Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard of a signet ring. I thought a signet was a baby swan.

ReputationRep:
    For the record, I also don't think you should throw around phrases like 'we should re-open concentration camps especially for them' so lightly.

There are lots of people around who could get very offended by that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joseph1991)
    So anyone who has made money fairly recently and hasnt inherited it, are vile? x
    Only those who are arrogant, without taste and treat people like dogs.

(Original post by Sofi891)
    Well then you need to work on how you explain things like that. Calling someone who doesn't come from 'nobility' a 'commoner' sounds horrifically stuck up.

I'm all for being proud of your heritage but, believe it or not, it's possible to be an honorable person without having a signet ring or a title to show it.
    My dear, i am an armigerous commoner, yes, i am a Commoner. But one from a good family with a long heritage. I work as a gardner for these horrible "nouveau riche" every summer and scratch the dog crap from their parking and still there is nothing dishonourable in that. It is one's education, character and behaviour which makes a person better than another. Humility, courtesy and gentleness is the key.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't everyone have a coat of arms though? For example, mine would be:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Would that be what is displayed on the ring?

Or is this something entirely different?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    What exactly is the point in them?
    I wasn't aware jewellery was supposed to have a point.

ReputationRep:
    For the record, I also don't think you should throw around phrases like 'we should re-open concentration camps especially for them' so lightly.

There are lots of people around who could get very offended by that.
    What the nazis did was horrible, but we are talking about the "nouveau riche" who think they are superior even though they have no manners, or taste. They live a life of arrogance and disrespect towards others.

ReputationRep:
    I was meant to get one for my 18th.
    I'll probably get one sometime this year, with my initials on it (its a tradition in my family for the women to get their initials with maiden names on the ring)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    Uh... Hell no!
    Mine was made by the Bavarian Court jeweler Theodor Heiden. But when i had to get it redone he was dead so now its Maximilian Heiden. I think they are amongst the best jewelers in europe and they're not as expensive as one might think which is good.
    Your mask slipped...

ReputationRep:
    it just sounds like you feel as though youve done nothing of any worth or significance in your own life so you are desperately scrabbling to find a reason to think that you are any better than anyone else, and do so by waving around something so outdated that the only other people who would care are people exactly like you, and frankly why would you want to impress someone like that?

it also sounds like you know what youre doing and youre trying to justify it to yourself, and you wont let yourself think about it, really, for a second, because if you do you'll just realise that no one is buying it.

am i right..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Doesn't everyone have a coat of arms though? For example, mine would be:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Would that be what is displayed on the ring?

Or is this something entirely different?
    No, only armigers are entitled to a coat of arms. These are granted by letter patent which are signed by the Queen herself. Some commercial organizations have been trying to make people think that everyone that bears the same family name (ex: Smith) is entitled to the same coat of arms. This is not true, coats of arms are property and as such they are inherited or claimed. As for what would be on a signet ring, in England you would only display the crest which is the wreath and whatever is above the wreath.

ReputationRep:
    No, only armigers are entitled to a coat of arms. These are granted by letter patent which are signed by the Queen herself. Some commercial organizations have been trying to make people think that everyone that bears the same family name (ex: Smith) is entitled to the same coat of arms. This is not true, coats of arms are property and as such they are inherited or claimed. As for what would be on a signet ring, in England you would only display the crest which is the wreath and whatever is above the wreath.

Indubitably.

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleeptodream)
    it just sounds like you feel as though youve done nothing of any worth or significance in your own life so you are desperately scrabbling to find a reason to think that you are any better than anyone else, and do so by waving around something so outdated that the only other people who would care are people exactly like you, and frankly why would you want to impress someone like that?

it also sounds like you know what youre doing and youre trying to justify it to yourself, and you wont let yourself think about it, really, for a second, because if you do you'll just realise that no one is buying it.

am i right..?
    That is absolutely not the way i feel. But we are slipping away from the original question: How many people wear a signet ring at university?

ReputationRep:
    Posh? Not at all, i am interested to see how many people wear signet rings. In my school a few Upper Sixth formers wear them, oh and one of my girlfriends has a very interesting one, her crest features a puppy above the wreath. Wonderful!
    You have multiple girlfriends?

Oh how I hope you're not a troll :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    You have multiple girlfriends?

Oh how I hope you're not a troll :moon:
    I am not a troll and i meant Girl Friends, sorry, not girlfriends... Haha, i wish :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could, if you manage to stand out. There was a Welsh Farmer who was knighted for his contribution to the sheep industry. This man used the most ecological methods you can imagine and produced high quality family made wool.
    About as close as I get to royalty is chief inspector at Windsor Castle :p:
    The other side having what appears to be a shady past (lol)

I am quite happy without a crest, though they do look interesting. Quite happy being a bog standard doctor though.

ReputationRep:
    I am not a troll and i meant Girl Friends, sorry, not girlfriends... Haha, i wish :yep:
    Then keep up the good work Sir :hat2:

Oh and to answer the question, I sadly do not wear a signet ring. I fear it would slip off my deceptively girly fingers :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Married a commoner?!

And so i suppose thou is betrothed to a Lady of most becoming social graces?

I seriously hope you're joking. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
    Could everyone chill out? He's not saying that he looks down on Commoners, he's explaining that several hundred years ago, somebody in his ancestry married somebody who, at that time, was considered a Commoner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 15_step)
    Could everyone chill out? He's not saying that he looks down on Commoners, he's explaining that several hundred years ago, somebody in his ancestry married somebody who, at that time, was considered a Commoner.
    TSR does not approve of the upper class :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    TSR does not approve of the upper class :no:
    Or the middle class. Or anyone who is not poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Or the middle class. Or anyone who is not poor.
    Nor do they approve of this word.

They prefer working class innit.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 30, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.