Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many of you wear a signet ring at University? watch

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Having a coat of arms is nothing special. My family has one, so what if some dude 200 years ago was a lord, means nothing nowadays. However saying that, if the majority of my male relatives were to die off i'd get to be a Baronet which would be pretty cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adampolar)
    geez OP get with the times, no one gives a crap about these traditions
    Maybe we just have different values. I still think nothing is more divine than sitting in someone's living room dressed in a three piece suit and to sip on a cup of earl grey. Other would rather go to a rock concert, well i like rock too but its a different thing you know...

ReputationRep:
    You're not British, then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    Well to be honest i am against the use of Grants of Arms by people who have not been noble at some point.
    *shudders* Not that you sound elitist or anything.

Even though i do not have any titles (Lost them about 200 years ago because someone married a commoner), i am still armigerous, and this reminds me of my ancestors past.
    OH NO! You mean someone married a commoner? You mean the ridiculous caste-style situations where someone's lucky birth determined their worth were somewhat challenged because OH MY GOODNESS, someone went and married someone who was...common? That's truly terrible.

It is not only a tradition, but also an object which reminds me that i have been well educated, well fed and that i should never ever be egoistic, i should always help others because that's the only way we can better society.
    Don'tget me wrong - I have a signet ring (even though I'm a girl, I have my dad's, because we don't have any guys in the family) and I love it. But for me, it's more of a reminder of my family's heritage/tradition, rather than a reminder "that I have been well-educated, well-fed and that I should never ever be egoistic". And yes, you should always help others, but hopefully you would remember this even if you weren't wearing a signet ring. Tbh, up until the previous two quotes that I responded to, I was tolerating it. But actually, people can keep nobility status even when they have "married a commoner" (have you not heard of "marrying into nobility"?) and even if they can't, what a shame it is to marry for love or interest rather than for status.

By all means, wear a signet ring. Just don't get stuck-up about it. You'se still the sames as us lot guv, and when it comes down to it, we don't care what the shiny thing on your little finger means.

ReputationRep:
    You wear it in remembrance of your ancestors accomplishments, in memory of what they have done and who you are. In countries such as Britain where only the oldest son inherits his Father's arms (Girls are also entitled to a coat of arms but it will be slightly different, and usually is presented in a losange instead of a shield in the center) it is also a symbol of prestige and dominance amonst other members of your family.

It should be as spartan as possible. A simple gold ring with your crest on it. That's it. Only "nouveau riche" and labour politicians wear these horrible rings with diamonds, rubies and other things even though they are neither noble nor armigerous... The worse kind are those who wear these big platinum rings with their initials on them... The most philistine thing one can do... Shows bad manners.
    From reading this, and some of your other posts later in the thread, it only solidifies my belief that noveau riche is better than not riche. who cares if you were once noble 200 years ago? Living in a broken manor house is, to me, as appealing as eating a badly cooked fois grois. I know what I would rather be . Dont worry thought, I am sure one day you will stop living in the past, ahem 2 centuries ago LOL.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    You're not British, then?
    (Original post by Accidentallylost)
    *shudders* Not that you sound elitist or anything.

OH NO! You mean someone married a commoner? You mean the ridiculous caste-style situations where someone's lucky birth determined their worth were somewhat challenged because OH MY GOODNESS, someone went and married someone who was...common? That's truly terrible.

Don'tget me wrong - I have a signet ring (even though I'm a girl, I have my dad's, because we don't have any guys in the family) and I love it. But for me, it's more of a reminder of my family's heritage/tradition, rather than a reminder "that I have been well-educated, well-fed and that I should never ever be egoistic". And yes, you should always help others, but hopefully you would remember this even if you weren't wearing a signet ring. Tbh, up until the previous two quotes that I responded to, I was tolerating it. But actually, people can keep nobility status even when they have "married a commoner" (have you not heard of "marrying into nobility"?) and even if they can't, what a shame it is to marry for love or interest rather than for status.

By all means, wear a signet ring. Just don't get stuck-up about it. You'se still the sames as us lot guv, and when it comes down to it, we don't care what the shiny thing on your little finger means.
    To respond to your post aswell as to the last person's post, no i am not British. Different countries, other customs! As i said in an earlier post, tradition and heritage are also important to me as it is really, the memory of your family's past achievements and military exploits for some which matters.

