Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many of you wear a signet ring at University? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand this forum, the OP asked a simple question to which the answer should be yes you wear a signet ring or no you don't wear one. Instead he gets a ton of judgemental posts criticising him, now you tell me who's the worst person in this scenario the judgemental one or the one asking a simple question about if people wear signet rings to university or not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just a mere peasant what did I know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillV3)
    I don't understand this forum, the OP asked a simple question to which the answer should be yes you wear a signet ring or no you don't wear one. Instead he gets a ton of judgemental posts criticising him, now you tell me who's the worst person in this scenario the judgemental one or the one asking a simple question about if people wear signet rings to university or not.
    Thank you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have one, I don't know what one is. I don't think my family has even a coat of arms, we were upper middle class at some point in the victoria/edwardian and before that, but that's as noble as we got.

ReputationRep:
    The OP would have to be particularly clueless to believe that a significant number of people wear signet rings on a regular basis. I very much doubt that this was the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    I allready gave an answer to this question, i do not, its a spelling mistake.
    Well sorry, I couldn't be bothered to read through all 7 pages to see if it had been said already.

ReputationRep:
    looooooooool this thread is jokes!

no, i dont wear a signet ring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia!)
    I never look down on anyone! Please, please read this Thread's title again. I am merely asking a question and i was clearly explaining what a signet ring is because it seems that some people consider anything no matter how vulgar to be a signet ring.

But its the way your coming across right now! with every response you give....
    i know you were only asking a question which i did answer....with added extras free of charge

ReputationRep:
    I would go for the signet ring question.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really speak for the whole University, but in my halls, which has a population just over 300, about a fifth have them. However, I am sure this is a very high proportion compared to the average.

I do have a slight problem with them, and for that reason, do not wear mine, although many wear them out of family tradition, they seem to be used to fit in and identify with the "right" sort of people. You'll find that a social group will either have a high proportion of ring bearers or none at all. I have a funny feeling you might want to wear one for the wrong reason, given your behaviour on this thread.

Even so, several people here have coats of arms on their rings, I wasn't even aware that this was a foreign tradition. In regards to which hand they are to be worn on, the consensus is that they are to be worn on your non-dominant hand.

P.S. I am really sorry, I thought this was a Jan 2011 thread, not 2010.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see any issue in wearing a signet ring, to be honest. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage. I don't personally have a signet ring (hooray for being the youngest daughter.), but my father still wears his. Sometimes, however, he sometimes wears it on a chain around his neck (easily hidden under a shirt) when the situation isn't appropriate to wear it on a finger.

But, from my own experiences, no one has ever really had any problem with them. Anyone who understands the symbolism behind them don't say anything (they probably have one of their own) and anyone who doesn't understand the symbolism usually just writes them off as a normal, if somewhat fancy, ring. I don't think you'd have any issues with wearing it. That is, so long as you don't run around rubbing it in everyone's face that you have the ancestry that allows you a signet ring while they don't.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh I never knew there was so many people still tracking their connections to minor nobility and using these rings as signals between each other. Interesting from an anthropological point of view.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, i have one have had since i was 18 and i wear it every day and night unless i'm out on a night a university. A lot of the guys i know at uni are the same so in answer there are a few!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 30, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.