Turn on thread page Beta

Sutton Trust? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Didn't really know where this belonged, so feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate...

I was wondering if anyone knew how much the reputation of your College affects your chances of being accepted for the Sutton Trust Summer Schools? I fulfil the rest of the requirements (5+ A*'s, first generation to go to uni, receive EMA etc.), but as far as I'm aware my college have quite an impressive record for sending their students to reputable universities. Will this completely screw me over in terms of standing a chance of getting onto the 17th-20th August Medicine one at Cambridge, or is this the factor that they're most likely to be lenient over?

Thanks a lot,
    Houseelf

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I don't know the answer but I'd also be very interested to hear from anyone who does, I'm in exactly the same situation!
    Hoping to do social sciences at Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by houseelf)
    Hi guys,

Didn't really know where this belonged, so feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate...

I was wondering if anyone knew how much the reputation of your College affects your chances of being accepted for the Sutton Trust Summer Schools? I fulfil the rest of the requirements (5+ A*'s, first generation to go to uni, receive EMA etc.), but as far as I'm aware my college have quite an impressive record for sending their students to reputable universities. Will this completely screw me over in terms of standing a chance of getting onto the 17th-20th August Medicine one at Cambridge, or is this the factor that they're most likely to be lenient over?

Thanks a lot,
    Houseelf
    It shouldn't do as you meet all the other criteria, so its definitley worth a shot, but obviously no-one will know for certain. If you meet these extra criteria (dont know if you checked this or not) Taking Chemistry AND 2 subjects in either Maths, Physics or Biology / Human Biology at AS level AND taking at least one of those at A-level
    Priority given to those also taking 3 Maths / Science subjects at A-level then this should give you an extra boost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    It shouldn't do as you meet all the other criteria, so its definitley worth a shot, but obviously no-one will know for certain. If you meet these extra criteria (dont know if you checked this or not) Taking Chemistry AND 2 subjects in either Maths, Physics or Biology / Human Biology at AS level AND taking at least one of those at A-level
    Priority given to those also taking 3 Maths / Science subjects at A-level then this should give you an extra boost.
    Hey, thanks for the response.
    Yeah, I satisfy those "extra" criteria as well, so I'll definitely give it a go. From what I've read, people seem to be really impressed with it, so fingers crossed...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I satisfy those "extra" criteria as well, so I'll definitely give it a go. From what I've read, people seem to be really impressed with it, so fingers crossed...
    Yeah the responses from people who went in my year (im yr13 now) were really positive. I wish I could have gone, but sadly I only met the 5A/A* criteria.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if you can apply to both the UNIQ summer school at oxford, and the sutton trust summer school at cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleShootingStar*)
    Do you know if you can apply to both the UNIQ summer school at oxford, and the sutton trust summer school at cambridge?
    I honestly have no idea, sorry. But if you find out, be sure to let me know, because I hadn't even heard of this UNIQ one, and if you're wanting to go to both, it seems pretty likely I'd be interested in it too.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly have no idea, sorry. But if you find out, be sure to let me know, because I hadn't even heard of this UNIQ one, and if you're wanting to go to both, it seems pretty likely I'd be interested in it too.
    Thats odd you havn't heard about it, my college are advertising the UNIQ one i think they have forgotten about the sutton one though. I wanted to apply to the medicine on at cambridge(sutton), but i get my AS results on one of the days which is during the summerschool times, so i don't know if i will apply. The UNIQ one is for oxford, ive already applied for that, theres some threads on it here too, but i think the oxford one might have age restrictions whereas the sutton one says you can apply if your under 18 or something oh and its aimed more towards the disadvantaged people and i fit all their criteria, which makes it look good.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the Oxford Sutton trust last year and i was amazing!! I think that it works in your benefit if your school doesnt send a load of kids to oxbridge every year however im sure if u fulfill all other requirements you should be given a fair chance.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.