Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Am i too old to apply at the age of 33?

Does the NHS or government pay the tution fee's?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    not too old.
    if it is your first degree you can get student finance.
    if you already have a degree and are applying to GEM then student finance will help with first year, then the nhs the years after that

check the money matter section here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Civvy)
    Am i too old to apply at the age of 33?

Does the NHS or government pay the tution fee's?

cheers
    1. No

2. NHS only pay tuition fees from fifth year of study onwards for a 5/6 year course, or from second year onwards for a graduate entry course.

Don't really know how top up fees work apart from that you pay them back afterwards and may get a tuition fee loan depending on circumstances but i'm sure someone else can answer that.

ReputationRep:
    does credit history have an impact on student tution finance?

ReputationRep:
    Too old? I think it's best to think about this in terms of how long it will take you to become a Consultant from now. If you apply for 2011 entry you won't be a doctor til you're at least 38/39 and a Consultant at around the age of 50. If that's fine with you, go for it. Think of how much your previous life experience will help you.

The Student Loans Company website may be of some use, as well as DirectGov. Basically, the various bursaries and student loans are means tested. I don't recall ever having my credit rating investigated, though previous student loans (as stated above) will affect your eligibility for further ones.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for those replies.

I am an Auxiliary nurse & community support worker of 12 years and I am aware of many consultants of age, in many ways than one they are more respected and knowledgeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Civvy)
    Thanks for those replies.

I am an Auxiliary nurse & community support worker of 12 years and I am aware of many consultants of age, in many ways than one they are more respected and knowledgeable.
    I'm an HCA too, mate. You're not alone. You've got three times more experience than I have, you must know healthcare like the back of your hand! Good for interviews Seriously, being an HCA provides so many opportunities to boost a medical school application that I don't know why more people don't do it, if only for a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljos)
    I'm an HCA too, mate. You're not alone. You've got three times more experience than I have, you must know healthcare like the back of your hand! Good for interviews Seriously, being an HCA provides so many opportunities to boost a medical school application that I don't know why more people don't do it, if only for a year.
    My HCA/Phlebotomoy is all the interviewers chatted about!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    not too old.
    if it is your first degree you can get student finance.
    if you already have a degree and are applying to GEM then student finance will help with first year, then the nhs the years after that

check the money matter section here
    You can get maintenance loan whatever age.

Don't know about tuition fee loan.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.