Turn on thread page Beta

How many of you wear a signet ring at University? watch

ReputationRep:
    It's very amusing to find someone calling the nouveau rich "gaudy" in one breath and then describing how cultured it is to wear a signet ring with the next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    I'm not at uni, but I really wanted a signet ring for my 18th. I told my mum, who asked a jeweller the price. The answer was no
    I've been eating rice ever since i had to redo mine (so that it features the crest instead of the entire coat of arms and to make it bigger aswell) but i'm quite happy with it, i know i'll have it all my life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.posteriori)
    It's very amusing to find someone calling the nouveau rich "gaudy" in one breath and then describing how cultured it is to wear a signet ring with the next.
    I am not saying that people should have one, i am glad to have mine for what it represents and because when my father dies i will become the head of my family which is a big responsibility. It doesn't necessarily indicate someone's social class even though it can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    And i hereby present my appologies if you indeed believe that i wasn't quite clear. Nouveau riches are generally rich but not always. There is of course a lot of poor Spießer.
    I was just a bit confused when you said they are from certain countries. I apologise, too, for not quite seeing your point. Still, I would add to this description certain (elderly) women from Eastern European countries who add volume to their lips surgically and wear fur coats, leopard tops and too much make-up. Perhaps this is a generalisation, too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    I was just a bit confused when you said they are from certain countries. I apologise, too, for not quite seeing your point. Still, I would add to this description certain (elderly) women from Eastern European countries who add volume to their lips surgically and wear fur coats, leopard tops and too much make-up. Perhaps this is a generalisation, too?
    Grauenhaft diese Weiber! Indeed horrible!

ReputationRep:
    Grauenhaft diese Weiber! Indeed horrible!
    :yes: Although I had to chuckle at "Weiber" :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend wears one with his initials on it but I think it's kind of grotesque to be honest. Still, it's not my choice to make ...

ReputationRep:
    Re: Nouveaux-riche...
    Moscow was full of them when I lived there - post-Soviet oligarchs and rich bourgeois who suddenly cracked out the champagne and caviar, having unearthed the family riches and sold them off, often incredibly unscrupulously. They were hilarious and rather piteous oftentimes, rather than terrible/hateful.
    I've met some very arrogant NR, but then again, I've met some very arrogant "less fortunate ( ) " people, and very arrogant people with old family money. People have money, they like to flash it around and show it off, but I also know many who subtly give very important sums to charity every year, without asking for recognition for it.
    Assume makes an ass of you and me. Let's try to avoid overgeneralising a whole class of people, shall we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    You know, the University of Sheffield is a family, too .
    Oh I know you can get academic signet rings, I might get one myself when I graduate, but this guy's talking about some heraldic coat of arms dating back to the Normans or something!

ReputationRep:

He has 4 :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Quite.

Back on topic. I know 2 people here who wear signet rings whether they are entitled genuinely I do not know.
    Anybody can wear a signet ring, but to display a family coat of arms you have to either have noble ancestry or have a new one granted by the College of Arms, which generally requires professional distinction, to have been a QC or significant charitable or public work. Having a degree helps, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Anybody can wear a signet ring, but to display a family coat of arms you have to either have noble ancestry or have a new one granted by the College of Arms, which generally requires professional distinction, to have been a QC or significant charitable or public work. Having a degree helps, too.
    That's what I meant by a genuine signet ring. sorry for the lack of clarity/incorrect phrasing

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for them as long as they're tasteful and discreet. One thing I cannot stand is people wearing them just to prove their worth and make "poorer" people feel small and insignificant by waving them around in their faces.
    I actually have one but I don't like to wear it everyday because that would make me look like i'm trying to fit in with the people mentioned above, which in fact would be my worst nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Indeed. And you forgot to mention that it is unlawful to use a non-registered coat of arms. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I am not saying that people should have one, i am glad to have mine for what it represents and because when my father dies i will become the head of my family which is a big responsibility. It doesn't necessarily indicate someone's social class even though it can.
    Oh, it's very clearly associated with social class. Such esoteric matters as lineage and bloodline have been, almost exclusively, the preocupation of the elite. The lower classes were busy starving while their betters designed coats of arms, and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    LOL is this for real?

OP wear what you like, no one gives a **** about your crests and your nobleness.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. And you forgot to mention that it is unlawful to use a non-registered coat of arms. :yep:
    In England? Are you sure? Can you cite any source for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetroll)
    In England? Are you sure? Can you cite any source for this?
    Errr...

ReputationRep:
    Is this like the law that it's illegal to deface the coin of the realm, in that nobody today faces any possibility of going to court for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Is this like the law that it's illegal to deface the coin of the realm, in that nobody today faces any possibility of going to court for it?
    Well the law is more enforced in Scottland than it is in England. However if you walked into the College of Arms with a signet ring bearing something you are not entitled to, walked into a courtroom even for another matter, or if anyone reported you, they would indeed arrest and try you. Did you know there was a Special Court for that sort of crime? I believe the highest punishments can go from a heavy fine to the loss of your visa (if you are a foreigner) to two years in jail.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 30, 2013
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.