ReputationRep:
    Posh? Not at all, i am interested to see how many people wear signet rings. In my school a few Upper Sixth formers wear them, oh and one of my girlfriends has a very interesting one, her crest features a puppy above the wreath. Wonderful!
    well to answer that noone does not since like the 1600s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joseph1991)
    From reading this, and some of your other posts later in the thread, it only solidifies my belief that noveau riche is better than not riche. who cares if you were once noble 200 years ago? Living in a broken manor house is, to me, as appealing as eating a badly cooked fois grois. I know what I would rather be . Dont worry thought, I am sure one day you will stop living in the past, ahem 2 centuries ago LOL.

xxx
    I do not live in a manor. The nouveau riche are the most awful individuals on this planet because of their arrogance, their lack of knowledge and good manners and their extremly poor taste. Want to know what the typical "nouveau riche" looks like? He is usually german, drives a jaguar or a red ferrari, wears a pair of flip-flops with socks, folds his pocket squares (I prefer the term handkerchief. Indeed one should never fold an handkerchief, it should just be put into the jacket's from pocket as a sort of puff), wears a pink tie with funny animals on it, stretches his little finger out when he drinks champagne and is generaly unfriendly with employees as he believes that he is superior to them. I believe we should re-open concentration camps especially for them, the "nouveau riches". :rant:

ReputationRep:
    As someone with three passports and who has lived in four countries over my life (currently in Paris, hopefully in the UK for uni next year), I know that "different countries, other customs!" is very true. Tradition and heritage are important, def, and must be remembered. It's mainly your style of writing and the ideas that seem to come out from that that I disagree with. It's the bits where you refer to someone marrying a commoner that sends shivers down my spine...this is the 21st century sweetheart, and your past social status means a lot less than it did. In fact, you may be viewed as being very naff/posh/snob if you insist on artistocracy and nobility and so on. If you're from France, you'll probably know what I mean when I refer to the "bourges" statement that gets thrown at people who appear too snob. In the same way that the "de ___ " title doesn't mean as much in France as it did (though it is still relatively prevalent and recognised), a signet ring and/or formal appurtenance to nobility means much less in Britain that in once did. The people who will recognise it for what it is, belonging to a family of the "better-off", are often of an older generation than ours - certainly some Uni students will get it, but don't expect it to be universal.

ReputationRep:
    Married a commoner?!

And so i suppose thou is betrothed to a Lady of most becoming social graces?

I seriously hope you're joking. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    no offence but what is going on here? you sound like you are in some sort of dream world?!
    perhaps you didn't mean to and was honestly just wondering what other people thought of wearing such a ring but you sound like a complete show off! It's good to be proud of where you are from but there is a line you know and I think you crossed it!

Like I said, no offence, I don't know you and perhaps you are a real nice guy irl but i'm not convinced :P

ReputationRep:
    Literally my favourite TSR member

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sofi891)
    Married a commoner?!

And so i suppose thou is betrothed to a Lady of most becoming social graces?

I seriously hope you're joking. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
    I was just explaining why titles and honours are lost. I sure will marry a "commoner" myself provided that she has an amazing personality and adores me.

ReputationRep:
    I do not live in a manor. The nouveau riche are the most awful individuals on this planet because of their arrogance, their lack of knowledge and good manners and their extremly poor taste. Want to know what the typical "nouveau riche" looks like? He is usually german, drives a jaguar or a red ferrari, wears a pair of flip-flops with socks, folds his pocket squares (I prefer the term handkerchief. Indeed one should never fold an handkerchief, it should just be put into the jacket's from pocket as a sort of puff), wears a pink tie with funny animals on it, stretches his little finger out when he drinks champagne and is generaly unfriendly with employees as he believes that he is superior to them. I believe we should re-open concentration camps especially for them, the "nouveau riches". :rant:
    So anyone who has made money fairly recently and hasnt inherited it, are vile? x

ReputationRep:
    I wear my signet ring and title proudly. It is a shame that some peasants are blinded by their envy and mock such traditions and great ancestors :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    Wow these traditions fail to impress me and I choose not to honour them. Seems a lil naff and posh for me and my ancestors.

Imma go eat some humble pie om nom nom nom ..... :yum:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adampolar)
    geez OP get with the times, no one gives a crap about these traditions
    This internets forum comment in particular, you must be quite an envious fellow. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Well then you need to work on how you explain things like that. Calling someone who doesn't come from 'nobility' a 'commoner' sounds horrifically stuck up.

I'm all for being proud of your heritage but, believe it or not, it's possible to be an honorable person without having a signet ring or a title to show it.

ReputationRep:
    No. Because I don't own a cygnet ring OR go to university

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 30, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.