Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many of you wear a signet ring at University? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I received a signet ring on my 18th birthday on which my full coat of arms was engraved since i was my father's oldest son. However, while in continental europe one tends to display one's entire arms on a signet ring, the tradition in britain is to display only the crest (The crest is the part of a coat of arms which is above the shield, above the helmet and above the coronet.), It is usually a wreath and then an object or animal. The coronet is not part of the crest even if you are noble. In fact only Royalty in Britain is allowed to display a coronet or crown on their signet ring. Anyway, since i really love this country i decided that i would adopt the British custom and registered my arms as foreign achievement with the College of Arms in London (It is unlawful to use unregistered arms. Grants of arms are usually granted to those who served the crown, have a title or received a number of awards. A signet ring should always be worn on the small finger of the left hand... Sorry about this lesson on heraldry! :yep: ), ever since i had the ring re-made to show only the crest, i wore it everyday since. What do you think about signet rings? Do you wear one?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a bit naff.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my.

Personally, I think signet rings make you look like a chav, whatever's engraved on them.

ReputationRep:
    I have one bt it's not really fancy like yours sounds, its just small and simple.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly is the point in them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Oh my.

Personally, I think signet rings make you look like a chav, whatever's engraved on them.
    You wear it in remembrance of your ancestors accomplishments, in memory of what they have done and who you are. In countries such as Britain where only the oldest son inherits his Father's arms (Girls are also entitled to a coat of arms but it will be slightly different, and usually is presented in a losange instead of a shield in the center) it is also a symbol of prestige and dominance amonst other members of your family.

(Original post by amrh)
    I have one bt it's not really fancy like yours sounds, its just small and simple.
    It should be as spartan as possible. A simple gold ring with your crest on it. That's it. Only "nouveau riche" and labour politicians wear these horrible rings with diamonds, rubies and other things even though they are neither noble nor armigerous... The worse kind are those who wear these big platinum rings with their initials on them... The most philistine thing one can do... Shows bad manners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    It should be as spartan as possible. A simple gold ring with your crest on it. That's it. Only "nouveau riche" and labour politicians wear these horrible rings with diamonds, rubies and other things even though they are neither noble nor armigerous... The worse kind are those who wear these big platinum rings with their initials on them... The most philistine thing one can do... Shows bad manners.
    I'm starting to like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    You wear it in remembrance of your ancestors accomplishments, in memory of what they have done and who you are. In countries such as Britain where only the oldest son inherits his Father's arms (Girls are also entitled to a coat of arms but it will be slightly different, and usually is presented in a losange instead of a shield in the center) it is also a symbol of prestige and dominance amonst other members of your family.
    So that's famers from Gloucester, then, or, on the other side of my family, a load of tax dodging Cockneys.

Mm, can't wait to see MY design.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what your first post says at all. I thought you misspelt cygnet and then wondered if this was a new trend that passed me by.

ReputationRep:
    As a peasant, no I don't have one.

Who cares?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    So that's famers from Gloucester, then, or, on the other side of my family, a load of tax dodging Cockneys.

Mm, can't wait to see MY design.
    Well to be honest i am against the use of Grants of Arms by people who have not been noble at some point. Even though i do not have any titles (Lost them about 200 years ago because someone married a commoner), i am still armigerous, and this reminds me of my ancestors past. It is not only a tradition, but also an object which reminds me that i have been well educated, well fed and that i should never ever be egoistic, i should always help others because that's the only way we can better society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    As a peasant, no I don't have one.
    Perhaps you could, if you manage to stand out. There was a Welsh Farmer who was knighted for his contribution to the sheep industry. This man used the most ecological methods you can imagine and produced high quality family made wool.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a small one for my little finger that belonged to my granddad. It only has his initials on though.

ReputationRep:
    I studied a case in law where the guy stuck his whole arm up the girl and had a signet ring on, therefore cut up her insides and she died. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Is yours from Argos?

ReputationRep:
    So basically this entire thread is to point out that you come from such a posh family that you have your own coat of arms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    So basically this entire thread is to point out that you come from such a posh family that you have your own coat of arms.
    Posh? Not at all, i am interested to see how many people wear signet rings. In my school a few Upper Sixth formers wear them, oh and one of my girlfriends has a very interesting one, her crest features a puppy above the wreath. Wonderful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Is yours from Argos?
    Uh... Hell no!
    Mine was made by the Bavarian Court jeweler Theodor Heiden. But when i had to get it redone he was dead so now its Maximilian Heiden. I think they are amongst the best jewelers in europe and they're not as expensive as one might think which is good.

ReputationRep:
    geez OP get with the times, no one gives a crap about these traditions

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 30, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.