Turn on thread page Beta

Can you ever feel the presence of the dead?? watch

ReputationRep:
    It has been more than 7 years that my father has expired and many times the fragrance of his perfume lingers in the house and then disappears.We're shocked whenever that happens since I can feel the perfume myself:o:Anyone got any explanation for that???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I literally head butted my laptop when I read the title for this thread.

Wishful thinking is not the same as contact from the dead.
    Saved yourself from loss of money:cheers:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get that from time to time when it comes to my grandfather's scent. Dont listen to anybody who tells you otherwise, you believe what you want to believe! And even if the smell isnt real, at least it gives you comfort! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xelarose)
    Yeah, I get that from time to time when it comes to my grandfather's scent. Dont listen to anybody who tells you otherwise, you believe what you want to believe! And even if the smell isnt real, at least it gives you comfort! x
    Thanks buddy:shakehand: :angel: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    My mum claimed she smelt burnt toast when her dad and aunt died...

When my Gran died I was 9 and my sister was 7. we lived about a 10 min walk away from my grans house on the same estate and about a 20min walk away was a sainsburys, b&Q and other shops. anyway we walked to the shops one weekend (me, sis, mum, dad), passing my grans house on the way. on the way back we were stopped by a neighbour who said my gran had takin ill on a taxi coming back from tesco. my mum was obviously panicing and we walked as fast as we could home. On the way I seen a dead budgie lying on the pavement and even said "hey theres a dead budgie" D'oh! regret saying that. It couldnt of helped my mum. Later on we found that my gran had died... have always found that kind of spooky. probably just a coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere)
    Yes, everyone should just believe exactly what they want to believe:rolleyes:

Today I'm the queen of Sheba, tomorrow I think I'll be Santa Claus.
    Its a bit different from needing comfort somehow because your dads died dont you think? Dont be an ass. Sometimes people need to believe something to stop them from feeling completely low. So you've never done it?

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit different from needing comfort somehow because your dads died dont you think? Dont be an ass. Sometimes people need to believe something to stop them from feeling completely low. So you've never done it?

Her dad's dead. Hallucinating his `perfume' isn't going to change that, or provide any evidence that he's still `alive' in any form.

ReputationRep:
    Her dad's dead. Hallucinating his `perfume' isn't going to change that, or provide any evidence that he's still `alive' in any form.
    If it gives the person comfort, then meh. It isn't going to change anything or provide any evidence, true, but better than getting all depressed.

As long as the OP doesn't get sucked into paying money to fraudulent mediums or being prejudiced against others for not believing her Dad is still there. As long as it really only affects her and makes her happy... Death can be a difficult thing to deal with..

ReputationRep:
    Your an insensitive pratt. Nobodies saying he's still alive are they? But some people have the belief that the dead can watch over us if they want to, spirit world and all that ... there's nothing wrong in believing that if your so inclined to! Its not going to completely take away the pain of losing somebody you loved, but at least it makes you feel better. Have you ever grieved?

ReputationRep:
    I"ve had a similar thing happen to me. It was when I was expecting my second son, there were many times that I could smell pipe tobacco, my Mums dad smoked a pipe. Anyway, I felt convinced he was protecting me during my pregnancy so much so that I named my baby after him.

OP, I am sure that you can smell your dads perfume /aftershave, I also think that means he is with you in spirit.

ReputationRep:
    How ridiculous. When they're dead they don't have a presence... unless you keep the corpse next to your bed.

ReputationRep:
    Your an insensitive pratt. Nobodies saying he's still alive are they? But some people have the belief that the dead can watch over us if they want to, spirit world and all that ... there's nothing wrong in believing that if your so inclined to! Its not going to completely take away the pain of losing somebody you loved, but at least it makes you feel better. Have you ever grieved?
    Learn some basic English. There is something wrong in believing that; it's stupid and irrational. Believing something because it makes you feel better is just dumb - hey, I'm a millionaire, because I want to be!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Learn some basic English. There is something wrong in believing that; it's stupid and irrational. Believing something because it makes you feel better is just dumb - hey, I'm a millionaire, because I want to be!:rolleyes:
    You don't seem to understand what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skoji)
    You don't seem to understand what you're talking about.
    Ok. Could you please explain to me then how it is rational to believe something just because it brings you comfort?

ReputationRep:
    I'll be interested to see what tune you'll be whistling when death comes a-knockin' on your loved ones doors

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Could you please explain to me then how it is rational to believe something just because it brings you comfort?
    People are religious, aren't they? I don't care if you're not (I'm not) but you don't exactly go around telling them that they're stupid. It's pretty ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    I'll learn basic English when you learn common decency. Sound good to you?

Do you understand the pain people experience when a loved one dies? It consumes your entire life. For a short while it eats up every other emotion till there is nothing inside you but a cold, hollow shell that is hurting. Sure, it gets better in time but you never fully get over it. I'm somebody that believes the dead can watch over you. And I will fully admit it makes me feel better about death, and grievances. Maybe thats why I believe it, who knows? I'm not a fanatic, I dont believe i'm a "millionare" and I have a stronger grasp on the realities around me than you seem to do. All I know is that when somebody experiences the pain that death can bring you, it seems completely fair to me that they can grab hold of a little hope or faith to make them feel better.

ReputationRep:
    rightttt.. your dad use to wear perfume.. ?

i think your mum could be playing a practical joke on u, u will look back on this later in life and laugh about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miasma Envoy)
    Yeah, I can feel their presence.

When I've got my **** in one!
    You beat me by ONE MINUTE! Damn my slow Internet connection.

And... I have nothing that is serious to add to this thread, aside from have you ever actually been to see someone serious about this situation rather than visiting an Internet forum?
    Because if not, you probably should (and no, I'm not talking about a medium or any other kind of ******** witchcraft).

ReputationRep:
    My mum said after my dad's mum had died she smelt her perfume upstairs.
    Really strong old lady perfume, lol.

Tbh I believe in all that, like when you're home alone and you feel as if someone's starring at you, you can like feel someone near you & I really hope I'm not the only one who thinks that because I might sound like a bit of a crazy person.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.