – these adverts make it seem like us young people change sexual partners like socks and they make it seem as if where all utterly careless and stupid!

It’s not something you want to hear at 7AM in the morning on your way to work; ‘did you have a rash’ ‘just pee in a pot’ Please…shut up. And that slogan ‘worth talking about’ horrible; makes it seem like its something you go around bragging to your mates about having.

Honestly I'm fed up of hearing about Chlamydia every 10 mins! - I understand the importance of educating people about sexual implications but this has just gone too far, the amount of advertising is totally unjustified - I cant believe my taxes are paying for this rubbish!

Please someone tell me I’m not just imagining this…

ReputationRep:
    You're not imagining it . Now even Spotify is playing the ads!

ReputationRep:
    Lincoln's so inbred, we have our own brand of chlamydia. Srsly.

At uni, they gave us pants for every test we took. Unfortunately, by the time the second one rolled around, I had no pee, and I stole my room mate's.
    So, to summarise: I love chlamydia campaigns! Free pants!

ReputationRep:
    I understand what you mean! It is very irritating, especially if it constantly pops up when you're watching TV with your mum and it just gets a bit awkward!

However, many people believe our generation are mainly made up of idiots (like who appear on the likes of the trashy Jeremy Kyle Show) who can't practice safe sex, aim to get pregnant for benefits and don't have the mature capacity to be faithful to our partners etc. So these campaigns float about to try and 'tackle' these problems and give more awareness...which it is doing, just in an annoying way!

ReputationRep:
    If it might make your future partners get tested before they give it to you, I don't see the problem.

ReputationRep:
    People are generally more casual about sex nowadays. Even though these campaigns exist and are plastered over every type of media, people just don't think about it.

"Oh I won't use a condom. Doesn't matter, if she gets pregnant then she can just have an abortion".

Some people would just rather take a risk for the sake of not having to put a rubber sheath over their penis. Oh the effort.

Plus it is much better to be safe than sorry, when I was single I would visit the clinic every month, just in case. Got a shed load of free condoms aswell! Bonus!

ReputationRep:
    A LOT of young people are morons and need to be made aware...I live in an area of London where ppl shag each other in lifts, doorways and toilets so I think its appropriate.

It DOES get annoying for those of us who know how to stick a rubber on though.

ReputationRep:
    How is it annoying? At least you remember/know about them, which means they're having some success.

ReputationRep:
    Its ridiculous! :p: Its almost laughable at how out of touch the government are with us, and the lack of faith they have in us! Well it works both ways in that sense.
    My friend went to the doctors recently because she was feeling tired and stressed out and her doctor recommended her for a Chlamydia test!
    And even when I went to the doctors a few months ago because of ecsma, I was asked "Do you need ny advice on sex or contraception?".
    You will always get the idiots who have unprotected sex, but thats not relevant of age but of stupidity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xelarose)
    You will always get the idiots who have unprotected sex, but thats not relevant of age but of stupidity!
    Thus education/awareness is needed.

I know I don't have chlamydia but I wouldn't feel offended if a doctor or someone said I should get a test. It's not personal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by common_person)
    Thus education/awareness is needed.

I know I don't have chlamydia but I wouldn't feel offended if a doctor or someone said I should get a test. It's not personal.
    Not starting a dispute here because I agree with you, but it does not justify TV adverts constantly, radio adverts constantly, billboards, flyers, whatever.... Totally stupid amount of exposure to the subject, I cannot imagine what tourists must think of the younger population after watching TV then walking around London.... Fair play show a couple of adverts now and again but honestly its nearly every single set of adverts. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Why talk about it?

Just get yourself tested between each sexual partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielNewton)
    Not starting a dispute here because I agree with you, but it does not justify TV adverts constantly, radio adverts constantly, billboards, flyers, whatever.... Totally stupid amount of exposure to the subject, I cannot imagine what tourists must think of the younger population after watching TV then walking around London.... Fair play show a couple of adverts now and again but honestly its nearly every single set of adverts. :woo:
    The reason for all these adverts is because we have a high occurence of chlamydia. This is because many people are clearly too stupid/ignorant to use protection or get tested. If they make it seem like protection/testing is common and normal, then people will come round to it and incidence will be lower.

And many other countries are already far more open about sex stuff than we are. The tourists won't care, we have a rubbish reputation for sex anyway. These adverts are better than nothing being done.

ReputationRep:
    My mate had a chlamydia test and she said it was the most uncomfortable thing she ever experienced.

ReputationRep:
    Try going to a GP for contraception, aged 17, and telling them that you don't need a test.

'But youre statistically likely as a teen to have STIs, I don't care how well you know yourself, there might have been times at parties, that you don't remember.'

'No thank you'

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I was confronted while working at Starbucks by two young ladies (mid-twenties). I was on the till, and assumed they were just normal customers, but then one lifted up a clipboard and I knew I was in for an annoyance. They ended up asking me to to give myself a Chlamydia test during my break. I found the whole thing rather funny, but I'd had a cheeky BJ from some random chick a few weeks before and thought better safe than sorry. After finishing my shift I went over to their table and handed them a padded envelope with a still-warm container of my urine inside. As a reward for the embarrassment, I was given two free rubbers and some Maoam. And I got a discreet text a few weeks later saying I was clear. I came out of that pretty well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiiNGofLONDON)
    I was confronted while working at Starbucks by two young ladies (mid-twenties). I was on the till, and assumed they were just normal customers, but then one lifted up a clipboard and I knew I was in for an annoyance. They ended up asking me to to give myself a Chlamydia test during my break. I found the whole thing rather funny, but I'd had a cheeky BJ from some random chick a few weeks before and thought better safe than sorry. After finishing my shift I went over to their table and handed them a padded envelope with a still-warm container of my urine inside. As a reward for the embarrassment, I was given two free rubbers and some Maoam. And I got a discreet text a few weeks later saying I was clear. I came out of that pretty well!

Two points:

1. Unless she's carrying around some guys jizz who has chlamydia in her mouth, I doubt you'll get it.

2. FREE MAOAM?!? :O
    Haven't had that in yeeears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    A LOT of young people are morons and need to be made aware...I live in an area of London where ppl shag each other in lifts, doorways and toilets so I think its appropriate.
    Could you please elaborate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Two points:

1. Unless she's carrying around some guys jizz who has chlamydia in her mouth, I doubt you'll get it.

2. FREE MAOAM?!? :O
    Haven't had that in yeeears.
    1. Yeah but TBH it was a one-night stand with some chick from a Tokyo club, so who knows

2. YEEEAAAAAHHHH BOIIII!!! It tastes so fkn good. When I walked away I was thinking "I'd piss in a cup for free Maoam all day, every day!"

ReputationRep:
    People are coming round to all the kitchens in our accomodation tonight to give out tests. Sort of aggressive, but I though it was fair enough... And now I find they're going to knock on our doors unless we stick a note up saying we don't want to be disturbed. This, I do not appreciate. All of this because if my college at uni does more tests than the other colleges we get a fluffy chlamydia thing for the common room... Argh. Might go out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.