Turn on thread page Beta

How many of you wear a signet ring at University? watch

ReputationRep:
    If I marry my boyfriend then I'll be part of a family that has a coat of arms. My mum married into a surname that has one too. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I don't like signet rings. I think they look pretty tacky . . . or maybe that's just because the only people I see wearing them are portly, middle-aged bullies.

I love heraldry and coats of arms, etc. It's a very elegant aspect of our history and culture. It's just the rings that bother me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm too common for this thread. Up the peasants! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)

It should be as spartan as possible. A simple gold ring with your crest on it. That's it. Only "nouveau riche" and labour politicians wear these horrible rings with diamonds, rubies and other things even though they are neither noble nor armigerous... The worse kind are those who wear these big platinum rings with their initials on them... The most philistine thing one can do... Shows bad manners.
    QFT. Just a shame that as the 2nd son, I don't get a signet ring!

ReputationRep:
    i only know one person who does at my uni, he also drives a convertible mercedes and is rich as ****

ReputationRep:
    I think it's really great when they actually mean something or actually have sentimental value attached to it.
    If I had the opportunity, I'd wear one. Sounds great!

ReputationRep:
    but also an object which reminds me that i have been well educated, well fed and that i should never ever be egoistic
    Well, it's obvious that you've not educated to an incredibly high standard as your post is littered with mistakes. Not to mention the american spellings, and you seem to be rather egoistical.
    I wonder, how big is your waist band?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need a ring to remind you who you are. I know my great grandfather was a sir, a Lord Justice, and held in very high regard. He also wrote a couple of books. That doesn't really effect me.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I suppose we need a few risible nutcases to make history more entertaining.

ReputationRep:
    Posh? Not at all, i am interested to see how many people wear signet rings. In my school a few Upper Sixth formers wear them, oh and one of my girlfriends has a very interesting one, her crest features a puppy above the wreath. Wonderful!
    You have more than one girlfriend then?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so well regarded in high society that other families often give me theirs to wear. I have amassed a very large collection. Many a man has been honored by me wearing his family's signet ring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    You have more than one girlfriend then?
    I allready gave an answer to this question, i do not, its a spelling mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earl Nuce)
    I'm so well regarded in high society that other families often give me theirs to wear. I have amassed a very large collection. Many a man has been honored by me wearing his family's signet ring.
    PLEASE. Wear mine too! It would be such an incredible honour for me...I think I would die. Truly, I beg you. :P

ReputationRep:
    Did you get yours from Argos too?

ReputationRep:
    Well the law is more enforced in Scottland than it is in England. However if you walked into the College of Arms with a signet ring bearing something you are not entitled to, walked into a courtroom even for another matter, or if anyone reported you, they would indeed arrest and try you. Did you know there was a Special Court for that sort of crime? I believe the highest punishments can go from a heavy fine to the loss of your visa (if you are a foreigner) to two years in jail.
    You believe a police report about this would result in an arrest? Too funny. We can test this if you like. I'll display an inappropriate coat of arms, and you go into your local police station and report it. You won't get the reaction you're expecting.

You still have not cited any source for there being any criminal sanction in England. Nor will you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    i only know one person who does at my uni, he also drives a convertible mercedes and is rich as ****
    Oh he's the guy that commutes in from Windsor every day isn't he?

I swear UCL Law must have the highest number of eccentrics outside of SSEES :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    "one of my girlfriends"
    do you mean you have more than one girlfriend... (< seen that you've already answered im another who only skims doesnt fully read7 pages... sorry)

it sounds to me like this is a pointless thread just to show off....
    i didnt look how old you are but personally i think there somewhat ugly, but thats mostly because im realllyyyyyy picky,
    For a mature gentleman i think its fine its nice even
    but for someone my age....just no... it makes them seem well...stuck up.... you said yourself title was lost from your family 200 years ago, stop trying to cling on to being someone special!....
    i have images of you as being someone dressed head to toe in jack wills, with a blackberry in your pocket for an ipod is too common.........
    a lil bit of a draco malfoy character.....

but meh
    i respect that you actually understand some of it.... even if you do have to do so in a annoyingly looking down on people way....
    x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OP, what's your problem with noveau riche?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x)
    "one of my girlfriends"
    do you mean you have more than one girlfriend... (< seen that you've already answered im another who only skims doesnt fully read7 pages... sorry)

it sounds to me like this is a pointless thread just to show off....
    i didnt look how old you are but personally i think there somewhat ugly, but thats mostly because im realllyyyyyy picky,
    For a mature gentleman i think its fine its nice even
    but for someone my age....just no... it makes them seem well...stuck up.... you said yourself title was lost from your family 200 years ago, stop trying to cling on to being someone special!....
    i have images of you as being someone dressed head to toe in jack wills, with a blackberry in your pocket for an ipod is too common.........
    a lil bit of a draco malfoy character.....

but meh
    i respect that you actually understand some of it.... even if you do have to do so in a annoyingly looking down on people way....
    x
    I never look down on anyone! Please, please read this Thread's title again. I am merely asking a question and i was clearly explaining what a signet ring is because it seems that some people consider anything no matter how vulgar to be a signet ring. For those who skim pages, a signet ring:

- Does NOT feature someone's initials (Rings that feature someone's initials are very low class...)
    - Feature someone's coat of arms or if the person lives in England, it features only the crest of his coat of arms (The wreath + Anything situated above the wreath)
    - Is not made of Silver nor Platinum. It is always made of gold.
    - Is worn on the little finger of the left hand.
    - Depending on how you wear it, (coat of arms turned towards the outside) it can mean that your heart is free or (if its turned towards you then...) it can mean that you are engaged or in love. However, this is just a tradition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u_dun_noe)
    OP, what's your problem with noveau riche?
    They are rude, tasteless and arrogant scum. You know to be considered "nouveau riche" one does not need to be rich, its a condition, an expression to designate a very low class person who treats other people poorly because they think they are superior.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 30, 2013
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.